Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recycled artwork!!
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
I just wanted to know if I was the only person out there who really hates this. I'm talking specifically about the last few Marvel comic sets that have been put out by Upper Deck and others. For this reason I pretty much refuse to get any of these new sets, I just don't get it. I'm sure its cheaper for the companies but hey, they were able to produce older sets with all original artwork. Maybe I'm in the minority here as I realize a lot of people collect sketch/auto/costume cards, but this just really bothers me.

Posts: 6 | Location: NC | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If by recycled artwork you mean using art from one card release in another card release, that's really uncalled for. If you're bringing in art from other items, depending on the context of the set, that's understandable. Like the Movie Posters sets being put out - it's much easier and more accessible for collectors to have a bunch of 3.5x2.5 cardboard copies of the posters. Or reproducing some classic comic book art frames or covers onto cardboard, that would seem fine to me. And while I'm not really into comic/art sets (or comic books), I wouldn't mind having one of those cards with the piece of original comic book in it, if the chosen frame was right.

Again, it depends on the context of the set, but in a historical-context or best-of (subject, company, artist) set pulling from other media is fine. I have a problem with repeating artwork from previous card sets though, it would be like .. well, it would be like Star Wars Special Edition being exactly the same as the original, and them telling us it's an all-new experience. (Heck, the SE was a glorified directors cut.) Anyway, my point is made.

Posts: 11 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The Marvel Masterpieces sets of the 1990s, five different in all, were comprised of all new art commissioned especially for the card series. There were no sketch or autograph cards in those days, so the base cards really were the thing, and the sets, particularly the final two remain popular with collectors to this day.

By the time the line was revived by Upper Deck in 2007, there was no doubt the wildly popular original art sketch cards would be a key addition to the new series. Since Upper Deck had a huge amount of commissioned art from their then current "Marvel Vs." card game, it naturally followed they could simply re-use that art for the base set, saving both the time and expense of coming up with all-new art.

The base sets in these new series all proved to be merely afterthoughts. Not only was none of the art newly created for the base cards, but certain illustrations were used repeatedly among the three sets Upper Deck ultimately released. In some cases, the artists were miscredited, and incredibly, in Upper Deck Marvel Masterpieces Series II, no less than four of the depicted characters were misnamed on their cards.

Even so, these cards were of Upper Deck's usual high quality and what's more, if you'd not been aware of the "Vs." card game or the various other sources the base card art was culled from, the set was indeed "all-new" to you. There were also some great sketch cards from many excellent artists spread out among the three sets. I just wish they hadn't called this new venture "Marvel Masterpieces". Given the lasting legacy of the five all-new art sets previously issued under that banner, it seems reasonable that any additional releases so named should consist only of art created for the cards themselves, as had their often glourious predecessors.

On the other hand, when Topps restarted the Star Wars Galaxy line, also a couple of years ago, they really did honor the traditions begun by the original three series from the mid 1990's. While wisely giving in to the modern demand for sketch cards, they still managed to make the new base sets (three and counting) in the exact style of the original three series, admittedly a bit easier to do since the original sets, like the new ones, featured a mixture of new and previously seen art (the published art usually having been created for promotional or merchandising purposes).

The modern Star Wars Galsxy card sets would be great even without the sketch cards.

Sadly, the modern Marvel sets from Upper Deck and even those from the Rittenhouse Archives company (whose products I am a big fan of) exist only because of the sketch cards. The base cards, at this point, really serve as a sketch card delivery system. As a result of that, the manufacturers of these modern sets are as likely to spend the money to commission new art for the base cards as they are to issue the cards themselves in 24k gold foil wrappers.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not all that familiar with comic images being recycled, but card companies do it with sports products all the time. I collect Will Clark, a baseball player who retired in 2001. He's since had many cards in various releases, and obviously since he's retired there will be no new action shots to use, but they recycle the same images year after year. There are TONS of images available to purchase rights to. Heck, I see original slides and negatives from defunct companies show up on Ebay all the time. Why don't they just purchase some of these if they've already used up their libraries? Would it really be that difficult to shell out a couple bucks to get a new picture? Yeesh!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I'm not all that familiar with comic images being recycled, but card companies do it with sports products all the time. I collect Will Clark, a baseball player who retired in 2001. He's since had many cards in various releases, and obviously since he's retired there will be no new action shots to use, but they recycle the same images year after year. There are TONS of images available to purchase rights to. Heck, I see original slides and negatives from defunct companies show up on Ebay all the time. Why don't they just purchase some of these if they've already used up their libraries? Would it really be that difficult to shell out a couple bucks to get a new picture? Yeesh!

The problem isn't so much not being willing to shell out the money. They are paying for the images they use now. Part of the problem is tracking down the individual license holders of all these other images you see. It can be very time consuming and risky. Most of the card companies go through the same large sources like Getty Images and Colbis or stick to images they already own the right to, especially for retired players, because it's easier and safer for them.

Part of the problem with the comic art is the size of the production runs. The numbers on those early sets were huge compared to today's sets. Paying for first time publication rights on original art can be very expensive and the larger print runs helped cover that cost. Buying the rights for previously published art is usually a lot less expensive.

I don't know how they manage to do it on the Star Wars Galaxy sets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chrisahend,

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

By the time the line was revived by Upper Deck in 2007, there was no doubt the wildly popular original art sketch cards would be a key addition to the new series. Since Upper Deck had a huge amount of commissioned art from their then current "Marvel Vs." card game, it naturally followed they could simply re-use that art for the base set, saving both the time and expense of coming up with all-new art.

The base sets in these new series all proved to be merely afterthoughts. Not only was none of the art newly created for the base cards, but certain illustrations were used repeatedly among the three sets Upper Deck ultimately released. In some cases, the artists were miscredited, and incredibly, in Upper Deck Marvel Masterpieces Series II, no less than four of the depicted characters were misnamed on their cards.

I actually have no problem with them reusing the art from the gaming cards, there's really not much overlap between gamers and nonsport collectors so only Marvel collectors would have the artwork already.

I did have a big problem, however, with the slap dash construction like the misnaming of characters.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface: Sadly, the modern Marvel sets from Upper Deck and even those from the Rittenhouse Archives company (whose products I am a big fan of) exist only because of the sketch cards. The base cards, at this point, really serve as a sketch card delivery system. As a result of that, the manufacturers of these modern sets are as likely to spend the money to commission new art for the base cards as they are to issue the cards themselves in 24k gold foil wrappers.

Yes, I don't think the recent "Masterpieces" sets are anywhere on the same level as the old sets. Not even close to the Flair sets either in my opinion.

Posts: 6 | Location: NC | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Put me down for not liking recycled art. I don't mind it if it's once in a long while and it was used from a gaming set, but not set after set using the same artwork I've seen in other area's Marvel's into.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I said it in others topics the manufacturers are only interesting in the sketch cards and not anymore in the base sets.

The "new" Marvel Masterpieces are trash killing the good name from that classic series.

Rittenhouse has become worst than Comic Images for the base sets because RH recycle artwork from comic books and in the back of the cards is nothing to read. Many of the Archives series are a joke. Until now only the Fantastic Four Archives base set I consider it a good product because it has the classic style of a picture with a background text explication.

Another bad thing are the Inserts because is more recycle artwork.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see there are others who feel as I do about the subject! I'm just happy there are still so many older Marvel sets I have left to collect!

Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Alex Johnson, I will try to post some of recycle artwork cards I have from RA and UD from different Marvel series.

PD
I bought the last magazine from NSU. It is so sad to see that some people try to defend big companies and tell to everybody is that you buy cards or their products you don't have the right to said your opinion about it. Twak

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Late for work, so I haven't read what everyone said.

But off the top of my head, for me, I don't like it. But if that's all we get for Marvel cards, I'm thankful for that.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
The best thing is giving an opinion with a proof and not just write something to make a company happy. The "negativity" will not kill the hobby. This can kill the hobby.

Mystique Mot Wanted Card from Marvel Heroes and Villains (above) and Mystique common base card from Marvel Divas.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Kane1, you're right and that's not the only one between those 2 sets either.

However, we don't know whether Marvel gives RA an option over what images to use, or gives them the art the MUST use.

I hope you're opening lots of Kree-Skrull War from UD. It's the first set in recent memory where all the art is just for that set. But, you're going to find that there are a lot less 'extras' for the price too. Sketches are 1 per case, no autographs and only 2 basic chase levels beyond the story subsets. But, the price is exactly the same at Thor, Captain America, and Marvel Beginnings. Something has to give...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Scifi Cards, I know it. I have another good example of Recycled Artwork. I noted it today when I was looking my X-Men Fleer 1996 Wolverine.

As a Non-sport collector of comic based cards. The situation is becoming intolerant for me. Right now the last set based on comics that I'm going to buy will be the Marvel Divas because already buy some packs.

The movies adaptations maybe for later, but not from RA after I bought X-Men Origins Wolverine. I got a big deception.

I will never forget Marvel "Wannabe" Masterpieces from UD. They recycle artwork to make more sets. I miss the 1rst set from UD, but isn't worth the money or space in my room to get it.

In my opinion right now. Marvel or DC don't care about trading cards. They are just more worry to sale the Copyrights for products. I really miss the '90s.

Madame Hydra card in 1996 Fleer Ultra X-Men: Wolverine and Marvel Heroes vs. Villains Most Wanted

Picture of prenz
posted Hide Post
Disturbing posts, kane1 - and sad to see, really...

Not sure I can put more words on this, just a slow shake of the head...

Posts: 162 | Location: Montreal Canada | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post