Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Collecting card binder/albums
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collecting card binder/albums
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
Upper Deck actually made a Disney Treasures binder as an exclusive that was only available at a show in the UK back when the first series of Disney Treasures was released. A friend of mine was at the show and picked it up for me. Only 200 were made and I saw one on eBay go for $168.00 about 2 years ago. I will try to post a picture later today.

That's great to know, but I still think even $20 is too much for a binder, unless there's something extra in it, so I don't see one of those official Disney binders in my future, but please do post the picture of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see it, and it's also valuable to the thread because at only 200 made, it has to be one of the most limited binders, which was asked about.

I keep my Disney Treasures cards in a couple of plain UltraPro binders, but with these really cool bumper stickers on their spines. I found the bumper stickers at Comic-Con about 5 years ago and I have no idea who made them, what for, or what they mean, but what they have is the word "Disappointed" on them, but in Walt Disney's famous cursive signature letters, which are instantly recognizable to pop cultsters (patent pending) like me.

The bumper stickers with that negative sentiment (sort of the guerilla art like Banksy does) are in this case, ironically placed (double irony!) on the binders because I'm a big fan of Disney Treasure cards and Disney in general, and was very pleased with all the sets, and wish there were more.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The few I'm looking for right now are not the easiest to locate. Though not expensive, the few people that sell them are asking high prices. Another one I'm looking for is from Dark Horse comics: Ghost. So far I have not seen one yet.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
GHOST is a Comic Images binder from 1997, and while they were a huge player in the 1990's where cards and albums were concerned, they were really winding things down by then (just like Fleer/Skybox), so it's pretty likely the print runs for binders were down quite a bit by 1997, and certainly when compared to those issued during the peak years for card binders, which I would say were 1992-1994. Anyway, that's likely why you don't see the Ghost one too often. Good luck, though!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post

Here is the Upper Deck Disney Treasures binder

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post

This is the inside. Notice the P4 promo in a slip holder that is part of the cover of the binder.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post

This is another Disney binder. It was the only Disney licensed 3 ring binder available at the parks and Disney stores. They came with a pack of the signature cards and 6 Disney stamped pages.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie, why is the UFO binder hard to find ? That is by Cards, Inc., right ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've never searched for one, but is there a binder for UD Avengers Assemble?

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Probably the ugliest binder I've seen, and have. The James Bond one that Eclipse did for their 1993 card sets. They are maroon with the James Bond 007 logo on them. Not very impressive !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't this one getting up there in price?

At least I have it to house the whole set way back then.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures of the Disney binders, Beamer.

Nice to see what the Walt Disney cut signature. I do wonder if that's the final design of it, though, as the other cards shown on the binder are prototypes. The Alice in Wonderland film frame card uses the design of the Pinochhio film card promo, but the Alice film card issued in the packs is of the regular design, as was the Pinochhio. It's a nice touch, too, that pocket for the Hook promo card.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

Yes it is the Cards Inc binder. There were only 200 of these binders made and they dissapeared into peoples collections so fast you hardly had time to blink.
I have seen this binder at shows at over £300. The odd one appears on ebay at a cheaper price but not very often.
Even the cards for this set have gone up in price. Eek

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

Yes it is the Cards Inc binder. There were only 200 of these binders made and they dissapeared into peoples collections so fast you hardly had time to blink.
I have seen this binder at shows at over £300. The odd one appears on ebay at a cheaper price but not very often.
Even the cards for this set have gone up in price. Eek

Initially these binders were easy to obtain. not long after the release a local Card Shop bought about 30 binders from Cards Inc at a VERY cheap price and was selling them at £15 - £20. Needless to say when he found out how they increased in value he wished he'd held on to them.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What is UFO? Is it a British TV show?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
What is UFO? Is it a British TV show?

Yes. From the early 70's.
UFO

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you, that one must've not aired too much in the USA, as I don't ever remember seeing it on TV in the 70's. But I can see why it's popular coming from the great Gerry Anderson. Congrats to those who got the UFO binder.

posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have any advice on how to preserve/clean the older vinyl binders such as the Fleer ones that I own? I just want to keep them in good shape as long as I can!

Posts: 10 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: March 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Douse them in a a mixture of kerosene and lye, and condition will no longer be an issue!

But seriously, like books and comics, its a good idea to keep them out of direct sunlight, and in a dry, cool environment. Wipe the surfaces down with a soft cloth, and try to refrain from constantly opening and closing the "D" ring as those can wear out after a while. Also, with padded binders, don't put anything odd shaped right next to them very snugly, at least, as the impressions made in them can be lasting.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I picked up a THE CREATORS UNIVERSE binder today. Anyone know about this one, how scarce or not scarce?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a regular version and a signed version of that binder with the autographs of all the creators whose work is shown on the cover. That binder art is removable from this binder as the top of the plastic is not sealed like it is on most binders, making this one unusual in that way. You may have to look closely to see if you have the signed version since the artists all signed in black marker so it can be a little hard to see the autographs.

One of the signatures is from the legendary Gil Kane. Fan favorite Walt Simonson also signed it, and I believe Dan Brereton, and at least 3 others, all of whom had cards in the set.