Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oddball cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another odd type of card. It's an unreleased redemption card from "The World is Not Enough" (Inkworks, 1999). You can tell the difference between the redemption card you could pull from a pack and this one because the one in the packs has a check mark next to the name of the autograph card it could be redeemed for. This one doesn't. It's one of those cards that some collectors don't care about if they have the autograph and the returned redemption while others like any variant they can get.

Also shown is the back of an unreleased redemption card from the The Beatles Collection (Sports Time, 1996). It's a variant of the Beatlebilia card inserted in packs and serial-numbered out of 100 with each number redeemable for a particular piece of Beatles memorabilia. The unreleased one isn't serial-numbered.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a 2005 card that promotes a historical reenactor who specializes in life during the Middle Ages. It is #4 so it seems to be part of a set but this is the only one I've seen. The back text indicates that it is associated with a Roman coin so it might be something extra you received when you bought a coin from the reenactor.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post

A series of cards based on Landmark Entertainment properties. One of which is the ST Experience. The second image is the box/pack it came in.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These are cool cards -- thank you for sharing.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I have two of those WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH redemption cards, and indeed the boxes are ticked with gold checkmarks. However, mine are not redeemed, so there are no holes punched in them.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:

A series of cards based on Landmark Entertainment properties. One of which is the ST Experience. The second image is the box/pack it came in.

I looked for that card for years until a friend sold me his a year ago. I consider it as one of the top 5 most desirable ST promo cards in existence. The picture doesn't do it justice because the gold writing is strident and embossed and the card's coating is similar to that of the marvel Masterpieces 1995 set. Quite smooth and glossy. It's part of a 25 card set from that company.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You get only a few Landmark cards in a pack and the packs are hard to find. One came up for sale last year. I assume singles have appeared for sale but haven't seen one.

Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I agree that the scan isn't the greatest, I thought as I posted it that the card looks soooo much more glorious than represented Wink It's such a classy looking card and I consider it in my top 10 favorite of all my cards. I like 'crossover' cards where my Star Trek appears in unusual places Wink
In connection with that one is this:

It's a 3x3 lenticular card attached to an invitation to opening of the Experience. I am very forgiving in my definition of lenticulars. I'll take them attached to anything Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's another odd type of card. It's an unreleased redemption card from "The World is Not Enough" (Inkworks, 1999). You can tell the difference between the redemption card you could pull from a pack and this one because the one in the packs has a check mark next to the name of the autograph card it could be redeemed for. This one doesn't. It's one of those cards that some collectors don't care about if they have the autograph and the returned redemption while others like any variant they can get.

I have this 'un-checked' card + the set of 6 with a different check mark for each signer. Some interesting bits came out of the Inkworks liquidation.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Some interesting bits came out of the Inkworks liquidation.

That's putting it mildly. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It looks fine. Believe me, I know how hard it can be to scan/photograph a lenticular especially if it has a dark background. Scanners can't pick up the depth of a good lenticular image and they can capture only a blur of transition/motion at best if it shows two images or more.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
I agree that the scan isn't the greatest, I thought as I posted it that the card looks soooo much more glorious than represented Wink It's such a classy looking card and I consider it in my top 10 favorite of all my cards. I like 'crossover' cards where my Star Trek appears in unusual places Wink
In connection with that one is this:

It's a 3x3 lenticular card attached to an invitation to opening of the Experience. I am very forgiving in my definition of lenticulars. I'll take them attached to anything Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another oddball card type - the promo playing card usually part of the usual 52-card deck. In 1978 decks were made to promote a variety of TV shows that were running that year. They featured publicity shots and have been said to have come from a TV station in Omaha, Nebraska but they might have been a trade show promo too. I have seen singles for sale for years and saw a complete deck available a few years ago for maybe $20-25 and I should have jumped on that.

Dark Horse comics had a promo playing card deck in 2004 and some movie promos given out are card decks as well.

The movie, "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Gun Barrels" had a promo card that kind of spoofed the promo playing card idea.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

I came across the following cards recently amongst my collection and thought you might like to see them.

The Brooke Bond card sheets were issued in July 1993 with various issues of the Daily Mirror/Sunday Mirror newspapers. (note the actual single cards are sized 68mm x 32mm with art by John Sibbick) and the Jacob's card sheets also 1993 but I am not sure how they were distributed (again note actual single cards are sized 78mm x 49mm andds were issued with Jacob's "Dinosaur" chocolate biscuits and the Album was obtained direct from Jacobs by sending in two wrappers). It is also quite likely that there might be other versions of the Brooke Bond sheets as it was not unusual for the complete set of cards to be issued in this fashion as well as a single card issue in the tea packets. An album was also issued for the Brooke Bond set but at the moment I don't have that to hand.

Brooke Bond The Dinosaur Trail 20 card set
4 card sheet Front
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

4 card sheet back

6 card sheet front

6 card sheet back

Jacobs School of Dinosaurs 30 card set
10 card sheet front

10 card sheet back

School of Dinosaurs Album cover

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those are great, John. Thanks. I might be mistaken but I think I have a Dinosaur Trail album with at least some of the cards inside. I couldn't find it this morning - shouldn't have moved it from where it was for years.

When you say "Jacobs," is that related to Jacob's Gems? I remember seeing an animal card set connected to Jacob's Gems several years ago. The seller wanted $60 for the set, saying it was rare.

Thanks again,

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #1 from kind of an oddball 10-card set titled, "American Dream Calendar Girl." It appears to be associated with the American Dream Calendars of the late 80's to 2000's though it is undated with no photography credits nor copyright information. The back text introduces the featured model.

I have wondered if the set is actually unlicensed or if it was packaged with the calendar one year though a dealer told me it was a separate set that was for sale in the 90's. He didn't have any other information about it. The set might be just something else that was sold by the calendar company.

I remember a wider variety of pin-up calendars for sale in the 80's and 90's than there has been in recent years but don't recall this brand.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Those are great, John. Thanks. I might be mistaken but I think I have a Dinosaur Trail album with at least some of the cards inside. I couldn't find it this morning - shouldn't have moved it from where it was for years.

When you say "Jacobs," is that related to Jacob's Gems? I remember seeing an animal card set connected to Jacob's Gems several years ago. The seller wanted $60 for the set, saying it was rare.

Thanks again,

Jess

Jess

Here in the UK Jacob's are a biscuit manufacturer known for their "cream crackers" and "mini cheddars". I have a very vague recollection of "Little Gems" biscuits are they what you mean?

I don't know if Jacob's distributes any products in the US but looking at their website they certainly have enough different products I have never heard of yet alone seen.

When you obtained the album from the manufacturer they also enclosed 4 cards which if you were lucky did not duplicate what you had already.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

After looking online for "Jacobs Gems," I saw something called "Jacob's Iced Gems" and knew that was it (memory had faded on the middle word until given a boost). An Ebay seller once offered a set of animal cards but they were undated. As I recall, they looked like they were made in the 80's or 90's but wasn't sure at the time. I haven't seen any of the cards for sale since.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a card that was talked about when it was new and it was discussed a little over a month ago after it was mentioned in an article in the April/May issue of NSU. What happened was Rittenhouse Archives was planning to make a "Get Smart" set in 2003 but surviving series star, Don Adams, decided he didn't want to sign. Without him on board, RA decided to cancel the set. It appears the company had thought he would sign because autograph cards for him, Barbara Feldon, and Bernie Kopell had been printed and Kopell had already signed and returned his by the time the project was cancelled. RA destroyed the unsigned Adams and Feldon cards but decided to send out the signed Kopell cards to dealers so they could give them to interested customers.

It's certainly an oddball card that could be argued as a promo - something the company gave away rather than sold outright - though it isn't a promo in a sense because it isn't worded to advertise a product. It might be better to call it an unmarked prototype because that is what the autograph cards were going to look like. However you want to categorize it (and humans love to put a label on everything), it's the kind of thing the Promo Card Encyclopedia would document because Todd likes to embrace cards not listed in other guides.

The card is oddball for another reason. It's a little taller than standard size at 2 1/2 x 3 5/8 still fitting in a regular top loader but peeking out above a regular sleeve.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the Wings 5-card set which promotes their "Back to the Egg" album (1979). The cards are an odd size, measuring 1 3/4 x 2 7/8 inches and feature black-and-white photos of the band members. I bought the set back in the early 2000's and was told it was slipped in with the album. Someone else told me later that was wrong, adding that it was a Wings fan club giveaway. Not long ago, I learned that it was originally inserted with the limited edition box set of the album but became more widely available through the fan club.

Back in the 2000's, this was a $20-30 set but I've seen several sets available in recent years. It goes for $4-8 now. It's interesting because it's one of the early promo card sets and represents a time just before the group broke up. "Back to the Egg" turned out to be their last studio album.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As many here know, Star Pics released a 76-card "Twin Peaks" factory set in 1991. Five chase cards were also planned and printed but were not included. They are unusual in that they show people from behind-the-scenes or otherwise connected to the show rather than being scenes or publicity shots from the show. They remained unreleased as a 5-card strip until sometime in the mid-late 90's after Star Pics had gone out of business. I think it was Marchant Cards that was selling the strips and I bought one around 20 years ago.

Maybe a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a seller unloading a number of them for a mere buck a piece and he's moved them all now. I think the going-rate was more like $10-15 before.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,