Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    This one is for the ebay sellers out there.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This one is for the ebay sellers out there.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Pay for insurance or take your chances.

This is the point.

quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
So it's not just the Post Office or because they are "government".

Ed

Not this.

I could care less who has delivery insurance or not. The question is why am I paying for a service and then paying more to insure that service is done properly?

The concept is absurd. "I know you paid me for a service but I might screw it up so you better pay me some more"

I'm not opposed to having the proper documentation to file a claim but my other question is how difficult is filing a claim even if you do? What are the wait times?

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I think it's 'fair' to require more expensive items be insured. However, history says getting claims to success can be a big challenge. If they do want me to pay extra, they should make it easier to address.
And at least SOME effort should be make to look for it, otherwise, whyever offer tracking? I can see where it fell off the rails. Go look for it. But, I'm convinced they take a request search, wait three days, do nothing and then close it.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:

To me, the more likely cause of missing mail is still that the person sending the envelope or package just didn't do it.

Just as counter to this, I would offer my own experience. Mykdude is too gracious to name and shame, but I'm one of the sellers he had a problem with. The package just...stopped moving...and never showed up or came back to me. I don't mind saying I was the guy cause I took care of it. But, I sent it. I mention it to say that it isn't always shifty sellers./QUOTE]

Lynne, even though my payment is on its way to you as we speak, I will stand by my statement that "the more likely cause of missing mail" is that the person didn't send it. That is excluding present company. I do business with you because I know you will send it and will own it. Wink

If you are not buying from a large retail store, which can refund or replace easily, or don't have eBay's buyer protection, you must know and trust the seller before making any higher dollar purchases. Very few people will file complaints with the Attorney General. Even fewer will want to go to Small Claims Court or Judge Judy. If you have an unreliable seller, or even worse someone you don't know at all, most people will wind up eating the loss.

Also something about tracking numbers and insured mail that people don't realize is that the PO takes the claim from the sender, which is the seller. The buyer can't file anything when inquiries fall flat. The seller has to go to the PO with the tracking receipt, have the insurance on it, and then prove that the item has the value for the insurance. Even with all that, the PO only will refund up to a certain amount, if they decide to refund anything.

So the buyer really gets caught between a rock and a hard place when the PO makes it hard to make a claim and the seller may not want to help you make a claim. That is not to discourage anyone from buying with individual sellers, because I do it a lot, but you have to know them because there is no way to absolutely guarantee delivery short of picking it up yourself. Bad sellers use the bad PO as an excuse, the same way that COVID has been blamed for every problem in the past year, even if it had nothing to do with it.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the idea of developing relationships with dealers. It helps in situations like this to know that everyone is trying their best. eBay has always felt to me very shallow with buyers coming and going. I'm much prefer to deal with people like yourself over and over.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Lynne,

It's funny that you say that because one of my friends, who deals in natural history-related items, once told me that he doesn't want any more customers because he preferred to sell to people he knew well. Unfortunately for him, a few of his clients have either passed away or gotten out of collecting. It has left him tempted to try selling on Ebay especially with trade shows still being cancelled, postponed, or restricted.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
I am a big fan of the idea of developing relationships with dealers. It helps in situations like this to know that everyone is trying their best. eBay has always felt to me very shallow with buyers coming and going. I'm much prefer to deal with people like yourself over and over.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Oh, over the years, I've heightened my ebay presence Wink But, I can wish for earlier days. Wink