Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cut cards or card-like items
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cut cards or card-like items
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I have a dilemma and would like to hear what other collectors think. I bought what looked like a card and was advertised as a card on Ebay. I didn't notice until receiving it that it was cut a little off-angle and missing the bottom border but I was willing to accept it as good enough as cards are often slightly mis-cut and the card seemed oddball enough since I hadn't seen it before.

It still looked a little funny so I checked for the source and discovered that the item was actually cut from the cardboard backing of the packaging of a toy. Nowhere on the card nor the packaging is it advertised that a card is included so the item is just part of the packaging that shows an image with some text on the back that pretty well lines up to look like a card front and back. Had the item been correctly-cut, it appears it would have been at least close enough to standard card size that I wouldn't have had a second thought.

My question is do I deserve a refund which I am requesting? Someone might say I should have checked on it before I ordered and I should eat the cost, chalking it up as a learning experience. On the other hand the auction states quite clearly that all the items advertised as trading cards are 100% authentic. The item in question can be shown not to be a card as it is just part of the packaging and not advertised as one elsewhere on the packaging (no language like "Bonus Card Included" or "Plus a Free Collector Card"). Many collectors look for cards that are meant to be cut out of the packaging and this is always noted with the cards either framed by dotted lines or perforations.

The item in question can be seen by doing a search for "WWF Bend-Ems" toys - the "Sunny" figure - with artwork showing on the back of the packaging and the "card" back showing on the front of the packaging behind the toy figure.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

It is clearly not a trading card nor is it a promotional card. It is part of the packaging, the whole backing part of the packaging can be classed as a card. You are right in that it is not part of the backing intended for being a cut out. I would return it as not being a card.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, if it was advertised as a card you should get a refund. You got a cut out piece of a box.

It is possible that the seller did not realize it wasn't an actual card, unlikely but possible. I wouldn't get too mad at him/her, but the item was not as described.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John.

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Jess

It is clearly not a trading card nor is it a promotional card. It is part of the packaging, the whole backing part of the packaging can be classed as a card. You are right in that it is not part of the backing intended for being a cut out. I would return it as not being a card.

regards

John

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I sent the seller a message saying that I realize that dealers often acquire cards as lots so if a particular card is cut to about the same size, they all blend in - just to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I've noticed that several Ebay sellers provide little to no info about a particular card - nothing or almost nothing in the description. I used to sell there and tried to include as much info as possible to best present the item whether a card, a toy, or an old sweater (didn't sell sweaters).

Thanks, Raven.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Yes, if it was advertised as a card you should get a refund. You got a cut out piece of a box.

It is possible that the seller did not realize it wasn't an actual card, unlikely but possible. I wouldn't get too mad at him/her, but the item was not as described.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Everything worked out. He's sending me a refund.

Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
I've sold a few sports cards, that were cut from a cereal box, but stated as such in my description of the item! I hate sellers who deceive buyers doing this, but it's part of the buy/sell culture, nothing new!

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Happy it was resolved for you. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post