Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Buying/Selling on Card Talk -- any chance for a change?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/7837009096

November 03, 2018, 10:59 AM
webjon
Buying/Selling on Card Talk -- any chance for a change?
I was just wondering if the owners/admins of Card Talk would ever consider allowing collectors to buy and sell on the site.

I think it may be something to help bring more traffic to the site, and I also think it could be a way to assist collectors who are stung by the shipping charges that are seen on eBay, and give another avenue of sorts to the collectors discussing disposing of their collections.

I'm also curious what other collectors think -- would allowing buying/selling on Card Talk be a benefit to the site or a detriment?
November 03, 2018, 11:18 AM
barobehere
I am for it. I don’t see much difference in trading card for card vs cash for card.
November 03, 2018, 11:21 AM
TC00
I was just mentioning this in an unrelated thread.

I know Beckett Media has taken over NSU so there could be more scope for this now?

I think it's more to do with having a licence to sell (or act as 'go between') and having the man power or system in place to resolve seller/buyer disputes, refunds, returns etc.

Not to mention adding website security for payments to protect major personal information eg bank details. The cost of re-design to implement features.

It's really a whole new ballgame (Cardgame?) and would change entirely how this board would operate.

It's sadly not as simply as adding a new 'area' to the existing forums.

I think this is why the current free trading system and a bit of common sense on the cardtalkers part works best.

Many remember what a disaster the Mystery Box was and that was just a box of free stuff!!

I think, as you mentioned, with the rising shipping costs means more people will try to sell locally these days over internationally. This could mean some cardtalkers would feel disenfranchised not being able to sell/buy equally with other members.

At the moment this is just a forum for people who like to read NSU magazine and a few happen to trade cards.

Ironically implementing a buy and sell 'feature' (much larger than that name implies) would basically turn it into an ecommerce website like Ebay.

The exception would be if they were willing to extend the existing Store on the NSU website itself to allow CardTalkers to sell their own items.
November 03, 2018, 11:37 AM
Raven
No business would allow you to use their site for free to make money. They would rightly want some fees for facilitating the transaction and getting buyers and sellers together. It would mean setting up a new exchange and I don't think Beckett would do that on Card Talk.

I wouldn't be opposed to it if they did. I would be happy to try it. I just don't think they would go for it, as it is not as easy as just saying go ahead and post cards you are selling and take offers.
November 03, 2018, 12:56 PM
MarcG
I would doubt they would allow a Buy/Sell section on here...

That is why the Trade section on here is okay since there is no exchange of money between members.

November 03, 2018, 02:16 PM
wuher
We do not need a buy or sell section
But should allow people do it in the trading section at there own risk, because we do the same in trading, if the trade does not arrive nsu does not pay out compensation, know who you are dealing with keep tracking info visible etc etc
I would always buy the odd card at the right price with the right shipping price and understand the risks involved

Where are all those Star Wars parallels

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble
November 03, 2018, 02:23 PM
wolfie
It all sounds wonderful but the first time there was a problem people would be contacting NSU / Beckitt to try and sort it out for them so it is never going to happen.

November 03, 2018, 06:35 PM
catskilleagle
I was talking to another forum member about this a few months ago. We were all for it.

I'm not sure why it would be complicated. The Fossil Forum (thefossilforum.com) allows sales among members who've posted at least 50 times to weed out people just there to sell. The site states up front that you're on your own if there's a problem. They are out of it - just giving you a place to make a deal just as with trades. There wouldn't be any credit card transactions. We can arrange our own Paypal or send checks/money orders. I would assume most deals would be under $25.

Thinking about it more, one complication for NSU would be all the photos. Maybe after the deal is done or a certain amount of time, the photos would be taken down or photos would just be sent member-to-member.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I was just wondering if the owners/admins of Card Talk would ever consider allowing collectors to buy and sell on the site.

I think it may be something to help bring more traffic to the site, and I also think it could be a way to assist collectors who are stung by the shipping charges that are seen on eBay, and give another avenue of sorts to the collectors discussing disposing of their collections.

I'm also curious what other collectors think -- would allowing buying/selling on Card Talk be a benefit to the site or a detriment?

November 03, 2018, 07:32 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I was talking to another forum member about this a few months ago. We were all for it.

I'm not sure why it would be complicated. The Fossil Forum (thefossilforum.com) allows sales among members who've posted at least 50 times to weed out people just there to sell.
[/QUOTE]

I would be all for it too, but correct me if I'm wrong, the Fossil Forum is probably administered by a group of members using Facebook and other platforms. Creating a private club is different than using a business attached website. Also the Beckett home page has a marketplace for sports cards, enough said about that. Smile
November 03, 2018, 11:51 PM
webjon
I am a member of a lot of hobby forums for various hobbies -- the vast majority are being run by a business, and I can't think of any others that do not have a buy/sell area.
November 03, 2018, 11:57 PM
piko
i am for buying and selling in Card Talk but as said there are all sorts of pitfalls non payment non recieving only two you only have to go to the Blowout forum to see the pitfalls members checking up on sellers that dont have feedback etc and putting up posts that name sellers and traders some of it really nasty i remember my first trade on Card Talk the parcel was not delivered and as it being my first trade I was basically knocked over just as well the person i traded with WILL was understanding I think about a month later the parcel was returned to me so i immediately sent it back and he got it all good but if something like this happens how dose it go down.If it is allowed it should be at your own risk no comeback no moaning take the hit but I dont think that will be good enough for most people and that they will have to have certainty I an for giving it a try but I do not think it will fly
November 04, 2018, 12:06 AM
Raven
quote:
I am a member of a lot of hobby forums for various hobbies -- the vast majority are being run by a business, and I can't think of any others that do not have a buy/sell area.

Are you talking about sites like Blowout? COMC? Places where the business is doing business selling the various hobby items?

That isn't what I'm talking about and it isn't how you presented the topic. You were wondering if Card Talk would allow buying and selling on the site.

If Beckett wanted to change Card Talk and set it up with a marketplace, they probably could. Would they do that for free and just let people sell their cards here? No, why should they?

If you know a card website that does that for nothing, and is not the card seller or takes a piece of the action, I would welcome the tip.
November 04, 2018, 01:28 AM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Are you talking about sites like Blowout? COMC? Places where the business is doing business selling the various hobby items?

I'm talking about forums that are owned or run by a business that allow forum members to buy/sell without fees.
November 04, 2018, 01:33 AM
webjon
I'm curious to know why people think that allowing buying/selling would be a bigger risk than allowing trading.

Nearly every way to pay someone online has built in protections as well as some sort of a resolution system. If anything that seems like it should be less risky than allowing trading that has no built in protections or resolution system at all.

Of course if you send cash then you are assuming a lot of risk -- then again I don't see a difference in risk in sending $20 in cash for a purchase or a $20 card in a trade.
November 04, 2018, 02:44 AM
hammer
If you paid via PayPal for the card you would have PayPal cover in a dispute (just don't send as a payment as a gift). I would be okay with it just being allowed as part of the trading section.
November 04, 2018, 09:11 AM
Raven
quote:
I'm curious to know why people think that allowing buying/selling would be a bigger risk than allowing trading.

It's not a bigger risk, but losing cold hard cash is a lot harder than losing something you were willing to trade and most likely didn't want in the first place A lost trade or a poor trade can be written off as a learning experience. Cash, when lost, is robbery.

You did not give me that tip about a place for collectors to sell their own cards for free. Wasn't that what you were suggesting Card Talk do? It has a trading section now. It could just allow a buying and selling section without getting involved in the transactions at all. Without adding any more software. Without assuming any responsibility. Beckett could just say go ahead and post your cards with prices. But who does that? Why would they want to do it if the business that runs the site gets nothing for it, either as the seller or by way of fees or a piece of the purchase price?

What you are proposing would be a radical departure on Card Talk, which is just a forum to talk about cards. NSU never took that step. Beckett sells on its own home page marketplace, I only see sports cards really. You would get something similar here if it was done, I'm sure. You want the simple idea of taking trading non-sport cards and just add the selling part. It's not done that way, it brings on all the other things with it. I'm not opposed to another option to sell cards, but understand that selling for cash brings way more issues than just swapping cards.
November 06, 2018, 06:18 PM
promoking
I would definitely welcome a buy and sell section. I am also a stamp collector and the largest stamp forum in the world allows members with over 25 posts to buy and sell. If a transaction goes south as a result of the buyer or seller the "bad publicity"(posts) is enough to police the transaction without the administrator's input. If there is outright fraud(someone stole money) then that individual is banned. So, a little input from the admin may be necessary once in a while, but the additional traffic to this website would certainly compensate for the occasional input from the webmaster.