Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Why don't sellers respond?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don't sellers respond?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Same happened to me about a week ago I made an offer on a lot of cards E bay notified me that time had expired and seller had not replied about three days later the item wich still had four days to run had been changed to the price of my offer but the shipping charges had doubled.Is it any use complaining to EBay
Piko

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko

.Is it any use complaining to EBay
Piko

No!......even if you are right.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
N0, eBay is too big to consider any case individually, they just make up a rule to handle the general issue and make a decision that can't be challenged by anybody. Both buyers and sellers can be unjustly hurt, but buyer protection makes it lean in the buyer's favor.

I am a little surprised by some of the comments expressed. Yeah, sellers have to put up with a lot of **** from scammers and inconsiderate people, but most buyers are not over the top complainers or fools. Some of them will bring you a lot money if you give them reasonable service.

Disrespecting your customers will drive the good ones away and only leave you with the buyers you don't want to deal with. If its that bad, get off eBay and sell off your own sites. I actually do a lot of card business that way and I have no need for buyer protection when I am transacting with reputable sellers. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Ya know, not to stir the pot, but this goes both ways. There is little contact from buyers anymore. I rarely, if ever, get messages form buyers saying they received the card or thanks or whatever. Contact is limited to hey, can you leave me feedback. Alot of the people I sell to now on ebay are total strangers.They don't want any kid of relationship. they just want to get a cheap deal. I miss alot of the more one on one stuff. I used to send a message via email when I shipped the card, but after never getting any sort of response, I sort of gave up. I feel bad about it, though.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
N0, eBay is too big to consider any case individually, they just make up a rule to handle the general issue and make a decision that can't be challenged by anybody. Both buyers and sellers can be unjustly hurt, but buyer protection makes it lean in the buyer's favor.

I am a little surprised by some of the comments expressed. Yeah, sellers have to put up with a lot of **** from scammers and inconsiderate people, but most buyers are not over the top complainers or fools. Some of them will bring you a lot money if you give them reasonable service.

Disrespecting your customers will drive the good ones away and only leave you with the buyers you don't want to deal with. If its that bad, get off eBay and sell off your own sites. I actually do a lot of card business that way and I have no need for buyer protection when I am transacting with reputable sellers. Smile

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
yes i realise that there good and bad sellers and buyers but I was under the impression that once posted a lot could not be changed until after the closing date of the auction

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
yes i realise that there good and bad sellers and buyers but I was under the impression that once posted a lot could not be changed until after the closing date of the auction

Not sure what you mean by "changed" and I have never posted as a seller, but I know auctions can be pulled as long as no one has bid. At least I think that was the rule.

Lynne, no doubt it's a two way street and its a shame that many people don't know how to be civil anymore. Not in business relationships and often not in personal relationships either. Maybe it's the internet influence on society, or just society in general, but the standard for acceptable behavior has fallen pretty low no matter what area is being discussed. Etiquette? Forget about it! Big Grin

I value the relationships I have made through buying cards because I never know when I want to do it again with a valued seller. Any reliable dealer is a valued seller that a card collector should try their best to hold on to when they find them. Ebay is not the only way. As I think you know Lynne, when I need Trek, you are the first one I call. Smile

When questioned, people tend to always go to their extreme corners based on the worst experiences they have ever had. The buyer who stiffed them, the seller from Hell, the rudest and most inconsiderate correspondence. Yes that happens, but it still is the exception and it shouldn't mean that everyone is like that.

So going back to the original question, why don't sellers respond? Maybe its because some of them have gotten fed up with other lousy customers and that is valid and is maybe the best answer. However please, also think that the next time you might be blowing off a great customer who won't return, so check their history at least before you decide its not worth your time to reply.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
You can revise listings by changing description, adding or deleting pictures and even adding a Buy It Now as far as I can determine. I'm still new at this so I may not have all my facts straight yet.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
As an (occasional at the moment, but more in past) seller, I can tell you that eBay doesn't always forward all the emails, or they get snagged by junk filters because there are so many fake eBay scams. I can't tell you then number of times that I have opened eBay to discover that I have outstanding questions (and a couple of times, even outstanding best offers!).

As far as politeness goes, I used to have a personalised receipt that I included with the item. So it had the purchase but also a note thanking the person for their business etc. The new seller tools on eBay don't let me do that, I can only print off a standard item/address notice. I also can't send the message I used to send when I posted that it had been posted and giving typical international post duration. So it probably looks like I am non-communicative, but it's actually fairly difficult.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, it's happened again... I made a reasonable Best Offer on a card and the offer just expired - with no response whatsoever from the seller. Twak

My offer was NOT low-ball but if the seller didn't like it, at least have the courtesy to counter. Roll Eyes

Too bad because if we had been able to make a deal on this card he had a few others from the set (Topps Dr. Who widevision) that I would have bought outright. Oh well, your loss pal.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well now I see why sellers dont respond to messages.
Received a message to sell one of my cards outside of ebay and replied that I dont sell outside of ebay.
I then receive a warning from ebay "Warning - Offers to sell outside of eBay".

Googled it and see that this is happening to a lot of sellers. With their accounts at risk I can fully understand them not wanting to respond to messages.
In future I wont be responding to these messages and will be very careful what I write in reply to normal messages.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neilsy:
Received a message to sell one of my cards outside of ebay and replied that I dont sell outside of ebay.

Googled it and see that this is happening to a lot of sellers. With their accounts at risk I can fully understand them not wanting to respond to messages.
In future I wont be responding to these messages and will be very careful what I write in reply to normal messages.
You should also be aware that eBay UK also have a rule that you are not allowed to invite offers from buyers for other items you might have by emailing them directly using the email address provided to you when a sale is made. Not too sure how they can enforce this but the rule is in their terms and conditions. Bascially, eBay do not like the idea that future sales may take place where they do not get to take their 10% cut of the combined sale and shipping price.

Sellers are not allowed to include an email address in any messages they might send in response to a potential buyer either. There are ways to 'get around' this but the rule is there and it does get picked up if you just include an email.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neilsy:

Only someone who doesn't know anything would try to circumvent eBay by leaving a message like that on eBay itself. I am speaking of the buyer now, not the seller. Sellers know better. Big Grin

The kind of questions that sellers should respond to doesn't include the ones that would compromise their own eBay account status for the benefit of someone looking for a break, especially when its done over a monitored message system. Wink

posted Hide Post
Ebay have tightened up their bots in the last few months, so that even innocent messages are receiving flags. So my message of "I DONT sell outside of ebay" gets flagged for selling outside of ebay.
As over half the messages I get are about that in future I wont be responding to those questions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Neilsy,

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post