Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    My top 3 card companies ever and their best licence/release
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My top 3 card companies ever and their best licence/release
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I like your old school thinking, Kurt! Thumb Up

Posts: 5790 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
If Cryptozoic can continue to buy up new and exciting licenses and produce quality sets, they may just jump to my number one spot in the coming year.

I think RA needs to up their game and aquire some new licenses and actually produce sets for them (what happened to Merlin?).

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:
Call me old school, but I think the following releases really brought a lot of new collectors into the hobby when they first came out...

Gum, Inc: Horrors of War
Topps: Mars Attacks
Topps: Wacky Packs

For my part, Topps Dinosaurs Attack was another classic that had a big impact on me, but it didn't catch on like the other three mentioned above did.

I was going to post yesterday that I noticed a high majority of the card companies and the exact set next to them seemed to be newer card releases (maybe the last 10 years or less).

Nice classic choices. Thumb Up

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goldenavenger:
quote:
Originally posted by monsterwax:
Call me old school, but I think the following releases really brought a lot of new collectors into the hobby when they first came out...

Gum, Inc: Horrors of War
Topps: Mars Attacks
Topps: Wacky Packs

For my part, Topps Dinosaurs Attack was another classic that had a big impact on me, but it didn't catch on like the other three mentioned above did.

I was going to post yesterday that I noticed a high majority of the card companies and the exact set next to them seemed to be newer card releases (maybe the last 10 years or less).

Nice classic choices. Thumb Up

Remember that not everybody has been collecting for years so the older sets aren't relevant. It is perhaps good that there are a lot of people "new" to collecting

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
If Cryptozoic can continue to buy up new and exciting licenses and produce quality sets, they may just jump to my number one spot in the coming year.

I think RA needs to up their game and aquire some new licenses and actually produce sets for them (what happened to Merlin?).

Of course the down side is how much you pay and how much you make from a license. inkworks gambled on a few films and lost out! I do agree that Merlin would be nice

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
It is really hard to come up with only three. As mentioned earlier it seems like a lot of the new releases, I guess since they are fresh in our minds.

Here are my choices:

Fleer - 1995 Marvel Masterpieces and Marvel Metal. I couldn't figure out which one to put so I listed them both. Fleer/Skybox had such great sets in the 90's. A little overproduced but great.

Topps - Garbage Pail Kids

Rittenhouse - DC Legacy. Not enough DC sets and this is a nice one. Still haven't had a chance to look at the DC New 52 so it may change.

I also want to add Cryptozoic as an up and comer. They have brought so much in such a small amount of time. Look at how many new collectors have been brought to the hobby because of them and the products they have produced.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I recently compared the quality of the images on card sets and came to the conclusion that 'Comic Images' was by far the highest quality. Look at the 'Van Helsing' set if you don't belive me.

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post