Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Wikipedia - Bad reprisentation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wikipedia - Bad reprisentation
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
Hi there,
So today I am yet again trying to explain the world of the trading card to a non collector who has never heard of them Roll Eyes . Often I will link to external sites when doing this via email (usually NSU thanks Harris et al!). so I was looking at links and Wikipedia is the first hit when using Google. The listing is terrible! Eek Seriously so bad that Wikipedia has noted that parts of it look like an advert for topps. Shake Head There is a weird fascination with digital trading cards which have never been part of the mainstream hobby and a sidelining of all things non sport. What information there is seems to be out of date in a bad way! So I call you to arms! (well keyboards) surly we can represent our beloved hobby better than this? Please!

non sport entry

clicky

Posts: 9 | Location: England | Registered: July 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I agree. That's a poor representation of our hobby. And I have never heard non-sports referred to as "editorial cards."

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I have a terminology section on my website if you want to send them there http://www.jbadham.biz/Cards/terms.htm It doesn't really explain why you would want to collect cards, just focuses on some confusing words after you've already decided to.

Wikipedia can be truly awful and occasionally surprisingly excellent. My research field is social network analysis and, for a very long time, all of the entries were very wrong. However, they needed to be rewritten rather than just fixed because different concepts were confused. Eventually someone must have found the time because I checked every so often thinking I would do it, but about a year ago several articles had been done from scratch and were clear and correct.

Maybe it could be a Card Talk project to write a replacement.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Well I have some time tomorrow I can work on some of the listings at least and maybe a little more. Maybe adding a couple of pictures would help too.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Tangent, that link is great I may well use that in the future. Chris if you did have time to tweek some bits that would be great, and pictures Eek

Posts: 9 | Location: England | Registered: July 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrsCultStuff:
Tangent, that link is great I may well use that in the future. Chris if you did have time to tweek some bits that would be great, and pictures Eek

I second that. Hope we can get this going. An explanation of non-sport trading card terminology would be great. We used to have one on the old Philly Non-Sports Card site too but that's down now. I could dig it out and send it to you tangent if you want it. It was created many years ago so any terminology added in the last several years would need to be added (though you probably already have it on your site).

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Would you believe that it was actually worse? At one point, there was NO mention whatsoever of non-sport cards - I added the sections (towards the bottom) on Autographs and Memorabilia, costume and prop cards a few years ago (As well as a couple of the External links - see if you can guess which ones? Big Grin)
I know that artist Rusty Gilligan contributed to the Sketch card section pretty extensively.
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Cool! I don't think I knew that...or if I did, I had forgotten. Thanks for the link, Paul. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
We could add a section on "Non-Sports Cards in Media" adding the appearance of cards in the Avengers and other movies and TV shows. I worked on it a little bit today. I should have more time tomorrow, but it is least not a huge add for just Topps now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris Cline,

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I've added a few more links and a couple of sets to represent the more international aspect of the hobby (i.e. Cult-Stuff and Pop Culture Company)
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted Hide Post
All I can say is WOW. Whoever is updating you are doing a great job.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I will add some more today when I have a chance, I wish I could figure out how to add pictures.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Any way you can change it to non-sport (singular) cards? Some call it non-sports and some call it non-sport. I don't mean to start a debate about that but we have always refereed to it as non-sport unless talking about the Philly Non-Sports Card Show, which we did not name.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Ok I think I got them all but the tittle which I don't know how to change.

Who ever created the link inside the "Trading Card" listing might have to change it.

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris. I decided to get in on the action too. Smile I made a couple of minor changes. The doc said that early packaging including a piece of gun. LOL Changed that and another minor thing or two. I also changed all the instances of "Skybox" to "SkyBox"

Questions---

- The section with the examples of humor, movies, etc. is kind of odd, no? A layman might think that it is a complete listing of all of that type of card that has been issued.

- Is Art De Bart correct? I've always thought it is three words, not two. And I notice it's actually inconsistent on the page, worded as two words in the first instance, and three words in the second. I would go with three myself.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Art De Bart

lol...good catch. I haven't played with the sketch card part yet but I think you are right about the three words. I added a description to the main listing stating that these are not all the sets available but would love input from anyone on how to clear it up a little more.

posted Hide Post
please forgive me if I seem to be raining on your parade here Drool but contrary to NSU beleif. there IS, yes there really is a world of collectors both knowledgable and quite dedicated beyond the confines of nonsport update. I dare to say that the hobby (even with recent changes) has been self sustaining lonmg before NSU's inception and while I dont belittle expert input that is plentiful here on NSUCT. Id hate to think this community considers itself the end all of cards.

Posts: 45 | Location: north carolina | Registered: September 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lisalisa:
please forgive me if I seem to be raining on your parade here Drool but contrary to NSU beleif. there IS, yes there really is a world of collectors both knowledgable and quite dedicated beyond the confines of nonsport update. I dare to say that the hobby (even with recent changes) has been self sustaining lonmg before NSU's inception and while I dont belittle expert input that is plentiful here on NSUCT. Id hate to think this community considers itself the end all of cards.

What made you say that?

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
What MrsCultStuff said. Where on earth did that come from..........and why?

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What made me say that is the fact that I am irked by the huberous and lack of open minds. It frankly seems very prevelant on here. Not just about the wikipedia on nonsports, but many things.Shipping on ebay, prices on ebay, the almost sheep like need to buy anything that is thrown in front of you be it bad card sets or expensive card sets. I at the time sawe it as unneeded criticism of what was intended as a helpful explanation of nonsports by the people who edited the wikipedia artciles everyone seems to be bashing. I also felt that rather than nit pick and post gripes about it in topics created by so called profesional people (which is exactly what happened) positive reinforcing and helpful input should have been done without discussion. Thats EXPECTED here by the powers that be isnt it? I am sorry if I came off as angry rude or harsh. As for why I said what I did, well again at the time I felt rather defensive as I was one of the very people who have in the past edited parts of the very wikipedia article people seemed to be slamming.
On a side note, in my opinion I think it is a safe bet to say that not everyone who collects, wants to collect or even is intelligent understands this hobby like seasoned pros. When trying to teach people, sometimes its good to do it by placing yourself in their shoes. In laymans terms if you will. Angel

Posts: 45 | Location: north carolina | Registered: September 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post