Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dollar prices in UK
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted
Saw a sketch card of an artist I wanted. It was a huge amount in dollars and I went to see what it would be in £'s until I noticed it was a UK seller. When I messaged him, he could only give me a rough price because he doesn't deal in the currency of his own country. I've also seen this artifical price hike with Australians and Canadians. Maybe Ebay should make sellers price their goods with the currency of the country they registered in.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Saw a sketch card of an artist I wanted. It was a huge amount in dollars and I went to see what it would be in £'s until I noticed it was a UK seller. When I messaged him, he could only give me a rough price because he doesn't deal in the currency of his own country. I've also seen this artifical price hike with Australians and Canadians. Maybe Ebay should make sellers price their goods with the currency of the country they registered in.
He could be selling through eBay.com rather than ebay.co.uk. I have accounts on both myself and anything I list on eBay.com is always in US Dollars. He cannot list in Dollars through ebay.co.uk. If most of his customers are in the States then it makes sense for him to operate that way as, sadly, a lot of Americans do not like to convert from UK Pounds to US Dollars. Of course, that is no excuse for him being unable to give you a UK price if you contacted him direct...but he can't give you a UK Pounds price if you want to go through eBay. I hope that makes sense.

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Why do you consider this to be a price hike? Sure the price goes up when the GBP weakens, but it also goes down when the opposite occurs.

When I was in Australia I always sold in USD because buyers understand it but also because I needed USD for paypal to actually buy cards. If I sold in AUD, I would have two currency conversions to go through (with a cost for each).

I typically sell now in GBP because my buyers are about half UK (or EU) and half US, so I have to convert currency for half my money anyway and I am currently selling more than buying (so GBP is more useful since I am withdrawing rather than buying more cards).

BTW I think you can have eBay set up to show all prices in your own currency anyway. When I am browsing cards, I see everything in GBP.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post