Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer Ants!!
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
Ahhhh, who's been on this forum long enough to remember killer ants?
I've just read a web article that says Cambridge University have just completed a study that shows that the total weight of all ants on earth now exceeds the total weight of all humans. (cue Outer Limits sound track). And....just to give you something to think about while you are trying to sleep tonight here's some latest DVD offerings.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey, we remember! We're up to 42 pages on the continuing "Card Talk's Greatest Hits" forum devoted to them:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop....6075901/m/9466073283

But it's been 2-1/2 years and it's time for a renewal. Eek

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Oh well, looks like only we three can remember killer ants.
Still, I would have thought that the Wolverhampton Lupus, Him with a face like a bishop and the inimitable speaker of Nevermore would have remembered the thread.

Ahh well, you know what they say about the mind when you get old.....

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
He stressed that such attacks are rare, but said they are important because they show the need for people to give wild animals plenty of space.

Generally speaking, the biggest danger to hunters in the USA is other hunters. The animals they are hunting rarely have a chance.

Now hikers and campers are the ones that get hurt in unexpected encounters.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I think it would be kind of embarrassing to be killed by an anteater.

Death by killer ants is somehow more befitting.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I think it would be kind of embarrassing to be killed by an anteater.

Death by killer ants is somehow more befitting.

Actually Don, it's a tough call. Is a quick death by having your guts ripped out by a beastie with claws like pocket knives better than death by being stung and slowly devoured by a hundred thousand little nasties which could prolong your death by several hours?
Hmmm suddenly the ant-eater seems a better option!! Frankly, I would prefer to stay in a country where there is no snakes at all, no poisonous spiders ('cept one and he's already endangered)and no scorpions, killer ants or any other type of creepy crawly. Wait! I already do live in such a country! God bless New Zealand.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"The venemous Australian Redback spider has established a foothold in some parts of New Zealand, notably in Taranaki and Central Otago."

And look out for those invading ants. Do a Google search on "Argentine Ants Attack Auckland," disturbing in more ways than its anemic assonance.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Mr Allender you disappoint me. I would have thought that someone of your academical standing would have researched your sources a bit better than that!
Had you have checked you would have found that your first reference Argentine Ants Attack Auckland has a home page that clicks through to that fine old American scientific organisation The Boys and Girls Club of Central Arkanses. Further, the so called Landcare Research organisation is not funded or recognised by the NZ Government and is strictly a two man interest group.
Trust me, Argentinian ants are the least of our problems compared with the far more serious situation of my new Samsung Galaxy's crappy battery life.