Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    SW Galaxy Millenium Falcon Factory Set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SW Galaxy Millenium Falcon Factory Set
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
There were 10,000 of these sets made in 1993. However, I recently came across a "Publisher's Proof Set" of which apparently only 500 were issued. I was told that these Proof Sets are different from the mass produced ones and were not sold, but rather given away to certain dealers as a reward for their loyalty to Topps products. Does anyone know if that is true? How were they distributed? What are the differences between the regular Factory Sets and the Proof Sets, if any?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
In Star Wars Galaxy Magazine, Winter 1997 issue, Steve Sansweet wrote a Topps trading card article, complete with a definitive SW checklist.
He writes that the Millenium Falcon Publisher's Proof set is the same as the Factory set, except for the proof sticker on the box, and is limited to 500 sets.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you for responding.

Here's what I was told about the Proof Set:

" The 140-card base set is slightly different, boasting foil hints. The Etched Foil cards are replaced by six similar Holofoil cards." "
I suppose the only way to really tell, not that I doubt Sansweet, would be to personally compare the 2 and look for any slight nuances that may not be apparent at a cursory glance.
I still don't know how the Proof sets were distributed. Anyone?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Promoking,

Recalling those distant days of the 1990's, I was told that the chase cards in the factory set were different from the ones you could get in packs. Regarding the proof sets, I was told that the cards were the same as in the regular factory set so the sticker on the outside was the only distinguishing feature. If Topps had made the cards distinct (even with just "proof" in tiny letters on all the cards in the proof set), it would be more difficult to find a proof set now.

I don't know how they were distributed but will ask around.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Thank you for responding.

Here's what I was told about the Proof Set:

" The 140-card base set is slightly different, boasting foil hints. The Etched Foil cards are replaced by six similar Holofoil cards." "
I suppose the only way to really tell, not that I doubt Sansweet, would be to personally compare the 2 and look for any slight nuances that may not be apparent at a cursory glance.
I still don't know how the Proof sets were distributed. Anyone?

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding the proof sets, I was told that the cards were the same as in the regular factory set so the sticker on the outside was the only distinguishing feature. If Topps had made the cards distinct (even with just "proof" in tiny letters on all the cards in the proof set), it would be more difficult to find a proof set now.

This is TOPPS we are talking about. I very much doubt that, especially in 1993 at the height of the non sports craze, they would just add a sticker and call it " Publisher's Proof Special Edition Set limited to 500   ", without their being some nuance between the 2 sets. That's not their style!! I still believe my source that there exist subtle differences.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

posted Hide Post
I have one of the proof sets for SWG- Falcon Factory Set along with a letter from TOPPS congratulating me for the 1st Prize for the BEST PROMOTIONAL ACTIVITY for the Star Wars Galaxy Retailer Contest.
The set is the same except for the sticker (as other have noted); however, the proof set DID NOT come with an autograph like the retail set.
There are NO APPARENT difference in the cards.

Daniel W. Skowronski
dskow19@earthlink.net

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 64 | Location: Norton Ohio 44203 | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you Daleks!
Just a couple of quick questions.
So you actually compared the contents of BOTH FACTORY sets to each other from what I understand? If so, I will no longer beat a dead horse. I just wasn't sure from your response whether you compared your prize to a non factory issued set of the SW Millennium or only to one of the 10,000 Factory sets. Also, The sealed Publisher's Proof set I have, says that it contains an autographed card by the artist. Strange that yours didn't come with one. Did your set say it did? Ever inquire as to why it wasn't included?
Lastly, do you know how the other 499 sets were distributed?