Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    I wanna do one of those rediculous records list like the sports fans/collectors do.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I wanna do one of those rediculous records list like the sports fans/collectors do.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This doesn't beat Vinnie Jones, but Fred Williamson (NFL, acted on an episode of ST:TOS) has a 2012 Leaf Pop Century (and many signed FB cards). Kurt Russell played minor league baseball and signed for 2008 Donruss Americana II.

Tony Danza boxed professionally and signed a 2005 Leaf Fans of the Game card.

Oscar best director --
Peter Jackson, 2002 Topps Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
James Cameron, 2002 Topps Dark Angel

Posts: 2199 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The Ron Howard card from 2000's "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" set predates those two.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Comic Images 1996 "THE MASTERS OF JAPANIMATION" KOICHI OHATA Autograph card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233789660209

He signed 2 years earlier in 1994 Comic Images The World of U.S. Manga Corps.

Posts: 2199 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oscar best actor
Forest Whitaker (2006) -- 2000 Upper Deck Battlefield Earth
Ben Kingsley (1982) -- 2001 Cards Inc. Thunderbirds Are Go
Charlton Heston (1959) -- 2001 Topps Planet of the Apes
Cliff Robertson (1968) -- 2002 Rittenhouse The Outer Limits Premiere Edition
Jamie Foxx (2004) -- 2004-05 SP Basketball Signature Edition - Celebrity Signings
Gary Oldman (2017) -- 2005 ArtBox HP and the Goblet of Fire
Kevin Spacey (1999) -- 2006 Topps Superman Returns
F. Murray Abraham (1984) -- 2007 Rittenhouse The Complete Star Trek Movies
Ernest Borgnine (1955) -- 2007 Upper Deck Spectrum, 2007 Donruss Americana
Jeff Bridges (2009) -- 2008 Rittenhouse Iron Man

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oscar Best Actress
Cate Blanchett (2013) -- 2001 Topps Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, 2002 Topps Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Maggie Smith (1969) -- 2006 ArtBox Harry Potter Memorable Moments

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't a certified card from packs nor a factory set, but as an aside to this discussion, author/screenwriter, Frederica Sagor Maas, signed at least a few of her Booksmith cards (#303) at the age of 99 at a Booksmith signing event. She was born in 1900 - passed away in 2012.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Here are some possible answers. Mostly, I only know the year a set was issued, so if two potential "firsts" are in the same year, you'd have to dig deeper to find out when the set was issued in the calendar year. Maybe someone can look at sells sheets for release dates?

Earliest born to sign:
Buddy Ebsen was 4/2/1908. A close second is Milton Berle, 1992 Proline Portraits, b. 7/12/1908

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Just got back from New Orleans so have not been following this.

Tons of great suggestions and discussion points.

I did forget that Whoopi Goldberg was also an EGOT winner. Given that it will never be a long list I will change the category to just winners.

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
So we agree KOICHI OHATA is first Japan Animator and foreign language?

Updated the list, re-defined some things and added based on suggestions.

This is gonna be a beast but will certainly put some more depth of perspective on our collections. Smokin'

Static
First to sign sealed set from manufacture. George Romero, Russ Streiner and John Russo 1988 Night of the Living Dead 20th Ann. Image Inc
First to sign inserted in packs
First Woman to sign sealed set from manufacture. Michelle Bauer, Bobbie Bresee, Susanne Severeid Scream Queens I 1990 Image
First Woman to sign inserted in packs
First African American
Asian Joan Chen 91 Twin Peaks Star Pics
First Academy Award Winner Chuck Jones (1000) 1990 Comic Ball Upper Deck
First Best Picture Ron Howard (2002) Beautiful Mind -- 2000 How the Grinch Stole Christmas (999)
Director Ron Howard (2002) Beautiful Mind -- 2000 How the Grinch Stole Christmas (999)
Actor Forest Whitaker (2006) Last King of Scotland -- 2000 Upper Deck Battlefield Earth
Actress Cate Blanchett (2013) Blue Jasmine -- 2001 Topps Lord of the Rings
Supporting Actor/Actress
First Academy Award Minor "Best Short" Chuck Jones (1000) 1990 Comic Ball Upper Deck
First Academy Award Technical and Music
First Grammy Award Winner Angelo Badalamenti, 1991 Twin Peaks
First Tony Award Winner
First Emmy Award Winner Piper Laurie, 1991 Twin Peaks
First Hollywood Walk of Fame George Romero NoTLD 1988
First Professional Athlete crossover to sign NS Vinnie Jones X-Men 3 2006
First Olympic Athlete crossover to sign NS
Note: Artist often tend to float from one medium outlet to another, category is looking for a mostly famous for result.
Artist Traditional
Artist US Animation Chuck Jones 1990 Comic Ball Upper Deck
Artist Japan Animation
Artist Comic Book Wrightson / Frazetta???
First Classical Musician
First Rap Artist -Coolio from Daredevil?
First Pop/Rock Artist
First Country Artist - Might have to figure out which 92 country set released first.
First Singer
First State or Federal Politician Al Franken, 1992 SNL
First Astronaut James Lovell (1000) Space Shots Series 3 1992
First Military Norman Schwarzkopf Defenders of Freedom Historical Images 1991
First signer in a language other than English. Joan Chen 1991 Twin Peaks
First signer to include a drawing or doodle.
First signer to add an unsolicited inscription

Dynamic
Oldest to sign Gloria Stuart approx 99 (possibly even 100) years old Panini Americana 2011
Oldest to sign a costume card Gloria Stuart 2008 Celebrity Cuts Donruss
Earliest born to sign Buddy Ebsen 1908 Twilight Zone 2000 Rittenhouse.
Youngest to sign Skyler Wexler 9 Orphan Black 2016
Youngest to sign a costume card Jadon Wells 9 or 10 2016 Dexter Seasons 7 & 8
Most Academy Awards 5 John Williams Star Wars 30th Ann 2007
Most Actor Academy Awards 2 Cate Blanchett Lord of the Rings FoTR Topps 2001 and Mahershala Ali 4400 Inkworks 2007 / Alphas Cryptozoic 2013
Most Grammy Awards John Williams 24
Most Grammy Awards Pop Music Jay Z 21
Most Tony Awards
Most Prime Time Emmy Awards for a performer 8 Cloris Leachman and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Most Hollywood Walk of Fame Categories Mickey Rooney with 4 (Film, TV, Radio and Live Performance)
EGOT Winners Jennifer Hudson American Idol Fleer 2004 Whoopi Goldberg Star Trek TNG
Oldest Hollywood Walk of Fame
Most sets autographed for
Most cards autographed (must be cards designed for signing and not commons) This one is gonna be fun trying to chase down.
Most Non Sport Autograph/Relic or Costume combination cards.
Most Major Franchise entries (so far I have MARVEL, DC, BOND, STAR WARS, TREK, ALIEN/PREDATOR, MIDDLE EARTH, CLASSIC DISNEY, TRANSFORMERS, ROCKY, HPOTTER)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
So we agree KOICHI OHATA is first Japan Animator and foreign language?

Asian Joan Chen 91 Twin Peaks Star Pics

Not really. Two dates, 1994 and 1996, have been put forward for OHATA, which may make him the first Japanese animator.

But as to signer in a foreign language, if Logan is correct that Joan Chen signed half her 1991 Twin Peaks cards in her native language, then that makes her the first non-English signer, as well as the first Asian. No?

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever seen a Joan Chen Twin Peaks signed like that?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Has anyone ever seen a Joan Chen Twin Peaks signed like that?

Yes I've seen at least 3 of them and actually owned one. Smile

Here are two variations I found on terapeak. The first one she only signed her first name (in English). I used to own a full signature example so I know they exist also. The second image is her Chinese signature variation.

And here is a signed photo of her I found online:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
First signer to include a drawing or doodle.

Possibly Jill Larsen -- All My Children Star Pics 1991 -- drew a flower on her cards.

Also suggest adding first US President.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have we established that the 1988 Night of the Living Dead Set came out before or after the 1988 Tom Savini Grande Illusions set, which contained a signed Tom Savini card?

I was looking at online newspaper archives trying to resolve when other various sets came out.

Upper Deck Comic Ball came out in June 1990. The Chuck Jones card was the first pack-inserted autographed nonsports card (and first artist, and Academy Award winner).

Twin Peaks came out in Apr/May 1991. It was sold only as a boxed set, so no pack-inserted cards. It included first women signers (multiple), 1st Grammy (as previously mentioned)

In Aug 1991, Pro Line released a set of football cards called "Pro Line Portraits" that included a subset of autographed cards of players' wives. I consider this to be a nonsports release -- the people pictured are not athletes. One of the wives is Phylicia Rashad, who starred as Bill Cosby's wife on The Cosby Show for years. She is famous in her own right as an actress, beyond being Ahmad Rashad's wife. If you agree that it is a nonsport release, these cards would be the first cards signed by women and the first cards signed by black people. Rashad won a Tony in 2005, so first Tony Award winner as well.

"All My Children" came out in Jan 1992. It was released both in packs and in boxed sets. If you don't accept Pro Line Wives as nonsport, then this set has the first pack-inserted women signers (multiple), first black signer (William Christian) first Emmy (Daytime) (multiple - David Canary, Kelly Ripa, Cady McClain, etc.). Mary Fickett, a signer, won a Primetime Emmy in 1973 for her Daytime work. This category was retired when the Daytime Emmys started, and her award should probably be viewed as a Daytime Emmy.

Star Pics Playboy came out as a boxed set in Feb 1992. This set had signed cards, but I haven't seen a definitive list of those who signed. Given the wide lineup of Playboy Interview subjects in the set, if any of them signed they could show up on this list. Hefner did sign, as did a number of the models. It did include what are probably the first twins who signed, Mirjam and Karin van Breeschooten (Miss Sept. 1989).

Star Pics SNL came out in Jun 1992. It was released in packs. A number of the signers for it won Primetime Emmys for writing, so they would be the first pack-inserted Primetime Emmy winners.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Logan, really nice to see those. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Thanks Logan, really nice to see those. Thumb Up

I remember reading back in the day when I was obsessed with these Star Pics autographs that she is the toughest autograph to find (outside of the controversial David Lynch autograph). Austin Lynch (David's son) is tough also. But supposedly the story with Joan is that at the signing party she quit signing part way through because she didn't like the image used on her card. Don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I read.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Some noted Tony Award firsts

First African-American to win Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical: Diahann Carroll for No Strings in 1962. Pop Century
First African-American to win Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play: James Earl Jones for The Great White Hope in 1969. Star Wars Conan
First Lebanese-American to win Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical: Tony Shalhoub for The Band's Visit in 2018. MIBII
First African-American to win Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play: Phylicia Rashad for A Raisin in the Sun in 2004.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Aug 1991, Pro Line released a set of football cards called "Pro Line Portraits" that included a subset of autographed cards of players' wives. I consider this to be a nonsports release -- the people pictured are not athletes. One of the wives is Phylicia Rashad, who starred as Bill Cosby's wife on The Cosby Show for years. She is famous in her own right as an actress, beyond being Ahmad Rashad's wife. If you agree that it is a nonsport release, these cards would be the first cards signed by women and the first cards signed by black people. Rashad won a Tony in 2005, so first Tony Award winner as well.

'
I agree it is non-sports just like all of the other subsets (Sandlot, Major League, Bull Durham, Fans of the Game, Hot chicks at basketball games) found in sports products.

quote:
Star Pics Playboy came out as a boxed set in Feb 1992. This set had signed cards, but I haven't seen a definitive list of those who signed. Given the wide lineup of Playboy Interview subjects in the set, if any of them signed they could show up on this list. Hefner did sign, as did a number of the models. It did include what are probably the first twins who signed, Mirjam and Karin van Breeschooten (Miss Sept. 1989).

First magazine publisher as well.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some noted Tony Award firsts

First African-American to win Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical: Diahann Carroll for No Strings in 1962. Pop Century
First African-American to win Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play: James Earl Jones for The Great White Hope in 1969. Star Wars Conan
First Lebanese-American to win Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical: Tony Shalhoub for The Band's Visit in 2018. MIBII
First African-American to win Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play: Phylicia Rashad for A Raisin in the Sun in 2004.

When you say "First Tony Award Winner", do you mean:

First issued card featuring a person who has or will win a Tony -- Phylicia Rashad, in this case, I believe.

or First Person to win a Tony who ends up on a card -- Diahann Carroll.

(and others of your categories can be viewed one of two ways -- earliest signed card associated with some claim to fame, or earliest person to do something, who later ends up on a signed card.)

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree it is non-sports just like all of the other subsets (. . . Hot chicks at basketball games) found in sports products.

I am not familiar with this subset. Please elaborate.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I agree it is non-sports just like all of the other subsets (. . . Hot chicks at basketball games) found in sports products.

I am not familiar with this subset. Please elaborate.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Generic term for all those basketball sets that would toss in an autograph card of Christie Brinkley, Carmen Electra, Jenny McCarthy, Shannon Elizabeth, etc.

I think this is the only one I have.