Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Great to see new stuff from Rittenhouse!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great to see new stuff from Rittenhouse!!!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted
I hit a button in my bookmarks by mistake and was taken to the Rittenhouse website, where I was very happy to see some new sets posted.

Women of Star Trek 50th Anniversary
American Gods
Game of Thrones : Valyrian Steel

I am glad to see some new sets from my favorite card maker.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I think they might have been sending a lot of effort doing baseball cards. But I guess Honus Bonus isn't really Rittenhouse though ... just the same owner.

http://www.honusbonus.com/checklist-sketch.cfm

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what I make of American Gods yet. I don't know the source material and I don't find it exciting just... weirdly compelling. It's visuals would make fantastic trading cards for certain, though!

Intrigued with Valyrian Steel but collecting any subset of their season sets is such a mammoth task that I don't think I'll go in for something extra.

I'm surprised Rittenhouse haven't announced a Westworld set. I thought that one would have been right up their alley. They've worked with HBO on True Blood and Game of Thrones; they've had four stars sign for them in the past; and it has that clinical minimalist aesthetic that Rittenhouse sort of goes in for at times - with full bleed autographs, at least. I'm guessing costumes would be fairly plentiful, since they seem to get damaged every episode. Hoping to see a set one day.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
American Gods looks to be extremely cultish and graphic.

Many of the cable shows, and even some of the new network shows, seem to be catering to those who want to watch objectionable content carried as far as it can go. Not only is that a minority audience, but they are splitting up the minority audience.

At the very same time they are also losing their edge by having too many shows pushing the stuff that is supposed to be taboo. Copy anything too much and it becomes normal, but these audiences only watch because they want unique, not normal entertainment.

I too am happy RA is getting new titles, but that shouldn't make them desperate for anything that sounds provocative.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I don't know about "American Gods" being cultish when it's based on a highly regarded New York Times bestselling novel by one of the finest writers of fantasy fiction to emerge within the past 30 years. Is "Game of Thrones" also cultish? It has the same basic pedigree.

So far, it's been pretty faithful to the text so I don't think Starz is going out of their way to create "questionable content" as much as attempting to faithfully adapt the property they chose to adapt. And as for those who object to content, I'm very glad they're being kept busy, but whoever doesn't like it simply shouldn't watch it, and move along.

This may be the Golden Age of Strangeness on television, "Legion", "Fargo", "Mr. Robot", "Leftovers", "Stranger Things", all are pushing the envelope, and the weirdo grand-daddy of them all, "Twin Peaks" is back, three weeks from today. Prepare for more objectionable content.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I don't know about "American Gods" being cultish when it's based on a highly regarded New York Times bestselling novel by one of the finest writers of fantasy fiction to emerge within the past 30 years. Is "Game of Thrones" also cultish? It has the same basic pedigree.

So far, it's been pretty faithful to the text so I don't think Starz is going out of their way to create "questionable content" as much as attempting to faithfully adapt the property they chose to adapt. And as for those who object to content, I'm very glad they're being kept busy, but whoever doesn't like it simply shouldn't watch it, and move along.

This may be the Golden Age of Strangeness on television, "Legion", "Fargo", "Mr. Robot", "Leftovers", "Stranger Things", all are pushing the envelope, and the weirdo grand-daddy of them all, "Twin Peaks" is back, three weeks from today. Prepare for more objectionable content.

Well you are a lot more well read than I am. That why I watch so much TV. Big Grin

I did not read the source material of American Gods. I read a couple of recent articles on the basic plot, if you can describe the plot in a short review. and I have seen snippets of it. I will not be watching the show, not because of objectionable content, but because it seems like a bunch of other shows that push the strangeness factor, as you acknowledge. Call me silly, but I would rather have a good, solid story that makes sense.

Of all the shows you named the only one I watch religiously is Game of Thrones. That is certainly weird and has objectionable content too, but it is a darn good human story. And no, I didn't read the books either and have no interest in doing so.

Perhaps that is the real key to these shows. You would be able to understand the plot, if only you had read the book. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I really wish Rittenhouse would do a Twin Peaks set. But it's probably not "ongoing" enough. Nowadays card companies shy away from pursuing licenses that could be one-and-done. I don't blame them on their end, but it stinks for those of us who'd like to see more movie sets or sets for shows like Twin Peaks.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
I just want an Ash vs Evil Dead set. Bruce Campbell and Lucy Lawless have signed for them in the past and it would make for some pretty cool cards!

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Ash Vs. Evil Dead co-stars Lee Majors and Ted Raimi have signed for RA before, too...

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robomole:
I just want an Ash vs Evil Dead set. Bruce Campbell and Lucy Lawless have signed for them in the past and it would make for some pretty cool cards!

I would love to see this too. Smile

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm nearly done with the American Gods book. Might watch the show at some point, but it's indeed a very interesting story. Very unexpected as I went in not knowing much about it, although I'm familiar with some of Neil Gaiman's other work. From what I hear the show captures the essence of the book quite well.

Posts: 2 | Location: Seattle | Registered: March 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post