Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oddball cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This card was inserted with "X-Files: Fight the Future" VHS videocassettes. It measures 3 1/2 x 5 inches and features artwork that is sort of an optical illusion. It looks like an alien's face to me, but looked at another way, it's a view of half of a man's face and half of a woman's face looking forward.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a United Airlines 6-card set you could get some time ago. United Airlines pilots gave them out. They show six of the planes in service by the airline at the time. The cards are 2 3/8x 3 3/8 inches, slightly smaller than standard size, and undated. The seller couldn't remember when they were given out but based on the planes shown, they were probably available between 2005 and 2010 (maybe a couple of years later). The card backs provide basic details (length, wing span, height, cruising speed, etc.).

I've seen the set for sale from time to time. Hard to say whether it's rare but it doesn't appear to be common. I don't see one for sale now.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This popped up in an ebay search today -- not sure if these are legitimate cards or fan made, but they look legit.

I have no other information:

Fireball run card featuring Brian O’Halloran:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304394972918

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rush cards.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That site reminds of another one that was more about oddball non-sport. It went down early last year or the year before. It was called something like "In Search of the Lost Card" (cardznew.com - something like that).

I couldn't think of any Rush cards - maybe in one of those European 70's-80's sets though they're Canadian so maybe not.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Rush cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #1 from the 8-card "Nestle Quik Magic Science Cards" set. It is undated but was made with the Xograph technique, a process of lenticular printing in late 60's and 70's. This one is a dual-image lenticular that switches from artwork of a Stegosaurus skeleton to artwork of the animal as it might have looked alive. Back text is in English and French and has a New Brunswick address so it was a Canadian issue.

I had never seen any of these cards before until Promoking gave me this one. I've never seen it listed in any guide.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Since the previous post, David R. alerted me to images of the whole 8-card "Nestle Quik Magic Science Cards" set. Here are the fronts and backs:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an oddball card, actually an uncut sheet of four Marvel hologram cards with a 1983 copyright. I don't know the source. They might have been inserted with a food product. The size wasn't provided but judging by how a single fits in a standard top loader, the cards are about 2 x 2 inches.

I saw a single sell for a Best Offer under $150 (3-25-22).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25497...rksid=p2047675.l2557

The uncut sheet was a comparative bargain at $150 (1-21-22). Why so valuable?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I saw a single sell for a Best Offer under $150 (3-25-22).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25497...rksid=p2047675.l2557

The uncut sheet was a comparative bargain at $150 (1-21-22). Why so valuable?

Marvel and a claim of being first.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actress/model Barbara Leigh was chosen to play "Vampirella" in a movie back in the 70's but it never got made. There were photoshoots of her in the costume while it was still in the planning stages and many of them made the cover of various issues of "Vampirella" magazine at the time.

Jump to these early years of the 2020's. Barbara Leigh still signs at shows and she wanted to have something else to sell besides 8x10's so she had a 9-card set printed using those photos (plus an apparent convention photo) again. The cards are 2 x 3 inches and said to be on thick card stock. They are blank-backed but Leigh signs each one with a short inscription. You can buy sets and singles.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one of the stranger ideas for a trading card set even for the 90's when manufacturers tried out all kinds of subjects. "Cat Baseball" (Purr-Fecto, 1993) is promo set with three unnumbered cards that feature the work of an unknown artist. They spoof sports cards with cats playing in an imaginary baseball league. It's not surprising that the regular set was never made but these cards testify to the fact that someone seriously considered going forward with a set of baseball cards with cats as the players. You know what that means. Yes, you guessed it - cats with stats.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have that Cat Baseball set of three. They are catalogued in PCE.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just saw this card the other day and had a vague memory of a Card Talk thread about a set of them:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....997047676#4997047676

I had to decide whether to update that "New Promo Card" thread about cards now getting old or just adding it to this thread since it's an oddball with the cards given out only to employees of the company. I assume all the cards feature the actress as the various characters and with that frame.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of a card company business card printed as a standard-sized card rather than the smaller business card size. In this case it was done by Tempo, an Australian company, for a product manager. Some collectors want these too especially in the case of Tempo because it also printed some general promos that each advertised several sets so a business card like this fits right in with those.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a standard-size motion card showing the crash of the Hindenburg. I'm reasonably sure that it was made by Kodak because I found it with other similar motion cards that did show the Kodak logo and apparently promote the Biography TV show/channel and the History Channel - seen here:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....097026596#8097026596

All these cards show above average motion in terms of duration and quality and they were said to have been made in the 90's. Few companies other than Kodak were capable of making cards like these at the time.

This card doesn't appear to be part of a set nor does it seem to promote anything. It's possible that it's a test card made to show what the company could make or it may be a trade show giveaway though you'd think the company logo would be on it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another standard-size lenticular card without a confirmed source. It shows high quality motion from footage of the Nuremburg Trials (held to prosecute Nazi officials for war crimes) in the mid-1940's. Said to have been made in the 90's, it was probably made by Kodak which was one of the few companies capable of making high quality motion cards then. I bought this one with the Hindenburg card plus a few other similar cards that did have the Kodak logo.

Like the Hindenburg card, this one doesn't appear to be part of a set (unless it's a 2-card set with them in it) nor does it seem to promote anything. It might be a test card made to show a client what's possible with something the size of a trading card.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo sticker (AKG, no year but it was 1998) for AKG Acoustics, a company that sells recording equipment. It was packaged with an AKG microphone that cost at least a few hundred dollars in 1998. It measures 2 11/16 x 4 inches and features artwork of perhaps a Kokopelli-like character performing.

I haven't seen another one these floating around and don't know if AKG inserted other stickers in their products before or after that. It's an example of a promo item you might find when you least expect it. You just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one from a 4-card promo set for the James Bond movie "Tomorrow Never Dies" (United Artists Corporation/Danjac LLC/Heineken USA, Inc., 1997). These cards are unnumbered and measure 4x7 inches with the backs being identical. The fronts show scenes from the movie. The backs offer merchandise related to the movie and Heineken.

PCE2008 lists the set with source unknown but has it as available in a plastic-wrapped pack. That's probably how they were originally distributed but I found mine as singles on a rack in a local liquor store. I looked for them in another liquor store but didn't see any. I think I found a few more cards that week in a Safeway grocery store but not in others so it appears it was not something that could be easily acquired at least in my area. The cards might have been out for a short time as well since I didn't see them again after that second find which did complete my set plus some extras.

I hadn't seen any for sale for a long time until a few years ago when I started seeing them on Ebay. There seems to be at least a few singles, if not a set, every time I look now and they're reasonably priced.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the first three cards in the "Fossil Cards" set (Mostly Minerals, 1995). It's a 72-card set available only as a set. As the title says, it's a collection of photos of various fossils on the fronts with descriptive text on the backs. It might have been for sale only at gem/mineral/fossil shows. I haven't seen it offered in years. It's one of the more obscure dinosaur-related sets. Even the Dinofan website, a quite comprehensive guide for dinosaur cards, doesn't list it.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting these Jess.
I especially enjoyed the Albertosaurus and the Albertella cards! I think I will change my Avatar to one of them.. Wink

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post