Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Greetings from sunny (formerly)South Florida
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greetings from sunny (formerly)South Florida
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
Well IRMA is barreling down upon us here and looks as if it will be a bull's eye on Sunday as a category 5 hurricane with wind gusts of up to 225 MPH!.
Hopefully my collection will be safe from the fury of this monster storm. If not, I will be dethroned as the Promoking Shake Head Shake Head and will have to rebuild with the help of my friends. I will let you know....

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hope you ride it out fairly high and dry. Still looks like Miami is dead center, but things can change.

No clear path after it makes landfall either. If it goes east up the coast it will hit up by me too, west it stays below.

Can't believe two of them so close together. Aid money will be astronomically, but at least a lot of people are evacuating ahead of Irma, so can only hope that loss of life will be minimal. God Bless.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Be careful Promoking. Don't take any risks.

Hoping Irma steers out to sea,

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Well IRMA is barreling down upon us here and looks as if it will be a bull's eye on Sunday as a category 5 hurricane with wind gusts of up to 225 MPH!.
Hopefully my collection will be safe from the fury of this monster storm. If not, I will be dethroned as the Promoking Shake Head Shake Head and will have to rebuild with the help of my friends. I will let you know....

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Best wolfie wishes to anyone who is in the path of these things. Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
As someone who was in Katrina's path, all the best.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Be safe, Albert.

We were hit by Sandy in 2012. Knocked a few trees down on our property, and parts of the fence, but no one injured.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your good wishes! It has started already....

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
I'm glued to the weather channel and I empathize with all of you in FL. My thoughts & prayers go out to you Albert...

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Thinking about you and everyone in Florida.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed all is ok

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hit the Keyes, but turned west, so Miami and the east coast of Florida will get less than expected, but west coast and up thru Tampa Bay are worse off than thought. It will barrel inland, not along the East Coast, but that's bad for those areas.

The storm surge on coastal waters looks to be impressive. Water is being drawn out from the Florida Bays and will flood back in as the storm passes. This will go on all day and night for Florida. The only good news is that people seem to have taken to the shelters for the most part. Hope the later flood predictions are wrong.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Thinking of you and my family members that had to evacuate Ft. Meyers and Miami. It is frustrating, most of them are not answering or are unable answer their telephones.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Watching on T V it is all bad good luck to all that will be involved in it
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Lots of damage to be sure, but the storm surge afterwards was way less than predicted, so that is VERY good news for those Florida coastal towns.

The newscasters covering this morning all seemed to be slightly sorry that they didn't get to see that 15-foot wall of water they were warning about. That's why many people distrust weather reports these days. Everything is hyped as a disaster. Harvey and Irma are disasters for who knows how many people and the news people would still have liked to report more. Frown

How are you doing promoking? Good I hope.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Just got our power back. Not much damage. Lost a huge oak tree, the backyard fence and few broken items. Took lots of pictures of the roads many of which are impassable. now back to what's important... How many promo cards did I miss bidding on, on Ebay? Razz

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Lots of damage to be sure, but the storm surge afterwards was way less than predicted, so that is VERY good news for those Florida coastal towns.

The newscasters covering this morning all seemed to be slightly sorry that they didn't get to see that 15-foot wall of water they were warning about. That's why many people distrust weather reports these days. Everything is hyped as a disaster. Harvey and Irma are disasters for who knows how many people and the news people would still have liked to report more. Frown

How are you doing promoking? Good I hope.
I don't know about over in the States, but here in the UK people my age still remember when a BBC Weatherman got things very, very wrong when he said the weather would be fine and one of the worst storms on record hit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/u...ael-fish-s-white-lie

I imagine it's safer for weathermen to over estimate how bad things will be than get dragged over the coals in the aftermath of a mistake like this when people want to know why they weren't warned about how bad it would be.

Anyway, good to know things haven't been quite as bad as predicted on this occasion for Florida.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
I imagine it's safer for weathermen to over estimate how bad things will be than get dragged over the coals in the aftermath of a mistake like this when people want to know why they weren't warned about how bad it would be.

Yes its better to err on the side of caution, but its not necessarily the weathermen. TV news likes ratings and they like to sensationalize everything. After awhile it becomes like the boy who cried wolf. People don't believe the forecasts of bad storms, even when they are right on.

I think it was last winter or the one before when we were supposed to have a huge snowstorm and the Mayor closed all public schools in the middle of the night. Next morning we had a bit of sleet and then the sun came out. Everyone had a fit because people lost work to stay home and watch the kids. That's what people always remember. So the next time they yell blizzard, no one believes it and they all get stuck in the snow when they should have stayed home. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great news, Albert. Another friend near Tampa reported just a downed tree and some branches blocking the road into town. They didn't even lose power at any time.

You didn't miss much on Ebay.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Just got our power back. Not much damage. Lost a huge oak tree, the backyard fence and few broken items. Took lots of pictures of the roads many of which are impassable. now back to what's important... How many promo cards did I miss bidding on, on Ebay? Razz

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post