Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    3-D Holographic Cards?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3-D Holographic Cards?
 Login/Join

posted
I have five 3-D cards. 3 of 4 of them are from Marvel Universe 1994 (Fleer/1994) and the other 2 are from Batman 1995 Fleer, which I think are just labled as holograms. I love how the 3-D cards looks. My ? is was Fleer the only card company to make 3-D cards or did any other companies make 3-D cards. I only ask this ? because I don't see them made any more. Is it because of how much they cost to make or were they not populer enough.

Posts: 58 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
There have been others, Skybox did "skydiscs" for Batman, Superman, and Vertigo, and it was either Fleer or Skybox who did these for Voyager, a hologram of the hologram doctor. X-Men 2 from Skybox had a Wolverine hologram, and there was also a Godzilla set that had 4 3-D holograms that were quite nice. I don't recall any such cards being issued recently, they were nice, it would be fun to see these again.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 58 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
There's also a complete set of Batman hologram cards and of Superman hologram cards (both issued in 1995).

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
More recently 3-D type lenticular cards have been used in the World of Harry Potter 3-D set and as inserts in The Golden Compass set.

I don't know how difficult it is or how much more expensive is it to manufacture these cards. They look very nice sometimes. Other times the effect doesn't show up well at all, either because the process wasn't done right or the wrong image was chosen.

I think that crisp looking 3-D cards could be used well as inserts, but not as base cards. Many of the Harry Potter cards were too dark and unattractive. I wouldn't buy any product just to get holograms.

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as 3d lenticulars, of course, there are the Topps 3d Star Wars sets:

The excellent New Hope 3di
Not as good Phantom Menace 3d set
and the recent Empire Strikes Back 3di set...

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Lenticulars (or 'motion' cards) are fairly common in Rittenhouse sets of about 4 years ago. They were one of the chase sets in the DC Legacy and Batman Archives, some of the later Stargate SG-1 sets, and at least the Star Trek Women in Motion and Star Trek Movies in Motion.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post