Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Article About Star Trek Topps Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article About Star Trek Topps Cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted
Here is a link to a cool article about a book someone wrote about the cards Topps did for Classic Star Trek

http://io9.com/the-trading-car...-generati-1168909041

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I purchased one of the SDCC signed copies, not taken the cards out yet.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It is one beautiful book. I hope they make a lot more of these in this format. They've done two for original Wacky Packs, one for GPK, one for Mars Attacks, and now this Star Trek one to be published later this year and a Bazooka Joe one published earlier this year.

They are made by Abrams Comicraft, one of my favorite publishers for years now, and they should make one for each of the 5 original Star Wars series for sure. 20 new Star Wars cards in the vintage five colors would be fantastic.

I'd like to see them also do books for the card sets from Happy Days, Good Times, King Kong, and Welcome Back Kotter since I loved all of those card sets, but I'm not sure there'd be enough interests in those. Hopefully, this Star Trek one will sell well and we'll get at least a few more.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Here's the cards themselves that were made for the book:

I'm still a little confused about how Topps can make ST cards when RA has (and I thought?? paid extra) for an exclusive right to make Trek cards, but what do I know, I'm just a blonde Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's probably covered under the "fair use" law since Topps made that set originally.

Thanks for the picture of the cards. I also have the autographed book, so I was waiting to get a regular one before opening the cards, and I'd hadn't seen them yet. Those are the first cards showing Sulu ever made for this set. Apparently he didn't appear in the original 1976 series.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it always was a bit weird that he wasn't in the set. I don't presume anything nefarious in his not being there, just....weird....

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I purchased the book at this years New York City comic con I think it's great. I would like to share a few of my signed Star Trek 1976 Topps cards and Stickers. Enjoy

Posts: 31 | Location: N.Y | Registered: May 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All awesome! Congratulations!