Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACEO Sketch Cards?
 Login/Join

posted
What exactly are ACEO sketch. I seen some on EBAY that I liked for only $.99. just wandering why thay are so cheap.

Posts: 58 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks

Posts: 58 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does any one collect these cards, are they cheaper because there not from a card compay. Does it depend on the artist.

posted Hide Post
deleted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nicnac,

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skywalker007:
What exactly are ACEO sketch. I seen some on EBAY that I liked for only $.99. just wandering why thay are so cheap.

Thank you for asking this question, as I was wonder what it meant too.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
In case you have other questions on terminology, you can read this glossary.....

http://scoundrelpublishing.com...iewtopic.php?t=15186

Does NSU have a section that's similar to the link above?

Ttyl, Tim

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first sketch cards i got were from lotr masterpeices 2. I was so happy to get 2. Just to know some artist took the time to draw on such a small card is amazing. So now i'm might just collect sketch cards from non-sport and aceo. Not for the money, but for the love of the art. Has any one ever bought a aceo card that was a copy or real. I think you can tell from the texture of the card if it,s real or not. P.S. love all the art, love all the the artist and the companies that support it.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skywalker007:
Has anyone ever bought a aceo card that was a copy or real. I think you can tell from the texture of the card if it,s real or not.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. As far as I have known ACEOs are original sketch cards. Now its perfectly possible that the image has been drawn numerous times, so it may not be strictly a 1/1 sketch, but it shouldn't be a printed copy. It wouldn't be a sketch at all than, just an unlicensed card.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Actually, I've seen several instances of "prints" of sketch cards being sold by artists. You have to careful as to the wording, because they usually say something about original artwork, but it's still a print

There's also the instance where Breygent made reproductions of their John Wayne sketch cards. I always wondered if anyone got fooled by those. It was nice though, as the sketches are never all seen. More people can appreciate the art this way.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can echo Ed's comment as I have a large collection of ACEO's and of course include any commissions I may have requested plus a small collection of prints of ACEO's. These prints being bought either because the original ACEO was out of my price range or because of the size or because of availability. All have been bought direct from the Artist.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
ACEO stands for art cards, editions and originals. Editions would include reproductions.

If I remember correctly, the John Wayne reproductions were stamped "Repro" on the front.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Actually, I've seen several instances of "prints" of sketch cards being sold by artists. You have to careful as to the wording, because they usually say something about original artwork, but it's still a print

There's also the instance where Breygent made reproductions of their John Wayne sketch cards. I always wondered if anyone got fooled by those. It was nice though, as the sketches are never all seen. More people can appreciate the art this way.

Ed

Now I have learned something because I always thought an ACEO meant that it was an artist's sketch. However the Breygent John Wayne reproductions are based on sketches in the licensed product, so I wouldn't put them in the same catagory as an ACEO print, but it does get confusing.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I saw a lot of Artist in eBay/Internet selling their original artwork and prints. The good artist always specify in the description what you get in the sale.

Last week I was looking one that he/she said take "commissions", but I saw some of the items descriptions and was for prints of his/her artwork.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of Faerydae
posted Hide Post
I've been selling ACEOs for the last 4+ years now ... there is only ONE rule for ACEOs - that they need to be 2.5 x 3.5 in size.

They can be original art, or prints, or even photographs or photographic prints! They can be sculpted, sewn, carved, pieced, layers, puzzled, glued, stapled, soldered, welded, fused, - and out of any material, from glass, to plastic, to clay, to paper, to metal, fabric, you name it.

ACEOs are rather more broad in subject matter and type than sketch cards in the comic and tv world industries.

Interestingly enough it seems that both factions are barely aware of the other ... for example even though I used to be an avid comic book collector, I hadn't even REALIZED that people were even interested in original art trading cards for comic characters and that they were being sold and traded under PSC (personal sketch cards) or sketch cards!

Had I known, I'd have been drawing a LOT more comic cards over the last four years LOL - but I had no clue ya'll were out there!

Posts: 6 | Location: California | Registered: August 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've been selling aceo i my shop for a while mainly cause i like art and fantasy art card is thin on the ground these days. i only go for originals. although some artists do collector printed editions you can only get if you buy stuff from their shop. these cards can then be sold on.

aceos are incredibly cheap given the work that goes into them. Drawing to that size is a skill to do well.

because of the copyright issues i don't sell the unlicensed image aceo from tv or film eg. twilight, lotr etc

some aceo are just amazing and for £15 you can get a work of art that would cost £100 if it was in a card set.

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post