Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Dark Shadows card set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dark Shadows card set
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody know anything about the Dark Shadows card set put out by CELEBRITY INC.

# of cards ?
Year produced ?
Was it a limited run ?

I looked on Jeff Allender's page, but he doesn't have it listed

Posts: 64 | Location: Norton Ohio 44203 | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Where did you see them? If Allender's doesn't list them and they weren't made since his last update, odds are good that you are looking at something unlicensed. Celebrity Inc. is one of those names that I don't remember, but its vague enough to forget. Big Grin If you have no more info on the cards, look for info on the seller or the source where you heard about them. You may get a gut feeling from that.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a foreign set? Every once in a while, I run across a European set I hadn't seen before.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Where did you see them? If Allender's doesn't list them and they weren't made since his last update, odds are good that you are looking at something unlicensed. Celebrity Inc. is one of those names that I don't remember, but its vague enough to forget. Big Grin If you have no more info on the cards, look for info on the seller or the source where you heard about them. You may get a gut feeling from that.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I guess we can show this as the auction is over

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16509...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ebay listing are the Dark Shadows cards I was wondering about.
Thank you.
Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 64 | Location: Norton Ohio 44203 | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So now that the auction page is up, there are a number of clues you can try to follow if you are so inclined, although the first thing would have been to ask the seller during the bidding.

The description says "Brand: Unbranded" and "Color: Pink". Allender lists 2 Dark Shadows series sets from 1968. The first is Pink and the second is Green, both by Philadelphia Gum. One had pink borders and the other green borders.

Unless my PC color is way off, these borders look orange. The prominent mention is Dan Curtis Productions. Dan Curtis was the creator of Dark Shadows. He died in 2006 and the rights remain with his Estate. The last photos on the auction also shows card backs and one says "Dark Shadows Retro Card Set" and another back has an address to order a binder. There is a Dark Shadows fandom out there that also might have some clues, if you wanted to wade through those sites.

While you are trying to find a definite answer, consider that these cards could be a licensed reprint of the Pink series approved by Curtis or his Estate as one possibility.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I believe the backs of the cards say that they were made by a company in Pennsylvania.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
They are not a reprint of the pink series, the images are quite different. The binder uses a Philly wrapper from Barnabas. Absolutely looks like a fan produced set, not licensed.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting. . .

Seems like this might be the designer's linkedin page -- you can try to contact him here:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-graziano-b973a7209/

It is also interesting that the company is listed as both 'Celebrity Inc' and 'Celebrity Ink'

This site seems to indicate the set was release in 2001:

https://www.collectors.com/ent...-8394385367088913142

This site indicates 1993:
https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage...ll-284393039598.html

1993 seems like a more likely date to me personally.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Check this E Bay# out 313573076200
It is a set of Dark Shadows Promo cards there is also a Oversize one I have seen but it is no

t in this set
Backs have info on how to purchase the cards the set and the Autograph cards
1993 Dan Curtis Productions Imagine Ink PHC PA
Three of the card are # 1 2 3 the fourth card is blank were the purchase info is also no #
I dont know wether this set was released or that the information on the backs of the cards was the only way to purchase them if so the set could be quiet rare

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That matches up to the promo set for the regular set by Imagine listed in the Promo Card Encyclopedia.

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Check this E Bay# out 313573076200
It is a set of Dark Shadows Promo cards there is also a Oversize one I have seen but it is no

t in this set
Backs have info on how to purchase the cards the set and the Autograph cards
1993 Dan Curtis Productions Imagine Ink PHC PA
Three of the card are # 1 2 3 the fourth card is blank were the purchase info is also no #
I dont know wether this set was released or that the information on the backs of the cards was the only way to purchase them if so the set could be quiet rare

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Never thought of looking in the PCE lol

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Someone on eBay is now posting these same orange border cards, only they are in uncut sheet form, and is calling them Imagine. There is a 1993 Dark Shadows Imagine set listed by Allender, but other auctions show those cards with another sort of border.

The only thing I really don't like is that none of Allender's Dark Shadows checklists match up with this set. But people were making all sorts of cards in 1993 and it would have been the 25th anniversary of the 1968 sets. Dan Curtis owned the rights and had a production company. Who knows what arrangements were made with who? It's not a fan produced product since its too complicated with names and addresses. It may be unlicensed, or it may have had some connection to Dan Curtis Productions. I wouldn't venture to say either way, but I would doubt its any rare find at this stage.

Or they may have been printed yesterday. Big Grin But since the popular demand for this title is deader than Barnabas, I doubt anyone is putting this kind of effort into counterfeiting cards for it. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Speaking about Dark Shadows, I saw this on the internet:

On April 10, 2012, MPI released a "Limited Edition Complete Series" box set in the shape of a coffin. The 131 DVDs are housed in 22 individual plastic cases, with the spines looking upward to show the entire body of Barnabas lying asleep in his coffin. Only 2,500 numbered copies of these were made, with each set including a limited edition card signed by original series star Jonathan Frid.

Has anyone seen this CARD ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Is anybody else having trouble with eBay search words today? I'm putting in normal name searches and getting all sorts of unrelated results. Confused

Anyway 2,500 signed cards is a lot of supply. Not to mention all the other stuff Frid autographed. Haven't been able to do a good search because of this weird problem, but I wonder how many people wanted 131 DVDs of Dark Shadows? Did it sellout or are a bunch of sets still unopened with this card inside?

Dark Shadows was really a soap opera on daytime TV. I caught a couple of episodes in reruns and couldn't believe the drivel. Frid's attraction as a matinee idol was non-existent as far as I could see, but the fans were crazy for him when it started. It only lasted a little under five years, but it was daily, so there are 1225 original episodes apparently. And it has persisted 50 years later, failed movie and all. Amazing!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the DVDs, beware of the 2nd printing without the card. I see those on ebay now. Some of the auctions specifically say these are not the 1st print and do not come with the card. And even those DVDs have asking prices of $ 250 and up.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dark Shadows uncut sheet listed on Ebay is mine. I had it listed as the IMAGINE set because I didn't know any other set existed.
Somebody wrote me and told me it wasn't the IMAGINE set.

For everyone who helped my figure out the correct answer, I thank you very much.