Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Things to love about collecting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things to love about collecting
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted
Ok I've had my say on the whole "dislikes" theme so here is what I like about the hobby
1. I love opening packs, they are like little presents you never know what you are going to get.
2. I enjoy hunting on eBay and in stores for the filler cards I need.
3. Meeting other collectors in person and on eBay to trade with and buy from.
4. The feeling that comes with completing a close to master set, with autos its hard to get a full master, like finishing the puzzle cards that were in Inkworks sets.
5. Getting auto's from stars I will never get a chance to meet.
6. Reliving the feeling of watching the show or movie by going though sets.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In no special order . . .

1. Getting certified autograph cards of actors who's work you have admired.

2. Getting sketch cards that are truly 1/1 works of art.

3. Sharing stories and opinions with fellow non-sport card collectors on Card Talk.

4. Tracking down favorite cards or filling missing holes in your collection.

5. Pulling that big hit that you couldn't afford to buy.

6. Finding cheap boxes.

7. Winning a prized card on an eBay auction.

8. Completing that first, and maybe only, master set.

9. Feeling like a kid again when you go to a card show, hobby store or convention.

10. Realizing that you don't have to collect everything to be happy. Smile

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Collecting itself. . . I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it.
Chatting with dealers and collectors at shows.
Trading at shows. . .
Going to big conventions to check out stuff I don't collect but is still cool.
Finding deals.
Opening packs and boxes (just wish they were easier to find locally).

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
1 ) Trading
2 ) Philly Shows
3 ) NSU Magazine & CardTalk
4 ) Talking with Friends about the Hobby
5 ) Going to Shows
6 ) Visiting Brick & Morter stores
7 ) Promos & Food incentive Cards
8 ) Finding New Stuff
9 ) Great People to Trade With
10 ) Completing a Master Set
11 ) Sketch cards
12 ) Getting stuff in the Mail

Posts: 1176 | Location: Rochester , NY , USA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Collecting makes me happy. I have passed my collecting bug on to my two boys and nothing makes me happier than us collecting together.

I love opening full booster boxes, I like pulling chase cards and searching for the cards that have eluded me. I most of all love seeing my boys faces when they pull a card that they really want, at the moment either a John Cena or Rey Mysterio chase card. They love the shiny's.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
How come the thread for Dislikes About Collecting has 4 times the activity of Things to Love About Collecting?

Are we really a bunch of masochists? Wink Big Grin

Posts: 10381 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think, in general, most people notice the bad more easily than the good. It's easy to think of all the things you wish were different about collecting, and most people like telling others about their problems. (Why do you think psychiatry is such a lucrative field?) But I can find some things I love about collecting, as both a non-sport and baseball card fan.

I love finding a great deal on something I need/want. I was at a card show today and one of the dealers had a bunch of non-sport sets, many for $5 each. Sure, this seems to be somewhat regular - if I find a nonsport dealer he/she will tend to have a $5/set section. But it's nice to find things I don't have - I picked up 9 different sets today.

I love looking back at old cards and the memories they bring. With the nonsport cards it's the subject that brings back memories, with baseball cards it can be how I came to find that card, what it meant for my collection, my interest in the player, or even memories of childhood. I love seeing 1989 Topps baseball cards, because regardless of their lack of value, this was the first pack I ever opened (that meant anything to me, at least).

I love going to shows, even if I don't find anything outstanding, because it's fun to just look around and see all the cards and people.

I like checking Target for new boxes or packs to open. That's always fun.

While some may not enjoy them, I like new/unique ways of adding to packs. I might not want to collect them all, but how else are you supposed to have something authentic from, say, Drew Barrymore, or Tom Hanks? Even if I don't have the money and/or time to collect every set/card (such as cut signatures) there is someone who does, which can help the hobby. (Of course, what anyone buying anything along these lines has to realize is that it's pretty much impossible to make money by investing, and there has to be some kind of intrinsic joy.)

And I like reading about the hobby, in books, magazines, or on this forum. Even the negative comments are good, because they can lead to changes, or at least a discussion or realization as to why things are as they are.

Just my 57 cents.

Posts: 11 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Card Talk Ryan, nice post. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I love the Hunt...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Fair and balanced, some things I love from the dealer's perspective...

• When someone gets a great pull from a box I sold them. Really, I like making people happy.

• When I can finish off a customer's set with the commons I keep. The cost: Free. That part gets them all the time.

• Getting the first peek at new cards. Yeah, it's fun being first sometimes.

And from a collector's standpoint...

• When artists draw Crystal in their Marvel sketch cards. I may not get them all, but it's fun to chase such an obscure character.

• Getting to meet the artists at shows. It's too cool to be able to shake the hand of someone who gives us great art. Most of them are great people and enjoy positive feedback.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

•  
    Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of damien
    posted Hide Post
    I started getting only autographs and costume cards
    now I have expanded to sketches and binders for the sets
    2010 has been my favorite card-collecting year so far
    great products and lots of them
    it whas a good thing for me when products where not so great it gave me more money for the others
    there is too much fun in this for me to stop

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
    Love it, makes my day when I look through my binders, espcecially my sets from the 70's and 80's.

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of kbmum
    posted Hide Post
    I think it's amazing that we can so easily own an authentic piece of movie, TV, music, or pop culture history, and often for very little money.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Stargaterules
    posted Hide Post
    1) I have always collected autographs . I use to go to Spring training Baseball games and get auto's as a kid . So I have always loved that.
    2) Completing a Autograph set . I now have every Stargate auto from all 3 series . That wasn't easy lol . Almost done with Star Wars 30th Anv. Auto set.
    3) Only show i have been to is the Mega Con in Orlando but that is always fun . Talking with other people about cards.
    4) Gambling with unopen boxes . Best pull gets both boxes , Love that lol.
    5) The razor autograph cards . Like Gil Gerard/Erin Gray Duel auto. I love Buck Rogers way back when. Getting auto's from the shows of the past is very cool.
    6) Yes i am a Rittenhouse junkie as well. Steve seems down to earth and easy to get a reply from if you have a question. Most of my collection is from thier sets. ( I just hope they do a Chuck set )cough maybe Mr Daulton would sign for that since he will not for Bond, And who wouldn't want Yvonne Strahovski or Zachary Levi's autos.

Yes by this post you can tell i am a Auto Junkie. I gave up drinking 10 years ago . Smoking 7 months ago. Auto's i may need help giving up. (thinks about it) NAH i need one bad habit lol.

Posts: 91 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post