Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Check your binders. . . Common cards now worth thousands.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check your binders. . . Common cards now worth thousands.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
There has been a massive surge in prices of PSA graded Marvel cards -- here is just one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-...Man-30-/224330217444

Sold for $1300.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webjon,

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I've got some magic beans if they are intrested.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"1990 Marvel Universe Spider-Man True Rookie RC PSA 10 Gem Mint Spider Man #30"

SPIDER MAN TRUE ROOKIE, give me a break. Roll Eyes

Yes, go run and get all your Marvel "rookie" cards graded and see if anyone will give you thousands for them.

Seriously this hyped stuff is like a bubble and whoever is stuck with it when it bursts is the one who takes the loss, but the money is made by those who got in and out fast.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
That is insane. I feel kind of bad for whoever bought it. They got ripped off.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be clear this isn't a one off -- another PSA 10 copy of this card sold for $1250. Many PSA 10 copies of 90s marvel cards are selling for hundreds of dollars:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...psa+10&LH_Complete=1

Sealed boxes of Marvel Universe I are selling for $1000.

While grading isn't welcome news to the majority of people on Card Talk on other much more active forums chatter about grading these cards -- and 70s Star Wars and GPK cards is frequent.

While Card Talkers likely won't be buying in to this current trend it may benefit them if they have any of this stuff they were thinking about selling.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
And the WINNER IS??????

The grading companies!

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The card forums that more actively discuss and support graded cards of any and all titles are largely populated by full time, part time, amateur and professional card sellers. They welcome any and all angles that result in convincing someone to give them more money for something, even when that works against the long term interests of card collectors and the hobby in general.

Yes, the grading companies are the guaranteed winners, but they can't hand out too many gem mints. Wink

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
This hobby, along with sports cards, is going to crash just like the mid-90’s; few people have this kind of money, and all these cards, sets and boxes are common. I have several sitting in my closet, I will happily trade for pre-1970 material.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
An old friend who used to deal in minerals and fossils also knew the stock investing world. He often employed the term, "the greater fool theory," which you can guess says that no matter the price you foolishly paid, you can find someone who will pay you even more (especially if you have the benefit of some surrounding hype). But yeah, it all stops somewhere. If you have those 25 cent cards, get them out for sale now and take reasonable offers because windows like these don't stay open.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
"1990 Marvel Universe Spider-Man True Rookie RC PSA 10 Gem Mint Spider Man #30"

SPIDER MAN TRUE ROOKIE, give me a break. Roll Eyes

Yes, go run and get all your Marvel "rookie" cards graded and see if anyone will give you thousands for them.

Seriously this hyped stuff is like a bubble and whoever is stuck with it when it bursts is the one who takes the loss, but the money is made by those who got in and out fast.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Actually that seller is wrong! The true "rookie" Spiderman card, if one exists, would be card #29. That card is the Spider-Man prototype version of card number 30, released earlier that year as part of the 20 card promo/prototype set. I wonder how much that card is now worth?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Spider-man in a 1060s set? Hos first card appearance can't be in 1990.

Speculators ruin collectible markets.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just did a search and people on Card Talk have been talking about graded Star Wars commons selling for hundreds of dollars since 2017. . .

I don't know what to think anymore. . . but if I had boxes of this stuff sitting around I'd be selling.

posted Hide Post
In a kind of similar vein -- rare fortnite cards have gone crazy too, with some selling for over a grand:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skull...10-Mint/154300003846

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, the grading companies are the guaranteed winners, but they can't hand out too many gem mints. Wink

Exactly my point. 10 or not, the grading company wins. Smokin'

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
Wasn't Spider-man in a 1060s set? Hos first card appearance can't be in 1990.

Speculators ruin collectible markets.

Yeah, Marvel Super Heroes back in 66, plus I know there was at least 1 sticker set with Spiderman from Topps in the 70's.

These cards from the 90's were massively over produced through Impel and 30 years later you can still find sealed boxes. The process used left most of these cards well centered with sharp edges and corners. When Ryan wrote about Marvel Universe for cardboard connection they were at an average of $28 a box.

I get that supply vs demand will play the biggest role on a fair price but it is super difficult to believe that in true value this mint 10 over produced common card is worth 3X a Stan Lee autograph card from the Silver Age release.

Heck! I have 98 of 100 Topps 75th Anniversary diamond set numbered to 75 and it wouldn't sell for as much as this common card went for.

All I can say is if ya have em.....sell em. Smokin'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
According to the PSA population report:

1,974 cards from this set are Gem Mint 10
675 are 9
150 are 8
44 are 7

The 8's are more rare than the 10's! Should tell you all you need to know.

To compare a 70's set Star Wars series 1

4,089 10's
17,778 9's
17,515 8,s
2,832 7's

add these numbers and then multiply by 20 or 30 and you have the house winnings!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I get that supply vs demand will play the biggest role on a fair price but it is super difficult to believe that in true value this mint 10 over produced common card is worth 3X a Stan Lee autograph card from the Silver Age release.

This is the mindset that I really struggle with -- why are the common cards going crazy in value, but rare cards -- at least so far -- are not seeing comparable growth.

posted Hide Post
The hype is strong with this one. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...m5Q&feature=youtu.be

Also do you think you get unbiased grading if you show up to PSA as a celebrity and are filming?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

Exactly my point. 10 or not, the grading company wins. Smokin'

Well that was my little joke. Big Grin As you said in your other post, these 90's cards were so massively overproduced, plenty of collectors have them tucked away and there is still sealed product laying around. Unlike say 50's baseball cards, condition in general should be close to factory perfect on tens of thousands.

The thing that has to be stressed here is that this "trend" is based on high graded cards, mainly on the gem-mint rating. You must get at least a 9 or no one needs to look at the card. If your cards are raw, someone may offer to buy them for a slightly higher price now, but that someone is going to have to get them graded to make more money. On eBay many sellers are putting up 90's Marvel lots now with the tagline that some might be gem-mint. That is the lure that pulls other people into the game. None of this is card collecting. It's card speculation and it lasts as long as the last buyer, who then becomes a seller, can make more than he/she paid. The key is the grading.

If the grading services take this small flood of Marvel cards and judge them consistently, the population of mint and gem-mint rated cards will increase ten-fold. But that works against everyone because the more you send back in the high grades, the less special the whole thing becomes. And that my friend is why I say, they can't give out too many gem mints. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
The hype is strong with this one. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...m5Q&feature=youtu.be

Also do you think you get unbiased grading if you show up to PSA as a celebrity and are filming?

Thanks for pointing out that clip, it's hysterical. Big Grin

For anyone who doesn't know, that's Steve Aoki, a 43 year old, filthy rich DJ, record producer, all around media star and apparently above all, Pokemon card lover. Yeah I googled him, but the Pokemon part didn't come up. Anything else you can figure out from watching him carry on over his now graded card.

About PSA, it's publicity for them, they are happy to roll out the red carpet. I would have liked to see the reaction if the card got a 7, but that wouldn't have gone up on youtube, now would it? Wink