Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oddball cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, and you need an Albertosaurus or Albertella t-shirt for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Thank you for posting these Jess.
I especially enjoyed the Albertosaurus and the Albertella cards! I think I will change my Avatar to one of them.. Wink

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have an unusual card, undoubtedly the largest card in my collection. Very hard to store

It is on the 1993 Creators Universe set by Dynamic. Back of card says SG1

It is Hellshock, but it is not the regular sized card that everyone has seen. It is a HUGE movie poster sized card (made of cardboard)

Too large to scan. Not sure if anyone else has seen it. I have no idea as to how I obtained it

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't see a source for that poster card on Allender's site and it's not listed on the Creator's Universe page in "Comic Cards and Their Prices" (1994), a detailed guide to comics-related cards released up to 1994. Interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I have an unusual card, undoubtedly the largest card in my collection. Very hard to store

It is on the 1993 Creators Universe set by Dynamic. Back of card says SG1

It is Hellshock, but it is not the regular sized card that everyone has seen. It is a HUGE movie poster sized card (made of cardboard)

Too large to scan. Not sure if anyone else has seen it. I have no idea as to how I obtained it

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He lists

Hellshock Print (Poster-sized, numbered to 2500)
-- Hellshock Jae Lee

However, I am fairly certain that mine says SG1 on the back.

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Todd might not list this one in his PCE promo update because this is a set of promo stickers rather than cards so I'll note them here among the oddball cards. At the moment I understand it to be a 4-card set of unnumbered Furby stickers (Con Agra Foods/Tiger Electronics, 1999) but there might be more. They were inserted one per package of Kid Cuisine dinners and they're a little smaller, 2 1/4 x 3 3/16 inches, than standard card size. They promote the Furby toys that were popular at the time.

These stickers are distinguishable by the color of the Furby on the front. The backs offer a list of English words with the Furby language (Furbish) translation included. These stickers are also odd because they have kind of a furry front surface.

n.n. (light brown, black, and white Furby)
n.n. (dark brown, black, and white Furby)
n.n. (black and yellow Furby)
n.n. (blue and pink)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Tim McInnerny, who plays a recurring role on the TV show "Outlander," was sent special cards, designated "TM" on the back, to sign for the Outlander Season 1 trading card set (Cryptozoic, 2016). He signed and mailed them back to the company but they never arrived. They later appeared for sale on Ebay. Someone had found them at an unclaimed freight store and then put them up for sale. Cryptozoic doesn't consider this "TM" card part of the set since it was not officially released, but you know collectors, many have considered it part of the set, officially released or not.

This card has been discussed elsewhere on Card Talk but it deserves mention here as well along with a look at it. The actor included a doodle with his signature on the card blow. He also signed some of the cards without a doodle.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo (KF Holdings, 2002) you can find listed under "Meet Aaron Carter" in PCE2008. It's oddball because it's "heat activated." When you first look at the front, you see silhouettes of a person and a star but when you press your hand on the image, it changes to a view of singer Aaron Carter with his name in the star. It was a Kraft product insert.

Sadly, Aaron Carter passed away last weekend.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is an autograph card (Stricty Ink Limited, 2007/2008) for a planned trading card set showcasing the art of Walt Howarth but the project was cancelled. Only a promo, this card, and I think some sketch cards ended up getting printed. I'm not sure if both were given out but the autograph card appeared on the secondary market some time ago. It's unusual in that there's a printed example of the artist's signature on the card and then he signed under it

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can confirm sketches exist:

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what this card is. It's from the Dragon Ball (JPP/Bird Studio, 1995) set but it's not in the Allender listing nor any price guide. It's marked "G" where the number would be on the back. I put together an image of the front and back from images in an online sale (sold for $29.99) - see below. It appears to have a refractor front. The seller says it's a promo. Does anyone know if it's a promo or perhaps some rare chase card. One of the NSU pop-out price guides from 1999 lists a "special collector card" but doesn't note whether/how it's numbered.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is that one of the 3 Dragonball cards that came in the VHS tapes ?

Not sure what those 3 look like

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I haven't learned anything more about the card since the previous post.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Is that one of the 3 Dragonball cards that came in the VHS tapes ?

Not sure what those 3 look like

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another oddball card for the pile...it's a promo for the "Bernie Wrightson: Master of the Macabre" trading card set (FPG, 1993) which was inserted with an issue of "Advance" magazine. Right off, you see it's square-shaped measuring 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches (not too many cards like that). You don't see it for sale very often either.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the "Creepy KOFY Movie Time" 18-card set. "Creepy KOFY Movie Time" was a horror/monster movie show that ran late on Saturday nights in the San Francisco Bay Area from around 2013 to 2019. The fronts show the two hosts, a local DJ and his "demon" friend, plus members of a revolving cast of semi-regulars (comedians, burlesque performers) along with the show's 60's rock-inspired house band. The backs show images of movie posters from some of the movies featured on the show.

Some of the movies were pretty bad low budget/public domain flicks and the hosts usually skewered the bad plots but some of the movies were good or bad but funny like the one about the doctor and nurse investigating what turned out to be a case of a dude making cat food out of people. One of the hosts, "No-Name," the DJ, changed his look over the years, honoring Puggsly from "The Addams Family" then Mexican wrestlers before the last year of the show when he morphed into Elvis' ghost. The other guy, Balrok, never revealed his real name and was always in make-up and costume as a friendly demon.

I first saw the cards at a local collectibles show where CKMT had a table. Balrok was there with a couple of the "Cave Girls" (local burlesque performers). After telling them I was a fan of the show, I asked if the cards were free. Balrok was suddenly all business, declaring, "That's ten dollars."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo pair for the "Mobile Suit Wing Gundam" (Upper Deck, 2000) set. The card on the right is the more common version of the WG-28 promo card. It has the title in silver foil across the front (silver shows up white in a scan; you have to photograph it at an angle to capture the silver color) and was both a dealer promo and Non-Sport Update magazine insert (Vol. 11, No. 5). The card on the left has the title in gold foil and was inserted only with the "Mobile Suit Wing Gundam Operation 3" DVD and the "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Showdown in Space" VHS. The difference is rather subtle when you look at both cards together in ambient lighting.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a sticker celebrating rock radio station KOME's 20th anniversary on the air. It's actually three individual decals: one 4 x 4-inch sticker and two 2 x 2-inch ones. A few years ago, I found them for around $10, but these days, sellers are trying to get more like $15-20.

KOME, based in San Jose, California, was very popular in its heyday (late 70's through the early 90's) with stickers like this one (several variations exist) on cars, trucks, walls, windows, and notebooks all over town. The station had been sold a couple of times during its existence, but in 1998, it was sold again and the call letters were retired (now KUFX, still playing classic rock). You can still see stickers occasionally including on my brother's truck.

Edit: Normally, I wouldn't post about radio station stickers because so many stations across the country have given them out but this one also promotes a famous band. My brother also has a KOME sticker that promotes AC/DC as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are both sides of two versions of a card (Arena magazine, 1993) promoting the "Tribe" comic book series and "Arena" magazine, a publication no longer in business. The card on the bottom was inserted with Arena's issue 10. The card on top was sent out sealed in a plastic case and has a silver ink logo on the front instead of being white on the card on the bottom. The source of the top card has not been determined but it's believed to have been a bonus for dealers who purchased a certain number of copies of the magazine.

I've seen a few other sealed versions of Arena-inserted promos (Trencher, Next Men, Evil Ernie) but none of them come up for sale very often. When they do, they can be surprisingly inexpensive ($3-10) but some sellers push for more. It's one of those cases where rarity doesn't necessarily mean more valuable. Some collectors have removed the card from the case so they can store it with other cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is one unnumbered card from the 5-card Babylon 5 set (Turner broadcasting System, Inc., 1997). These cards were given out at the 1997 Dragon Con and they measure 5 x 7 inches. All five have identical backs. There was a 12-card set given out the following year at San Diego Comic-Con.

It appeared these were rising in value in the early 2000's but they peaked around $15 each. They are not often seen for sale these days. Some sellers still try to get the moon but they actually sell around $3-6 each. A few years ago, I found a few for around a buck a piece at a show.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card that belongs to a subset of oddball cards that I have called "repurposed cards." This one is the rare (1 per 4 cases) Lowell Cunningham autograph card from the "Men in Black" set (Inkworks, 1997). It comes from a time not long after official autograph cards became a big thing but before there were large subsets of them with TV/movie-connected releases.

It's an oddball, repurposed card because it's not a specially-printed card identifying it as an official autograph card. It's just the same unnumbered promo sent to dealers and inserted in NSU (Vol. 8, #3). You have to wonder if someone forgot to design and print up a special card just for the autograph and then the deadline was approaching so Cunnungham just signed a bunch of promos.

Inkworks did go an extra mile and have the cards embossed with the company name stamped on it but this one must have missed that step because it doesn't have even a faint mark to show that it went through that process. I guess it's a rare error oddball repurposed card.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another repurposed card. It's a base card from the Rockcards set (Brockum, 1991). The company wanted to give out cards exclusive to the 1991 National Sports Collectors Convention in Anaheim, California, but rather than print up special cards, Brockum just added little gold stickers with "Anaheim 1991" on them to the base cards the company already had.

I've read that a lot of autograph card collectors don't like it when car companies add signed stickers to cards and then consider those to be autograph cards rather than have the cards themselves signed. I remember Todd Jordan similarly not liking these promos as they are just base cards with stickers on them. He noted their existence in PCE2008 but didn't list the 20 known ones at the time.

In any case, oh wow, The Floyd.