Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    New Supermarket Release
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Supermarket Release
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
A while back I posted that our local supermarket chain (Countdown) had met with a hugely successful response to a Dreamworks movie card set.
Well never let a chance go by they have come back with a new set of animal cards.

There are 108 cards in the set in 12 cards per theme (loudest, fastest, most dangerous etc.)
An album is also available.
The middle row of the scan below shows the back of the cards which have a bar code. If you swipe the card across a special reader (only available from Countdown at $8.50 each!!) the card makes the sound of that animal. Since a couple of the cards are fish this requires a sizable stretch of the imagination. However, the concept works quite well.
There is also an activity album (pictured) (only available from Countdown @ $5.00)and you get four cards for every $20 you spend.
The local auction site TradeMe has already gone ballistic with hundreds of offers to buy & sell.
You have got to believe that this is all good for card collecting generally and kids in particular.
Now how does Topps cash in on this??

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Woolies (Woolworths) here in Australia have had some of the same promotions I think, the weird green W next to Countdown on the folder is their logo.

As far as I can remember, the first lot of cards we had here were Aussie Animals, there was a green edition, then a red edition like six months later. Then they had a set for Baby Animals, the Dreamworks Lenticulars, Jamie Oliver cooking stickers and the Super Animals.

Now they have just announced a new line of Disney Pixar Dominos, called Domino Stars. They look kind of cute so I'll pick some of them up next time I go shopping.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we don't have countdown stores here in the uk and woollies went bust here in the uk several years ago ?

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It's great that your stores are doing cards like this. In the UK we sometimes have stores doing cards and also pocket money friendly packs.
The market for collecting cards is there and is massive given the right product and the right price.

Unfortunatly the hobby instead of tapping into this seems to be obsessed with just making cards more and more expensive and so driving people away.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Morrisons here in the UK issued similar shaped cards on Disney themes a while back.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post