Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cleaning lenticular cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning lenticular cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
I'm guessing that I'm not the only one on this board who has experienced the following problem. After a few years in plastic 9 card and larger holders, some of the lenticular card fronts have begun to develop a milky white film over them. Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it permanently?

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

This has been discussed before. I noticed a haze on a Star Wars 3Di promo. Chesspiece recommended using a dry cloth to lightly clean it (maybe one of those microfiber cloths would be good).

Jess

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....286%3Fr%3D7087061286

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I'm guessing that I'm not the only one on this board who has experienced the following problem. After a few years in plastic 9 card and larger holders, some of the lenticular card fronts have begun to develop a milky white film over them. Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it permanently?

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jess.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Didn't know that was a problem, but I have most of my lenticular cards in plastic cases. What I have noticed is that some have a tendency to "bow" back to front without the pressure of laying flat.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
How many years before you noticed this? Thik the only lenticular cards I have are from VS a couple years ago.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
It took at least 20 years for this phenomenon to develop. It could also be due to the way Skybox and Topps made their lenticular cards back then(it's mostly affecting cards from the 1990s). I think I've noticed it almost always, if not exclusively on those.
Raven, even if I had wanted to, there are sets, like the Women of Star Trek lenticular cards, where each one measures 5x7 and I've never seen plastic cases that large. On the affected standard size lenticulars, It's the first time I ask this question and already have received some good feedback. I plan on trying out Catskilleagle's recommendation. Whose the manufacturer of the lenticular cards that are bowing?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I don't know about lenticular, but the glue backing on some of my Evil Ernie Chromium Series II chase cards seeped out, making them sticky. A dab of lighter fluid cleaned them right up.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whose the manufacturer of the lenticular cards that are bowing?

I don't know that it effects to many collectors here and the card technology is more from the period of '70s - '90s. I was referring to what used to be called 3D cards and the later versions became lenticulars with changing photos. The ones I have/had were basically sports cards, many from Kellogg sets and also some made by SportsFlics, among others. You can find them still offered on eBay and can see how badly some of them curved over the years, especially those smaller than standard size.

Checking my more modern non-sport ones, Mars Attacks and Grimm look fine, but those from Inkworks Golden Compass seem to be bowing slightly in the opposite direction, front to back.

Sticky cards is another problem and that I have experienced with very high gloss cards that can become bricks in boxes. When you start talking 20 and 30 years down the line, who knows if these heavily processed cards can hold up without getting damaged or warped or unglued or discolored by other unknown agents and chemical interactions.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that a couple of my Skydisc cards have blurred and no longer show the 3d image when rotated.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
I've noticed that a couple of my Skydisc cards have blurred and no longer show the 3d image when rotated.

Yeah, that's another issue with lenticulars. I pulled 6 or 7 3D "L" cards from GoT InfleXions and every one of them is so dark, you can barely see what is rotating, mostly dragons.

They have to have that bright appearance or back light in the card or the effect is wasted. I think those RA GoT lenticulars were just badly manufactured because, if the images are blackish now, what are they going to look like in a few years? Blank cards probably.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
It took at least 20 years for this phenomenon to develop. It could also be due to the way Skybox and Topps made their lenticular cards back then(it's mostly affecting cards from the 1990s). I think I've noticed it almost always, if not exclusively on those.
Raven, even if I had wanted to, there are sets, like the Women of Star Trek lenticular cards, where each one measures 5x7 and I've never seen plastic cases that large. On the affected standard size lenticulars, It's the first time I ask this question and already have received some good feedback. I plan on trying out Catskilleagle's recommendation. Whose the manufacturer of the lenticular cards that are bowing?

On oversized cards like 5x7 I use comic bags and either cut them or fold them over.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Another card set with issues is the "Frighteners", with Michael J. Fox, also from the 1990s. The promos and chase cards had a thin foil film applied to the front and glued on top of the cardboard backing. Now the film with the image is peeling off completely on some of mine and the fronts are pure white with only the colorful writing on the back remaining. They're not error cards, but they may appear so to the unsuspecting. be warned!