Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    CRYPTOZOIC, RIPOFFZOIC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CRYPTOZOIC, RIPOFFZOIC
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear some sort of response from Cryptozoic, I'm a both sides of the story sort of guy. Smile

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Would someone be able to take a picture of either the boxes or the packets?
I'm curious to see their exact wording for their insert ratios/# hits per box etc.

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
Walking Dead Season 3 Part 1 box says:
"Look for randomly inserted Autograph (1:12), Wardrobe (1:24) and Sketch (1:288) Packs. Total odds of finding a special insert are approximately 1:8 packs. No guaranteed number of special inserts per pack. Packs containing special insert cards may contain less than the stated number of cards per pack."

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
It may state that there is no guarantee, but if you say something is 1:24 packs or 1:12 packs, that's what the customer is going to expect.

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
As it should be these boxes\packs are expensive. Granted it is our choice as collectors to make a purchase but we do have a right to reasonable expectations. There should be a middle ground for both manufacturers and end buyers.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lizzy:
It may state that there is no guarantee, but if you say something is 1:24 packs or 1:12 packs, that's what the customer is going to expect.

But remember that is across the entire print run, just because there is 24 packs in a box does not mean one of them contains the 1:24, another box may have 2 or 3 of them in it.
If it does not say the box contains whatever guaranteed then it is just pot luck. As to weather spending $80 on a box of cards should be pot luck well that's another story.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Their site says autos are 1:24. There's a mistake somewhere!

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walking Dead Season 3 Part 1 box says:
"Look for randomly inserted Autograph (1:12), Wardrobe (1:24) and Sketch (1:288) Packs. Total odds of finding a special insert are approximately 1:8 packs. No guaranteed number of special inserts per pack. Packs containing special insert cards may contain less than the stated number of cards per pack."

OK, we all know how to read these box odds, and Miss Lizzy has reprinted them above for this product.

I think CZE made a mistake with the autograph odds as written. Autographs at 1:12 would be 2 per box and wardrobe at 1:24 would be 1 per box. I believe this is an error and the website odds of autographs at 1:24 is what should have been printed.

I say this because previous WD product did have 1 autograph and 1 wardrobe card per box and you can expect to get them, and you should get them. Two premium hits per box, if you don't get that you are shorted and should complain for a replacement. That is how it has always worked.

Forget about pulling sketches, that is just long odds luck.

But remember, this thread was started because someone got no autographs in a box, only a wardrobe card, and CZE's response appears to be too bad for you.

I would disagree with that, I would expect an autograph hit to be in every box. That's what you are paying for, otherwise you have one costume card for a purchase of $75 and up. The big name card manufacturer that has a box construction formula that skips autographs in boxes is Upper Deck, but that is well known and disclosed in the odds. UD also includes multiple relic cards and the occasional sketch in boxes that lack an autograph.

Personally I think CZE has a quality control problem with whoever is processing the cards, both in the pack insertion and the box construction. Packs are being reported as having both too many cards and too few cards. Hits are missing from some boxes and I would suspect there may be extra hits in others. Great when you get more than you bargained for, but awful when you come up short.

CZE should respond. I too would like to hear the another side of the story. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10372 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I agree, something is wrong; how can you spell the name of the character wrong on the biggest autograph card you have ever done? How can you release your most popular set and not even promote it and have it come out with almost no communication with the collector base that buys your cards, not to mention dealers?

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
just to add to the general comments that CSE is has become a bad company, the next DC set is going to be higher priced. Apparently this is because the base cards will be some sort of premium stock. The DC sets are sketch oriented, I don't think anyone cares much about the base cards. Even if they did, who would pay an extra $20 on the box for shinier base cards?

The sketches seem pretty similar quality to previous DC sets, and there's almost no sign of 'battle' type sketches despite the Epic Battles name.

The DC sets are regularly being sold at much lower prices fairly soon after release. I can't imagine that increasing the price will help. For the first time ever, I won't be buying a DC set.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

But remember that is across the entire print run, just because there is 24 packs in a box does not mean one of them contains the 1:24, another box may have 2 or 3 of them in it.
If it does not say the box contains whatever guaranteed then it is just pot luck. As to weather spending $80 on a box of cards should be pot luck well that's another story.

I get that, and I think there are boxes that do have an extra hit in them. But if you were to pick up a box of cards with 24 packs in it, and odds state a certain insert is 1:24 packs you don't automatically expect to hit one?
They also state that "Total odds of finding a special insert are approximately 1:8 packs" - I know that the 1:12 ratio for the Autographs is wrong on the box, but if I make a mistake on one of my listings (like listing something for $7.99 when I mean $79.99), I have to own up to that mistake. They printed on the box an approximate 1:8 ratio for special inserts, so to me that means there should be at least 2 "special inserts" in each box.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
This is why I am excited about Once Upon a Time- insert odds are guaranteed on the box, you know exactly what you will get. Like Breygent did with the first Tudors release. I think the term most use is Premium Box.

The last normal box I got was GoT S3 and I didn't get a full base set.

Happy to know with Once that should be even more unlikely.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 007bondcards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
How many autos did Ford do for the set ?

It's approx. one in six cases so I would say 25 or less. Apparently the card has the characters name spelled wrong Roll Eyes and there are several spelling errors on other cards Shake Head .

The Ford error is rather appropriate as the characters name is Graff and it's been mis-spelled as Gaff Big Grin !

If you think they only made 150 cases of Enders Game I think you are kidding yourself,i would think it would be closer to 83 copies of the Ford auto.

Posts: 87 | Location: ontario | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I agree, something is wrong; how can you spell the name of the character wrong on the biggest autograph card you have ever done?

WTF! Had to just look up the images for this one - that is truly appalling. Maybe I take the autograph hobby too seriously, but if I was the talent I wouldn't sign collectibles that show the manufacturer essentially disrespects the role through their own laziness, and for the same reason, as a collector I couldn't keep such an item.

Truly embarrassing on a HARRISON FORD auto card!!!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At least 1 Ford auto has appeared "you know where"-- asking price $2500 !

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least 1 Ford auto has appeared "you know where"-- asking price $2500 !

There was one that sold right out of the gate for.... I think it was $2,000?

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
I agree, something is wrong; how can you spell the name of the character wrong on the biggest autograph card you have ever done?

WTF! Had to just look up the images for this one - that is truly appalling. Maybe I take the autograph hobby too seriously, but if I was the talent I wouldn't sign collectibles that show the manufacturer essentially disrespects the role through their own laziness, and for the same reason, as a collector I couldn't keep such an item.

Truly embarrassing on a HARRISON FORD auto card!!!

That is a doozy, all right, and for it to be spelled "Gaff" instead of "Graff" guarantees it will be an all-time classic example of a trading card screw-up, since the word "gaff" (correctly spelled that way, too, but usually spelled "gaffe") literally means "mistake". I wonder if the supervisor on this project pep talked to designers by saying, "OK, this is an important license. We've got Harrison Ford, everyone, so no mistakes. Double check everything and then check it again. No GRAFFS!".

I do find it interesting that all of the sellers of the three currently available either didn't want to, or didn't care to correct it. It's very likely, they, like most people, haven't seen that movie. I'd say there is pretty much no chance than Harrison Ford himself has seen "Ender's Game", doesn't seem to be his cup o' tea, but maybe he'll watch it now, with the free time he has while convalescing his leg.

As for this card, it is a beauty, particularly that the signature is on-card, but too bad it's for "Ender's Game", instead of pretty much any other Harrison Ford movie.

Anyway, NECA, you are off the hook for your own "gaff", the previous record-holding miscue, to my mind, the Chris Sarandon autograph from the 2001 Nightmare Before Christmas set that had his name spelled as "Saranndon". Ouch.

One other oddity in this regard were the Twilight Zone Series II cards from Rittenhouse that misspelled the word "autograph" as "autogrpah" on every single wrapper. They might've not caught those before the cards were packed, and once they were, it may have been too expensive to reprint the wrappers and repack the cards. Anyone know if RA had an official response for that?

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Of all of the autos that Crypto has done, in any of its sets, would you say that Ford is by far the biggest star ? And have any other Crypto autos sold for as much ?

Sure, the Big Bang stars are popular, but they are not huge stars like Ford

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of all of the autos that Crypto has done, in any of its sets, would you say that Ford is by far the biggest star ? And have any other Crypto autos sold for as much ?

Sure, the Big Bang stars are popular, but they are not huge stars like Ford

Ford was one of the most bankable stars from the late 70's to 00. Not as many hits in recent year but I would be hard pressed to find another actor that most people would want for so many different roles.

I would love a Morgan Freeman at some point. Samuel L. Jackson signed for The Spirit .
Topps 75th had at least Stallon. Batman and Robin had Mr. Freeze.

I guess you can say Brad Pitt would be a top dollar leading man auto.

I would have loved a Sam Rockwell from Iron Man 2. (Not for this performance but he has been great in almost everything else I have seen him in).

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Would you agree that Ford is the biggest star Crypto has had sign ?