Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Hammer Horror Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammer Horror Question
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Piko,

I think that is just a declaration by the company that the card is not being sold by the company as any costs involved in creating, printing, and distributing the cards are at least partly tax deductible as an advertising expense. Whether the card is sold and resold later is out of the hands and therefore outside the responsibility of the company - fair game in a world of supply and demand.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
And dont forget that the 80s 90s promos had written on the back Promo card Not For Sale or Not to be Sold

Posts: 4379 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

This post and the thread go back a couple of years. I just ran into it while going back a few pages to see what's there. If you can show the cards or provide extra description, one of us might be able to add some info. There are a number of different Evil Ernie promos out there. Some of the signed ones are limited; some maybe just common ones that the creators also signed at shows.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
And what all about all of the 5Finity cards on Lady Death, Cherry, and their other pin up sets, produced in recent years, most limited to 10 or 20, which also say PROMO on them. It's getting crazy !

This is off topic, but as you bring up Lady Death, at some point in the 90's I wound up picking up several signed Lady Death and Evil Ernie cards. They are autographed by Brian Pulido, Stephen Hughes and Mark Morales. Sometimes 2 or 3 of them on the card. There are about 3 different cards and all say promo or preview.

I also have several signed by Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti from Ninjak and Santa on promo cards.

There was one comic card dealer at the time who always had these and I bought them not knowing much, but I like autographs and they were priced right.

Anybody have any ideas how many of these there are? Not just the promos, but the signed versions. I have seen some of them on that auction site and I get the feeling that these were handed out a lot back then and are not terribly in demand. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4379 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Here's one:

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yep, that is exactly one of the cards I have cardaddict, but I don't have your attached certificate. I always knew mine was authentic though because of the guy I got them from. He was one of the few local dealers that was fixed on comic related cards. At the time, early to mid 90s, these comic artists would hit lots of places to promote their card products and they would sign anything.

Marvel artists would sign all over too. I was just reading a thread on another forum about how Jim Lee signed various Marvel character cards, but only 5 were official that could be verified. I also have a couple of his, some numbered, some not. And Tucci used to sign and leave dozens of Shi cards at one local hobby store because the owner knew him. I was still buying sport cards at the time, but I picked up some of these signed cards when offered, just because I always preferred autographs.

Now I wish I had bought more non-sport signatures, especially the certified cards, but most were from personal appearances and don't seem rare even now. More to the point, there doesn't seem to be that much demand since they are pretty cheap when you do see them.

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Hey Raven,

This post and the thread got back a couple of years. I just ran into it while going back a few pages to see what's there. If you can show the cards or provide extra description, one of us might be able to add some info. There are a number of different Evil Ernie promos out there. Some of the signed ones are limited; some maybe just common ones that the creators also signed at shows.

Jess

Hey Jess,

Forgot this thread, but it wasn't about my question anyway. Never bothered doing the things I need to save pictures. If you look on eBay for Brian Pulido, Stephen Hughes, Mark Morales, Billy Tucci, Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti, you will probably see the same autographed cards I have and more. Some were certified from sets or promos, but I think many were just personal signings at many hole-in-the-wall stores and shows. There were so many places for these guys to go in the 90's. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post