Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Some thoughts on trading
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some thoughts on trading
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
I have just concluded a successful trade with another member of this forum and although the niceties of trading on this site are fairly well known to most of us, I thought that I might just suggest some conventions about trading that may benefit some members with less experience.

1. For a start the only good trade is one where both parties walk away happy and satisfied about what they traded away and what they got in return. Before you finalize any deal you should ask yourself if you are going to be pleased with the outcome. If you have any sense of dissatisfaction – don’t conclude the trade. Always have a bottom line from where you are willing to walk away from the deal if you consider it too rich.

2. Putting a value on what you are trading away and what you are getting is very difficult. There is no point in valuing your trade cards if your fellow trader doesn’t agree with your source. There are a number of price guides out there but not everyone believes that they accurately reflect the market. Card for card too is not very helpful either when you are trading inserts for commons (or maybe promos). Frankly, it doesn’t matter what you trade so long as condition (1) above ap[plies!!

3. If you are offered a trade for cards that are directly out of your collection then you may like to consider thinking about how you are going to replace them. Three of the cards I traded away were from my collection but I had already checked and knew that I could replace them from the ‘bay immediately.

4. This is my personal opinion but I believe that commons have no market value (albeit that you may view them as valuable to complete a set.) My attitude is that I would far sooner see them doing something useful in someone else’s collection rather than moldering away in my garage. I will always give commons away to those who need them. If I get commons back that I need then that is a real bonus. I will frequently trade 40-50 commons just to get a card or two that I want.

5. Postage (in most cases) should be quid pro quo. In other words you pay to send to them and they pay to send to you. The only time that that may change is when the sheer quantity of cards is greater one way than the other.

6. Finally, it is always a nice courtesy when your cards arrive to advise them that they arrived safely and to thank the sender for the deal. With a bit of luck you will trade again with that person. Happy trading.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

1. For a start the only good trade is one where both parties walk away happy and satisfied about what they traded away and what they got in return.

To be honest that is all you need and I agree you should allways let the person know that the cards they sent have arrived safe and that they have your's

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
One thing that people seem to forget. There is no harm and no bad feelings that come from a rejected offer. Deals fall apart. Terms can't be agreed on. It happens and it is not personal. I tried to trade with someone 3 or 4 different times on the same card. It just never happened. A few months later, I found the card from someone else and we made a trade. A few months after that the first trader who rejected my 3 different offers contacted me because I had something new on my trade list and then got pissed because I was not interested in trading for the card I was looking for 6 months earlier and had found someplace else. I never got angry when he rejected my offers but boy did I have some nerve rejecting his!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
A few months later, I found the card from someone else and we made a trade. A few months after that the first trader who rejected my 3 different offers contacted me because I had something new on my trade list and then got pissed because I was not interested in trading for the card I was looking for 6 months earlier and had found someplace else. I never got angry when he rejected my offers but boy did I have some nerve rejecting his!

That's a funny story and it is kind of typical of what can happen when trading with strangers. Years ago, when I was into sports cards and went to shows nearly every weekend, I personally knew dealers and other collectors and I would often make trades. You could examine each others cards, you knew the card grade and you changed hands on the spot. It is a lot harder to make successful trades online, too much time to think about it and too many unknowns.

That's not the main reason I don't trade anymore though. I really don't have enough non-sport cards to trade. I would only consider it with duplicates and since my focus is on autograph cards, I generally purchase a single card of what I like and that stays in my collection. I wouldn't trade a card out of my collection with the intention of buying it again, that seems like double work to me.

So anyway, all the trading tips are good, but what you really need is to establish a small circle of regular traders who are reliable and won't play any regret games. In this age where people don't meet each other anymore, it's harder than it used to be. Wink

Posts: 10391 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
I have just concluded a successful trade with another member of this forum and although the niceties of trading on this site are fairly well known to most of us, I thought that I might just suggest some conventions about trading that may benefit some members with less experience.

1. For a start the only good trade is one where both parties walk away happy and satisfied about what they traded away and what they got in return. Before you finalize any deal you should ask yourself if you are going to be pleased with the outcome. If you have any sense of dissatisfaction – don’t conclude the trade. Always have a bottom line from where you are willing to walk away from the deal if you consider it too rich.

2. Putting a value on what you are trading away and what you are getting is very difficult. There is no point in valuing your trade cards if your fellow trader doesn’t agree with your source. There are a number of price guides out there but not everyone believes that they accurately reflect the market. Card for card too is not very helpful either when you are trading inserts for commons (or maybe promos). Frankly, it doesn’t matter what you trade so long as condition (1) above ap[plies!!

3. If you are offered a trade for cards that are directly out of your collection then you may like to consider thinking about how you are going to replace them. Three of the cards I traded away were from my collection but I had already checked and knew that I could replace them from the ‘bay immediately.

4. This is my personal opinion but I believe that commons have no market value (albeit that you may view them as valuable to complete a set.) My attitude is that I would far sooner see them doing something useful in someone else’s collection rather than moldering away in my garage. I will always give commons away to those who need them. If I get commons back that I need then that is a real bonus. I will frequently trade 40-50 commons just to get a card or two that I want.

5. Postage (in most cases) should be quid pro quo. In other words you pay to send to them and they pay to send to you. The only time that that may change is when the sheer quantity of cards is greater one way than the other.

6. Finally, it is always a nice courtesy when your cards arrive to advise them that they arrived safely and to thank the sender for the deal. With a bit of luck you will trade again with that person. Happy trading.

Luckily I've never had a problem trading on this board. Members have always been courteous. ONCE, something someone sent me went missing, and we worked it out to our satisfaction. That stunk, but the post office's mistake certainly wasn't my trader's fault.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going through a drought with my card collecting, I had put all my binders in storage and was off-handily monitoring this forum and ebay. One day, almost out of habit, I checked what one my usual dealers had on offer and put together a list of what I wanted. I sent him the list of what I wanted with a list of cards I didn't want, mostly Shatner and Nimoy autos from sets I wasn't actually collecting, but just some big hit cards.

We did a swap, worked out great My first like for like trade, btlfannz's rule 1 was the key though. The dealer got rid of some lesser relic/costume cards and got some big hit cards in return, and I got some gaps filled but more importantly got my interest back with no actual expense.

Looking forward to the next one..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
I sent him the list of what I wanted with a list of cards I didn't want, mostly Shatner and Nimoy autos from sets I wasn't actually collecting, but just some big hit cards.

We did a swap, worked out great The dealer got rid of some lesser relic/costume cards and got some big hit cards in return, and I got some gaps filled but more importantly got my interest back with no actual expense.

Looking forward to the next one..

Hey, what a great story! It made me realise what a huge difference there is in simply going to the 'bay and buying what you want 'cos you can and actually opening up pathways between collectors to gain stuff you've wanted for years and...best of you've made two people very happy!!
Well done that man!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
The best kind of trade is where both parties walk away feeling they got a really good deal. I recently traded 3 costume cards (which had been sitting on my list for ages) for an autograph card (which always goes beyond my budget) and a bunch of new release inserts.
Ask both of us and i'm sure we'd both say we got the better deal Smile

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post