Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ebay's Global Shipping Programme Auto Opt in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebay's Global Shipping Programme Auto Opt in
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Don't know whether this is just UK or if it affects sellers in other countries but I received an e-mail from Ebay welcoming me to GSP Confused . Apparently out of the goodness of their hearts they had opted me into GSP Mad . I immediately went to the site and opted out again but just wanted to warn people in case they had missed the message .

When opting back out I was asked why I did not want their wonderful system and I pointed out that under GSP they would charge the buyer £24.99 for international tracked postage on a single card while I could go down the post office and send it myself fully tracked and insured for £8.75 . This " might " Roll Eyes make a difference as to whether a buyer bought the card .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Always remember...We are here to help you. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I also have to opt out of MAKE AN OFFER every time E-Bay relists one of my auctions, even though I never told them to re-list the auction in the first place. I haven't quite figured out how to get out of that re-listing option yet, but so far no harm done since I've caught it every time except once, when I turned down a way too low offer.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I also have to opt out of MAKE AN OFFER every time E-Bay relists one of my auctions, even though I never told them to re-list the auction in the first place. I haven't quite figured out how to get out of that re-listing option yet, but so far no harm done since I've caught it every time except once, when I turned down a way too low offer.

Yes , that auto re-list always annoys me as there is no way to opt out . Because I only list when I get a discount fees offer I have to make a note to remember to end the auction a day before it is due to end and auto re-list otherwise inevitably as soon as it re-lists someone buys and I pay full fees Frown .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Don't know whether this is just UK or if it affects sellers in other countries but I received an e-mail from Ebay welcoming me to GSP Confused . Apparently out of the goodness of their hearts they had opted me into GSP Mad . I immediately went to the site and opted out again but just wanted to warn people in case they had missed the message .

When opting back out I was asked why I did not want their wonderful system and I pointed out that under GSP they would charge the buyer £24.99 for international tracked postage on a single card while I could go down the post office and send it myself fully tracked and insured for £8.75 . This " might " Roll Eyes make a difference as to whether a buyer bought the card .
I had the same message and also opted out. However, I have just come across the following message in my eBay in-box:

"From 1 July, and in line with new legislation, eBay will collect VAT on all goods which are sold through eBay and shipped to buyers in the European Union (EU) with a consignment value up to EUR150. eBay will collect VAT on all sales to private individuals, regardless of seller status. eBay will declare the VAT collected under our Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number.

As EU customs need to identify if VAT has already been paid for EU imports, eBay’s IOSS number needs to be shared electronically with carriers. In cases where eBay has collected VAT and the goods are shipped from the UK, you are responsible for sharing eBay’s IOSS number with your carrier. Failure to share eBay’s IOSS will lead to buyers paying VAT again on delivery. Note that the Post Office systems do not accept a manually provided IOSS number.

If you continue sending parcels through the Post Office without pre-purchasing labels through Click & Drop or the other alternatives set out below, your buyers may have to pay VAT again on delivery.

To simplify the process, we will enrol you into the Global Shipping Programme (GSP) by 1 July. You will receive an email once we have successfully opted you in with further details and a link to opt-out should you wish to do so. GSP will ensure that the IOSS is correctly transmitted and that all customs charges/processes/international delivery is taken care of. All you have to do after a sale transaction is post your parcel to the UK Shipping Centre. Learn more here.

If you wish to continue to post packages to Europe yourself using the Royal Mail or an express carrier service, the alternative postage methods available to you, where you can electronically declare eBay IOSS to your carrier are:

eBay labels Packlink. Read more here.

Royal Mail Click & Drop account linked to eBay account. Labels can be dropped off at the Post Office once printed. Read more here.

Buy postage online with a carrier (Hermes/Parcel2Go/DPD/UPS) and electronically declare eBay’s IOSS number."

As I only ever buy postage at the Post Office when I post out my packages, it looks like any future buyers in Europe will be seeing an additional fee being added to their bills.

Would you believe I really, really hate eBay !! Mad

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
That relist feature was introduced a couple of years ago and there is no way to opt out of it. Like Triple-Frog, I used to wait for a discount event to relist my items but that is why eBay introduced this new policy. They spotted they were losing fees, so made changes. Unless you manually cancel/close listings before their end date, they are automatically relisted straight away Mad

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I had the EU VAT thing in my message inbox. They're making it sound like it requires open heart surgery to add a code number to a postage label for proof of paid VAT...even though they write further down that you can add it if using click and drop, or Hermes online etc. Which is no more difficult than adding a voucher code.
I don't yet use click and drop, but it looks simple enough. But NO WAY will I be a part of the GSP!!! Twak

On another note, I might not sell much further than the EU in future. The international fees they add on to the final listing fees outside the EU are a bit gutting, regardless if it's a special sales weekend or not. It's almost like ebay doesn't want people to list international at all. Roll Eyes Even if you use GSP the fees to non UK/EU buyers is much higher on top of any set fee. 2.16% extra for USA/Canada, 2.4% elsewhere, but only 0.6% to the EU.
Ebay's payment management does make things cheaper than using Paypal, if a bit slower to get the payments cleared, but they get it back somehow with all these little fiddles. Roll Eyes

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Selling on eBay is sure getting to be an even bigger headache these days.

I really can't be arsed to try and even get my head around the above info.

I'm 50/50 on the GSP thing.

I'm no fan but I did use it on all international sales a couple years back... didn't stop an Austrailian collector hoovering up LOADS of cards I had listed, on separate occasions, so he had to pay multiple shipping fees.
Buyer opened an item not received case for one package and because I had confirmation of the Special Delivery having been received at the UK shipping centre, there was no argument over it being their responsibility and I didn't lose £600. I imagine had a mishap occurred overseas then I'd have had a harder time getting to the bottom of it.
That said, I have NEVER (touch wood) had an international package go missing prior to that. And, as it happens, I found the missing cards being sold on eBay again nearly a year later through a bulk lost mail seller. I thought something nafarious had occured but the seller clearly didn't have a clue what the items were and undersold them. I think my story is likely collateral damage of a shipping centre making a mishap due to likely low-paid disinterested staff who handle thousands upon thousands of packages.

I also see few international sellers willing to cut a break to UK buyers so I feel a little less inclined to take the moral high ground taking extra time to make my shipping options super cheap.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I have started selling on eBay again and absolutely hate it. First you have to use their 'better payments' method. Paypal has been perfectly fine but now I have to give eBay access to my bank account so they can deposit because and once I had done so it seems I automatically gave them the ability to debit as well.

And now they are opting us all in to the truly awful GSP, even if we opt out I suspect it will get reactivated every so often. I am going to put messages in all my listings saying that I don't use GSP and if the listing has GSP included to contact me for a real shipping price.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
because of this system, many sellers risk losing sales

Posts: 91 | Location: Belgium | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
As a buyer I tend to just scroll on by GSP sales. Postage is expensive enough these days, but even if caught for customs it's cheaper than most of the GSP rip-off add-on charges. I'll take my chances with customs and it's surprising how much does get through with no customs charge at all, even if the value has been declared.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Depends on whether you're individual cards or boxes.
I've bought footy boxes from the US recently and it hasn't been too bad.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just got a box from US declared value $200 - delivered no extra charges which I expected Smile

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had several items ranging from $50 to $250 arrive this year with no hold up for customs charges. I think there is an assumption being made that VAT is being collected at point of sale. I have had this a a couple of times but not in every case.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
Depends on whether you're individual cards or boxes.
I've bought footy boxes from the US recently and it hasn't been too bad.

Buying individual cards is mad! a $2 card costs 10 times as much in postage and taxes with GSP which leaves me out of the Panini PL cards. Normal sellers

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gmmk1964:
I have had several items ranging from $50 to $250 arrive this year with no hold up for customs charges. I think there is an assumption being made that VAT is being collected at point of sale. I have had this a a couple of times but not in every case.

I think that is probably the case

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the result of the word in the title Global with isation added
As E Bay are a global company no matter what you say
They just initiate rules and systems and without thought give you a couple of months to join it and if you dont in the end compulsory enter you into the plan wether you want to or not.
It will not surprise me that in the future everyone will have to ship through their G S P
To make it cheaper and safer for the seller. And the buyer will have suck up all other additional charges no matter what they are,
They are a greedy mercenary money grabbing company and I hate them
And will only continue down this road.
They do not care about the Card fraternity we are only a drop in the bucket compared to all their other enterprises
My Rant for the day

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:

They are a greedy mercenary money grabbing company and I hate them

Right there with you!!!!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
That global shipping was already so expensive when I was collecting dolls, a nightmare.

For cards it's even crazier. A $5 promo card, from Us to France $2-3 ship.
With global shipping $37 shipping Twak

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post