Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ST autos
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Fans of the Game

These are the Non-sport autograph cards from 2004 (at least, to my way of thinking --YMMV)

Jules Asner 2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber Baseball Fans of the Game FG-1
Chris Berman 2004 Playoff Absolute Football Memorabilia Fans of the Game FG3
Corbin Bernsen 2004 Playoff Honors Baseball Fans of the Game 252
John Clayton 2004 Playoff Absolute Football Memorabilia Fans of the Game FG5
Linda Cohn 2004 Leaf Rookies & Stars Football Fans of the Game FG6
Jamie-Lynn DiScala 2004 Donruss Throwback Threads Baseball Fans of the Game FG-4
Rich Eisen 2004 Playoff Absolute Football Memorabilia Fans of the Game FG4
Shannon Elizabeth 2004 Donruss Throwback Threads Baseball Fans of the Game FG-2
Emilio Estevez 2004 Donruss Throwback Threads Baseball Fans of the Game FG-1
Erik Estrada 2004 Playoff Absolute Football Memorabilia Fans of the Game FG1
Damien Fahey 2004 Leaf Rookies & Stars Football Fans of the Game FG3
Peter Gammons 2004 Playoff Honors Baseball Fans of the Game 253
James Gandolfini 2004 Donruss Elite Baseball Fans of the Game 201
Jeff Garlin 2004 Playoff Honors Baseball Fans of the Game 254
Tony Hawk 2004 Leaf Rookies & Stars Football Fans of the Game FG1
Dennis Haysbert 2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber Baseball Fans of the Game FG-2
Val Kilmer 2004 Donruss World Series Baseball Fans of the Game 1
Larry King 2004 Playoff Honors Baseball Fans of the Game 255
Mel Kiper Jr. 2004 Playoff Honors Football Fans of the Game 236
Denis Leary 2004 Donruss Studio Baseball Fans of the Game 217
Stan Lee 2004 Donruss World Series Baseball Fans of the Game 2
Jackie Mason 2004 Leaf Rookies & Stars Football Fans of the Game FG4
Adam Mesh 2004 Donruss Studio Baseball Fans of the Game 220
Joe Montegna 2004 Donruss Throwback Threads Baseball Fans of the Game FG-3
Chris Mortensen 2004 Playoff Honors Football Fans of the Game 237
Chris O'Donnell 2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber Baseball Fans of the Game FG-3
John O'Hurley 2004 Playoff Honors Football Fans of the Game 238
Regis Philbin 2004 Donruss Studio Baseball Fans of the Game 216
Ray Romano 2004 Playoff Honors Football Fans of the Game 234
Darius Rucker 2004 Playoff Honors Football Fans of the Game 235
Bob Saget 2004 Leaf Rookies & Stars Football Fans of the Game FG5
Steve Schirripa 2004 Donruss Studio Baseball Fans of the Game 219
Gene Shalit 2004 Donruss World Series Baseball Fans of the Game 4
Charlie Sheen 2004 Playoff Honors Baseball Fans of the Game 251
Jonathan Silverman 2004 Donruss Throwback Threads Baseball Fans of the Game FG-5
John Travolta 2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber Baseball Fans of the Game FG-5
Leeann Tweeden 2004 Donruss World Series Baseball Fans of the Game 5

And here's 2005

Sean Astin 2005 Leaf Baseball Fans of the Game FG-1
Dean Cain 2005 Donruss Baseball Fans of the Game FG-4
Tia Carrere 2005 Playoff Prestige Baseball Fans of the Game FG-2
Tony Danza 2005 Leaf Baseball Fans of the Game FG-2
Taye Diggs 2005 Leaf Baseball Fans of the Game FG-3
Susie Essman 2005 Donruss Baseball Fans of the Game FG-3
Tony Hawk 2005 Playoff Prestige Baseball Fans of the Game FG-1
Meat Loaf 2005 Donruss Baseball Fans of the Game FG-5
John C. McGinley 2005 Donruss Baseball Fans of the Game FG-2
Matthew Modine 2005 Playoff Prestige Baseball Fans of the Game FG-3
Rick Reilly 2005 Playoff Prestige Football Fans of the Game FG-1
Jesse Ventura 2005 Donruss Baseball Fans of the Game FG-1

Thanks for posting the list. I managed to get quite a few of these in my travels, but never went after the lot. The James Gandolfini is I think the most expensive and I seem to recall that it was really limited, but don't know if it was more or less than 10.

A word of warning. All these cards have sticker signatures and there is actually a crimped seal on the sticker. They may carry the Donruss or Leaf brand name.

I have seen several base cards sold with signatures written directly on the card. There is a fairly large space near the bottom. While these signatures are in person and may or may not be genuine, buyers sometimes confuse them with the certified cards and think that's what their getting. Seller descriptions are not always helpful. Wink So make sure its a sticker with a seal. The backs should carry both numbers, but it doesn't talk about a guaranteed autograph either way. The term "authentic autograph" does not appear anywhere on the cards, which has also led to some confusion for collectors who expect to see it. It's all verified by the sticker and the seal.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
1988 - Imagine "Night of the Living Dead" green border

I have one of these. John Russo.

However, I believe that Imagine also took blank autograph cards to conventions, to get additional signers, and released those separately.

I'm not completely sure which are which.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Thanks for posting the list.

I should repeat -- this is not the full list of "Fans of the Game" cards -- it is only the list of those people who struck me (on the day I compiled it) as "non-sports".

For example, I include Tony Hawk. But if you maintain that skateboarding is a sport, I wouldn't argue about it.

And I left Summer Sanders off the list, but if you believe that she is more famous for her television work than her swimming, you should add her onto the list.

The full list of everyone, athletes and not, is here.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should repeat -- this is not the full list of "Fans of the Game" cards -- it is only the list of those people who struck me (on the day I compiled it) as "non-sports".

Looks like Jeff's list only covers 2004 and 2005 -- they continue to make Fans of the Game autographs today. These releases have several great autographs -- for example the most recent set has Chris Evans.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Looks like that's a quick one off from Panini America Football, Donruss is still on the cards, released around August 2018. They did make only 5 Fans of the Game sticker autographs:
Chris Evans
James Caan
Drea de Matteo
Chloe Kim
Matthew Berry

There are autograph and Holo versions limited to 100 copies. Don't know if that means each version or not.

Thirteen years between issues might be a record, but I don't think Panini did much to promote them because I don't remember hearing about them until now. Not surprised Allender hasn't updated either. Strictly speaking its not the same design.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thirteen years between issues might be a record, but I don't think Panini did much to promote them because I don't remember hearing about them until now. Not surprised Allender hasn't updated either. Strictly speaking its not the same design.

Sorry my post must have been unclear -- they have continued to make Fans of the Game autographs in various sets from the first release through current releases -- possibly not every year, but for a lot of years. There are many, many fans of the game autographs -- Daisy Ridley, Justin Bieber, Pam Anderson, Alyssa Milano, Al Pacino, etc.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
More Fans of the Game autos

Combined with the above, I think this is a complete list of the NS autographed FotG cards.

Pamela Anderson 2010-11 Donruss Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 2
Justin Bieber 2010-11 Donruss Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 3
Stompin' Tom Connors 2010-11 Donruss Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 1
Willa Ford 2010-11 Donruss Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 5
Michael Ontkean 2010-11 Donruss Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 4
Noureen DeWulf 2010-11 Panini Pinnacle Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 1
Duff Goldman 2010-11 Panini Pinnacle Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 3
Alyssa Milano 2011 Donruss Football National Treasures Fans of the Game Autos 1
Heidi Androl 2011-12 Panini Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 2
Michelle Beadle 2011-12 Panini Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 1
Jeff Carlson 2011-12 Panini Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 4
Steve Carlson 2011-12 Panini Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 5
Jonathan Davis 2011-12 Panini Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 6
Dave Hanson 2011-12 Panini Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 3
Alyssa Milano 2011-12 Panini Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 7
Jaime Pressley 2011-12 Panini Hockey Fans of the Game Autographs 8
Katrina Bowden 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs 15
John Buccigross 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs 3
Melanie Collins 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs 5
Steve Levy 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs 4
John C. McGinley 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs 13
Jay Onrait 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs 6
Dan O'Toole 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs 7
Audrina Patridge 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs 14
Greg Wyshynski 2013-14 Panini Hockey Crown Royal Fans of the Game Autographs FGGW
Skylar Astin 2016 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 4
Megan Fox 2016 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 3
Darryl McDaniels 2016 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 7
Marisa Miller 2016 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 6
Daniella Monet 2016 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 5
Al Pacino 2016 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 2
Daisy Ridley 2016 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 1
Skylar Astin 2016 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 4
Megan Fox 2016 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 3
Darryl McDaniels 2016 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 7
Marisa Miller 2016 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 6
Daniella Monet 2016 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 5
Al Pacino 2016 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 2
Daisy Ridley 2016 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 1
Joey Belladonna 2017 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 1
Chris Berman 2017 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 3
Genevieve Morton 2017 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 2
Dick Vitale 2017 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs 4
Joey Belladonna 2017 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 1
Chris Berman 2017 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 3
Genevieve Morton 2017 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 2
Dick Vitale 2017 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs 4
Matthew Berry 2018 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs FAN-MB
James Caan 2018 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs FAN-JC
Drea de Matteo 2018 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs FAN-DM
Chris Evans 2018 Donruss Football Fans of the Game Autographs FAN-CE
Matthew Berry 2018 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs FAN-MB
James Caan 2018 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs FAN-JC
Drea de Matteo 2018 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs FAN-DM
Chris Evans 2018 Donruss Football Optic Fans of the Game Autographs FAN-CE

(these lists don't include super-limited parallel sets for which less than 5 cards were issued)

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's really interesting, there probably really should have been a thread following this because non-sport collectors are not going to be aware of 5 or 6 celebrity signers coming out in hockey and football products every year or so. Seeing those names, I'll bet the ones I do recognize as non-sport come from the over flow of stickers that were signed for Americana and Pop Century and just stuck into another set.

The ever lasting beauty of the sticker autograph for card makers. Put it in anything. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's really interesting, there probably really should have been a thread following this because non-sport collectors are not going to be aware of 5 or 6 celebrity signers coming out in hockey and football products every year or so.

Oh, there are a ton of non-sport people in sports sets nowadays.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That's really interesting, there probably really should have been a thread following this because non-sport collectors are not going to be aware of 5 or 6 celebrity signers coming out in hockey and football products every year or so.

Oh, there are a ton of non-sport people in sports sets nowadays.

Yes, I am aware that there has been an accumulation of celebrities in sports card products. I was just speaking about the list you put up and how each hockey or football product has a few, but not many, non-sport signers. I do think its a result of having sticker signatures that can be used to pad the autograph list in just about anything not too title specific.

I would also guess, and its just a guess, that in general sports card collectors might be happier pulling a non-sport celebrity signature than non-sport card collectors would like to pull a pro player's autograph. Of course it does depend on how well known anyone is. Wink

posted Hide Post
Fans of the Game is great -- I watch for new autographs every year.

There are also great autographs mixed sets like Allen and Ginter and Goodwin Champions.

And recently there have been some really top tier autographs in sports sets -- in 2016 Topps release a series of autographs from Bull Durham including Kevin Costner, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I sold my 1st Brent Spiner First Contact Auto for $1250 about 2 weeks after the set came out. I traded for one a month later and sold it for $1500. I miss the pre-internet days when you never knew when or if you'd ever see the card in real life.

Also, I was the Only dealer in S.Texas whose boxes had the Poster insert sets. a hiccup in distribution but it helped me move a lot of sets.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
I miss the pre-internet days when you never knew when or if you'd ever see the card in real life.

I think those of us who collected things pre-internet all miss it really. It's true that you can find the things you are looking for and have bigger, better collections. But the bottom fell out of so many collectible markets when the internet made people realize that 10,000 and 5,000 runs weren't limited editions and all those rare items that you never saw in your area could be bought at a click. All those $40 future heirlooms are laying around at $10 BINs thirty years later. Big Grin

There used to be such satisfaction when you came upon an item you had been searching for, almost regardless of price. And things you let go might never be seen again, even without artificial rarity. Its kind of sad that all the generations who have and will grow up with the internet will never experience the frustrations and joy that we had running around like lunatics after things we really thought were special. Smile

posted Hide Post
The thing I miss most about collecting pre-internet was you could actually find lots of cards and comics at comic shows.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I collected some of the Comic Images sets in the 90's (Olivia, William Stout). I never pulled a Medallion card nor an autograph out of a pack (bought at least one box of those) and saw only one (Best of Olivia) Medallion card at a show - bought it. I got just one Bella Subset card out of one box and a bunch of packs of another Olivia set and never saw the other two for years. It took me a while just to finish the first Stout chromium card set (Antarctica). Not as many dealers did that set.

The Medallion card was rare (1 every 3 boxes?) so it was maybe $35 when you did find one. These days, you can find almost any one of them right now and under $20.

quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
I sold my 1st Brent Spiner First Contact Auto for $1250 about 2 weeks after the set came out. I traded for one a month later and sold it for $1500. I miss the pre-internet days when you never knew when or if you'd ever see the card in real life.

Also, I was the Only dealer in S.Texas whose boxes had the Poster insert sets. a hiccup in distribution but it helped me move a lot of sets.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, some things were hard to find but I found lots of promos I hadn't heard of before especially in dollar/bargain boxes. Some of them turned out to be tough finds even now.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
The thing I miss most about collecting pre-internet was you could actually find lots of cards and comics at comic shows.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's not in the running for having the oldest non-sport autograph cards but the Pro Cheerleaders (Lime Rock, 1992) set had pack-inserted autographs not too long after the earliest sets. I haven't heard what the odds are for pulling one but they were rather rare. They are distinct from base cards by having blank backs. While they aren't big money, they always sell, tending to go in the $10-20 range with some collectors quietly building collections of them. You just have to sort through the more numerous listings of signed base cards from unrelated signing events.

quote:
So nothing prior to 1988, then.

FWIW, this is what I know of for early (1991 and before) NS autos:

1988 - Imagine "Night of the Living Dead" green border
1988 - Imagine "Grande Illusions" Tom Savini
1990 - Imagine "Scream Queens"
1990 - Imagine "Night of the Living Dead" red border
1991 - Collect-A-Card "Vette Set" Mario Andretti
1991 - Comic Images "X-Men" Jim Lee
1991 - Comic Images "Boris" Boris Vallejo
1991 - Historical Images "Defenders of Freedom" Norman Schwarzkopf
1991 - ProLine "Portraits" NFL Wives
1991 - Star Pics "Soaps of ABC"
1991 - Star Pics "Twin Peaks"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I also have a Lime Rock Cheerleaders auto as shown below albeit from another team:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I should point out that the Pro Line Portraits autographs are also specially-embossed.

quote:
I think the reason why the 1991 Pro Line Portraits set was done like that was to make it look more personal and set it apart from all the other football sets with players in uniform and on the field. As mentioned it also included more than a dozen player's wives. It was most definitely a sports card set.

The sports card autographs that are more interesting to non-sport card collectors would be the 2004 Donruss Fans of the Game series. These signed sticker autograph cards were put into Donruss packs in all their different 2004 sports products. They have a similar design, but were not found in one set or one sport license. There are many names in the list that not only never signed on sports cards, but also for some people, never signed any type of cards again.

A partial list that I remember are John O'Hurley, Gene Shalit, Regis Philbin, Charley Sheen, Emilio Estavez, Meat Loaf, Stan Lee, Corbin Bernsen, Peter Gammons, Janet Evans, Val Kilmer, Larry King, Chris O'Donnell and Bob Segat. There were more. That group of inserts could use a special thread.