Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Waiting for Product Release
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waiting for Product Release
 Login/Join

Picture of fuchaldream
posted
We are currently waiting for Grimm and Psych to drop. We saved and pre-ordered a case of each. This is a big deal for us, and we are getting antsy. We aren't rich; so we have been trying not to a spend a bunch of money on other stuff in the mean time. But, we do have "bustin' fever."

So my question is: What do you do while you wait for a new product to finally be released?

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Spend an inordinate amount of time reading and posting on here and over on Scoundrel to pass the time away Big Grin Angel

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm also waiting on The Mortal Instruments. Hopefully that will be released soon to hold me over until Grimm is released.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
I'm also waiting on The Mortal Instruments. Hopefully that will be released soon to hold me over until Grimm is released.

So buying other product is how you make through?

Don't know a lot about The Mortal Instruments. Is that based on a book series? Saw a piece of a preview a little while back, and it looked good. I am a little curious.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In terms of product release, there are really two separate issues, depending on how you buy cards.

I don't pre-order. The closest I come to it is to tell my local hobby store owner that I am interested in a certain title and would pick up X-number of boxes. Sometimes he brings in a big enough order and sometimes he can't. I do not pay up front, I've been doing business with the same guy forever. If a product is late, I often spend my money on what is out, so I don't feel antsy about not opening packs.

Which brings us to the second issue, many collectors do pre-order for bulk product and pay upfront for titles that can get seriously delayed. Most dealers don't want money until close to the release date, but some recent releases have been months behind. I don't know how the dealers handle payment with their distributors or with the manufacturer, if it's a direct purchase, but I see this as a big problem the longer it goes on. You have tied up your money in a shipment that you are not getting on time. Eek As a collector waiting, you may not have any other available money to buy anything else. So there really are no options if that is the case.

Bottom line is that all card release dates should not be annouced until the manufacturers are pretty sure they can be met. And many manufacturers are doing just that by using TBD a lot more.

Background on the Mortal Instruments movie for those who don't know is that its opening this month, its based on a book series, the 2nd movie is already being planned, and its basically a cross between Buffy, Twilight and Grimm. At least as far as I can tell, I never read the books.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuchaldream:
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:

So buying other product is how you make through?

Don't know a lot about The Mortal Instruments. Is that based on a book series? Saw a piece of a preview a little while back, and it looked good. I am a little curious.

It's a series of five(so far) books. The film is due out in the UK end of the month. Weirdly although the book and film are set in New York the majority of the cast are British Confused . At first when I saw the cast list I thought they might have filmed in the UK or Europe but it was mostly shot in Canada with some outside work in New York.

The card release does look very good with most of the cast signing and some oversized memorabilia and auto/piecework cards. Phil Collins daughter Lily is the main character and Lena Headey from Game of Thrones plays her mother.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
quote:
So my question is: What do you do while you wait for a new product to finally be released?

I make sure to have all the pages ready in a 3-ring binder. Then I decorate the binder.

I am currently waiting for Galactic Files 2.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedFive:
quote:

I make sure to have all the pages ready in a 3-ring binder. Then I decorate the binder.

I am currently waiting for Galactic Files 2.

I like that. I don't generally like the manufacturer albums* all that much, but this is a neat idea. Do you use any cards to decorate it? Or do you just use show art from other sources?

* The manufacturer albums are fine. I have just never ordered them. Not sure why I am not attracted to them...

Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
Topps does not always produce binders for their SW product. For decorations, yes, I use cards, The extra commons, and clippings/art from Star Wars Insider. Bookmarks work well for the spine. It is pretty easy to find Star Wars art.

Topps did produce a binder for Galactic Files 1, but I have not heard if GF2 will have one.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post