Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What's your worst nightmare?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your worst nightmare?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
I was thinking today about what my worst nightmares in card collecting are. Here's three for starters. Post what yours are.
1. Opening a pack to find that the top card is finally the one you have been looking for for years only to find that the pack crimper has done it right across the top of the card.

2. Hasn't happened for a while but where a company issued three skip numbered sets and then didn't release the final set.

3. Just as you've finally got a redemption card for the chase card of your dreams the company goes bust.

What else??

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Winning a 1/1 card and it either gets lost or damaged in the mail - which means you will never find that particular card again.

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
1. Finding out the cards in the pack are stuck together and the chase card I need is damaged.

2. Finding out a awesome card set is being made but is then never released.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
1. Getting an extremely rare autograph card in a box and finding it damaged or the signature smudged and the worst example of the signature ever. (I'm sure this one will be a common nightmare scenario).

2. Buying a box claiming you get 2 autographs or costume cards and finding no hits at all. (It may not be the worst nightmare, but is certainly one of the most vexing.)

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Missing hits especially an autograph has to be pretty bad.

But one of the worst nightmares has to be damaging your own hits before you get a chance to put them in top loaders.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That I realize what I've spent on this "Hobby".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: treksearcher,

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Meeting Wolfie in a dark alley?

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In general, that water or fire destroys all my card binders.

Box wise, I don't mind an average autograph, but if the main hit is a sketch card and I get one that looks like it came from a kindergarden class, I see red. Mad

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Fire, Flood and Going Blind!

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
1.Opening two boxes and still not making a full set of basics.
2. Living in a country with no card shows, no card shops and crippling postage rates from America.
3. Having so many sets of cards that keeping accurate records of what you've got and need causes you to order an expensive set that you've already got.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
A house fire or a flood.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I'm nervous every time I load the van for a big show. Losing all that would be devastating. But there's no reasonable way to insure it.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:

Meeting Wolfie in a dark alley?

Be afraid, be very afraid. Eek

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

Lived this nightmare all too often recently with base sets Mad

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR2D2:
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

Lived this nightmare all too often recently with base sets Mad

That's why base sets sell for £1 now. Eek

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
In general, that water or fire destroys all my card binders.

Box wise, I don't mind an average autograph, but if the main hit is a sketch card and I get one that looks like it came from a kindergarden class, I see red. Mad

Yes, yes, and especially YES!!! Mad

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Someone accidentally spilling a glass of milk over my binders.
Which almost happened had I not had the cunning and agility of a ninja to push my binders aside. I've had milk spilt over a stack of records once... it stained and stuck and... well, you get the picture. Cards are way more fragile than records covers.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Having the mailman severely bend your package, which contains cards that you paid a fortune for, in order to get it through the mail slot, even though it says DO NOT BEND on it. Happened to me once many years ago.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dex1186
posted Hide Post
One of my nightmares that happened was a Auto I got it came in the same size envelopes as the auto. An not thinking when I opened the auto tore it straight down. I know not the best way to open but the corners where bent from it being the same size of the auto anyways so it was gonna be a fail from the beginning lol.

Posts: 73 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
I am a little scared to even think about it...

But, here is my card collecting nightmare, anyway. I store them all in sealed boxes in a climate controlled environment in stackable, rigid, plastic boxes. I have a recurring dream where someone breaks into my house and is able to very easily carry them off because I have them so nicely packaged. In my dream, I come home to an empty room. My wife and I cry.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post