Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Hammer Horror Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammer Horror Question
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
On the 2000 Entombed set by CMA, are the pop up card and the pop up promo one and the same, or are they different cards ?

How were these distributed ? At shows ?

I don't have one, but I see the asking prices on them close to $ 200 !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two pop-up cards are the same. They were distributed at shows and conventions.
Sorry, I don't know how many exist.

Posts: 64 | Location: Norton Ohio 44203 | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Yeah, the asking prices surprised me too. I know Hammer Horror has a big following but is it really that much in-demand?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
On the 2000 Entombed set by CMA, are the pop up card and the pop up promo one and the same, or are they different cards ?

How were these distributed ? At shows ?

I don't have one, but I see the asking prices on them close to $ 200 !

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
The Emtombed "Tomb Riser" card was produced for one UK show which I beleive was Memorabilia at the NEC.

I doub't more than 50 were made and the price now reflects the amount available for sale.

I bought a lot of the remaining Hammer Stock from River Wye before they closed, and have sold 5 of the 6 Tomb Raiser I have for £100+ over the last few years.

Dave.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Horseshoe:

The Emtombed "Tomb Riser" card was produced for one UK show which I beleive was Memorabilia at the NEC.

Dave.

Another one of those invisible cards that can't be seen even though you are there at the show. Roll Eyes

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that I don't have the pop up, but I will have to pull my binder and check

Looking at the 3 on ebay now, the card seems to advertise the set and tell you what it consists of, so I guess you could call it a promo

The reason I ask if there are 2 diff versions, as I thought that the one of the ones on ebay looked different from the others, a diff shape. Maybe one was unfolded or popped out ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
River Wye also did a pop-up promo for Laurel and Hardy. Was that about as rare and also given out at that show? At the time the Laurel and Hardy one was the only pop-up I knew about - didn't know to ask about it.

quote:

I doub't more than 50 were made and the price now reflects the amount available for sale.

I bought a lot of the remaining Hammer Stock from River Wye before they closed, and have sold 5 of the 6 Tomb Raiser I have for £100+ over the last few years.

Dave.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I finally discovered that I do, in fact, have this pop-up card

It was speculated above that maybe around 50 were made

Were these inserted in the packs of the cards themselves, as a chase card ? If so, how tough were they to pull ? Anyone know ?

I mean, besides being given out at the UK show...

Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
These were only sold at one show, and any left over were sold on their website.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I was told it was given out at a show. If it was sold, then it's not a promo - more of an oddball chase card.

Thanks,

Jess

quote:
These were only sold at one show, and any left over were sold on their website.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
That's interesting. I was told it was given out at a show. If it was sold, then it's not a promo - more of an oddball chase card.

Thanks,

Jess

Is that part of the definition of being a promo, not being a sold card? I think that changes depending on who you ask.

I don't pay that much attention to promo cards in general, but it seems to me that several I have seen were never actually given away anywhere for free. For certain, many promos that were given away came with attached requirements to purchase other things, so not exactly free either.

Just like what happened with sports cards long ago when makers started putting "P" on everything, even when there was no actual product, the whole idea of non-sport promo cards has just been turned into another way to convince collectors that they are getting something of greater value.

It should all be free and worth nothing if its a true promo card. Big Grin

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Yep, well, good luck with that. Big Grin Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If it was only sold at the show, why do some websites say that there was a "promo" pop up and others say that it was a chase insert ?

Isn't there just 1 card, or are there 2 different ?

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I guess some consider it to be promo as the back of the card actually advertises the company and the product

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see from looking at a checklist for this set, that there was Jacqueline Pearce auto limited to 200, which was not in the card set itself but was instead a UK convention exclusive

Would you consider this to be a promo, as well ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven,

The problem is a small number of individuals caught on to the fact that many promos were selling so they started calling some of their cards promos even if they weren't. It was a way of unloading cards that weren't selling to newbies who'd just started asking about them. Yeah, some chase cards are oddly numbered, and over the years, even an experienced collector might not recall what was a promo and what was a chase card in one of the more obscure 90's sets.

In the 2000's some manufacturers were offering "preview sets," which sounds a lot like "promo" but those sets were for sale at the source. I think it was Cornerstone that invented the preview set as a product for sale with the 10-card Akira release back in 1994. It was a way of making money and gauging interest at the same time but promo collectors were wary by the mid-2000's and didn't fall for it unless they happened to like the set.

I think anyone who collects promos either primarily or secondarily understands a promo to be a card that started out as free - something the manufacturer, distributor, or even the dealer gave away. Yes, some dealers have sold the promos they got for free but many still gave them away even if only to regular customers. Some dealers threw in promos as part of a deal and at least one prints his own promos to give away.

Yes, some promos have come with a catch. You had to buy a box of cereal or a comic book or a toy to get the card and those might technically be "product premiums" but many collectors consider those promos too. Even if you were buying the cereal to get the card, the card was the free thing. The cereal wasn't priced higher when there was a card in it than when the promotion was over. Across the promotion, you could even find the cereal on sale in some places.

I recall when the Star Wars Trilogy Widevision promo cards were being given out. There were P1-P8 plus some that were packaged with toys (H1-H4, G1-G5). Some of the toys were about $10 so many card collectors bought those even if they just wanted the card but at least one of the toys was more expensive - more like $35 - and that was the only way to get one of the cards. I think it was the G5 card. Today, that one is harder to find because fewer promo collectors were willing to spring for the toy at the time.

Learning the difference between cards that were once free and ones that were originally for sale is part of the game in promo collecting. Sometimes, I buy a lot that has cards I know are promos, cards I know aren't promos, and maybe one or two I need to research.

I'm not sure where the idea that cards that started out as free should always be free (or was that a joke?). Once one person has something he got for free and another wants it too, but wasn't in the right place at the right time, that item attains a value to be determined by seller and buyer. Is the person who got it for free obligated to give it away when someone else is willing to pay for it? There are all kinds of things from previous decades that weren't intended to be sold (theater/concert movie posters and other advertisements in the form of signs, coin banks, calendars, etc.) but they have attained dollar values far in excess of what they originally cost to make. Should all those items still be free too? There are also all kinds of things that are old but worth nothing or worth just their recyclable value (like the pieces of butcher paper with my early dinosaur drawings). Collectors are the ones who determine value by buying or not buying.

I should add that there are promo cards that are hard to give away because everyone who collects promos already has them.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Thanks,

Jess

Is that part of the definition of being a promo, not being a sold card? I think that changes depending on who you ask.

I don't pay that much attention to promo cards in general, but it seems to me that several I have seen were never actually given away anywhere for free. For certain, many promos that were given away came with attached requirements to purchase other things, so not exactly free either.

Just like what happened with sports cards long ago when makers started putting "P" on everything, even when there was no actual product, the whole idea of non-sport promo cards has just been turned into another way to convince collectors that they are getting something of greater value.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think anyone who collects promos either primarily or secondarily understands a promo to be a card that started out as free - something the manufacturer, distributor, or even the dealer gave away. Yes, some dealers have sold the promos they got for free but many still gave them away even if only to regular customers. Some dealers threw in promos as part of a deal and at least one prints his own promos to give away.

Yes, some promos have come with a catch.

Learning the difference between cards that were once free and ones that were originally for sale is part of the game in promo collecting.

I'm not sure where the idea that cards that started out as free should always be free (or was that a joke?). Once one person has something he got for free and another wants it too, but wasn't in the right place at the right time, that item attains a value to be determined by seller and buyer. Is the person who got it for free obligated to give it away when someone else is willing to pay for it?

Collectors are the ones who determine value by buying or not buying.

I should add that there are promo cards that are hard to give away because everyone who collects promos already has them.

Jess

Hey Jess,

Apologies for cutting down your post, just trying to highlight your main points, and I am in agreement with all of them, even though I have kind of gone in a different direction. Yes, it was a joke. Having experienced the promo explosion first hand when I was still doing sports cards, I have seen the mania and the market they created. Its been a slower climb, but non-sport promos are trying hard to catch up.

The main reasons I avoid promos, except for ones that fall in my lap, is two fold. I don't trust them, or rather I don't trust the makers and distributors. And I am irritated by their purpose, as opposed to what they have become. They are supposed to be free cards, designed to only advertise the coming product. Who gets them for free? Where they are distributed? How many are made? How they are controlled? Promo collectors may or may not have any of that information. You have to be in the right place to get the best seat and many of the best seats are reserved for favorite sons, although ideally that shouldn't happen.

It happens because their is a market for promo cards, they are worth money and, as you said, "collectors are the ones who determine value by buying or not buying". I don't buy promos. I think they should have handling value. I think a seller should be compensated for his/her work in the transaction. However, if the card itself was free to someone, it does bother me to see some of the prices some of them are trading for. Its like a rigged game, which I also try to stay away from. Wink

I give promo collectors credit, you do have to know your stuff to find the gems and avoid the junk. Its like the Wild West with people trying to convince you that the promos and the previews and the limited exclusive chase sets are even more valuable than the real product, when and if, it ever comes out. Big Grin

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't collect promos as much as some of the other advanced collectors on this board, but I can think of some extreme examples of cards that were labeled as "promos"

Someone told me that about 15 years ago, the UK company Futera did a RED DWARF set with a limited version of the binder, I think only 150 were made. Each binder came with 1 of 7 diff variants of an auto card with PROMO written on them. So, you would have to buy 7 diff binders to get all 7 promo autos, and I don't think you could tell which "promo" you were getting until you unwrapped the binder. And to top it all off, I think 1 of the 7 autos was limited to 10 or less. These binders can now be found on ebay for $ 200-300 EACH !

And what all about all of the 5Finity cards on Lady Death, Cherry, and their other pin up sets, produced in recent years, most limited to 10 or 20, which also say PROMO on them. It's getting crazy !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And dont forget that the 80s 90s promos had written on the back Promo card Not For Sale or Not to be Sold

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
And what all about all of the 5Finity cards on Lady Death, Cherry, and their other pin up sets, produced in recent years, most limited to 10 or 20, which also say PROMO on them. It's getting crazy !

This is off topic, but as you bring up Lady Death, at some point in the 90's I wound up picking up several signed Lady Death and Evil Ernie cards. They are autographed by Brian Pulido, Stephen Hughes and Mark Morales. Sometimes 2 or 3 of them on the card. There are about 3 different cards and all say promo or preview.

I also have several signed by Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti from Ninjak and Santa on promo cards.

There was one comic card dealer at the time who always had these and I bought them not knowing much, but I like autographs and they were priced right.

Anybody have any ideas how many of these there are? Not just the promos, but the signed versions. I have seen some of them on that auction site and I get the feeling that these were handed out a lot back then and are not terribly in demand. Thanks.