Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thor Ragnarok?
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about upper deck making cards for Thor 3? I've searched round but can't see it on any upcoming schedules?
Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Location: Uk | Registered: July 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This one has been pretty quiet, but you didn't check NSU, so the good news is that Thor: Ragnarok is included in the NSU Upcoming Card Releases schedule.

Its scheduled for December 2017, but of course that could change. Its not unusual for card sets to be released well after the films open anymore. I'm not sure why some card companies think that helps, but I guess it gives them time to adjust if the film is better or worse than they hoped.

I really would like a shot at a Cate Blanchett autograph card in her best Goddess of Death pose. She did sign a couple of cards for LotR, but she has evidently gotten better with age. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there is no solicitation from UD for this product yet. Which is VERY unusual.

Hoping they make this one, but I'm beginning to wonder after the short notice on Spider-Man Homecoming and the resulting low sales.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I was looking to see who the signers were and was surprised I could find anything at all!
Hopefully they will come out!

Posts: 7 | Location: Uk | Registered: July 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If Upper Deck is having trouble selling cards on these good Marvel movie titles and other popular titles, its because of the standard formula they have chosen and been employing for years. I am speaking of the skip box hit construction.

I think Upper Deck does a very nice job when it comes to how their cards look. I often like their titles. Nevertheless, in recent years, I buy zero Upper Deck boxes.

Why? Because I want an autograph card in that $80, $90, $100 and over box that I buy blind. I don't say it has to be a valuable autograph card, just an autograph.

Instead I may wind up with the skip box that has one or two hits in the other types of premium hits. With UD, its usually two costume cards, or a manufactured relic or a plate or a sketch. I can't tell you how many Thor costume cards I have from the first movie or how many Avenger single, dual and triple swatch cards I have from the first movie. All nice cards, but I bought for the chance at the autographs which are very limited.

After I realized it was foolish to try for the hit I wanted, I just stopped buying Upper Deck. I pick up cards on the secondary market, sometimes years later and get my UD signatures that way.

But that type of buyer does nothing for the dealers who have to buy at release. It does nothing for the manufacturer's sales. Spider-Man Homecoming was supposed to be a good film. If the card sales are low, its because of the way product came out. UD's distribution system does not help either. It stymies the product release by only having limited authorized dealers.

Its pretty simple really. Collectors want to be able to find product and they have certain types of favorite hits. If you want an autograph, you don't want a printing plate. If you want a printing plate, you don't want a sketch. If you want a sketch, you don't want a relic or prop. And if you want a relic or prop, you don't want an autograph.

UD wants you to buy and not know what type of hit you are guaranteed to get. I see other manufacturers now using this same grouping idea for hits.

It doesn't work guys. Quit the skipping around and decide what sort of product you are putting out. If UD is suffering low sales and wants to know what's wrong, they might start there.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just had conformation that from Upper Deck that the cards will be released in December

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
ORDERS DUE: Tuesday, November 14th, 2017
RELEASE DATE: Wednesday, December 13th, 2017

quote:
2017 MARVEL THOR RAGNAROK MOVIE TRADING CARDS BOX HITS:
• (3) Hits (Sketch, Memorabilia, Actor Autograph, Dyson Rip Card)
2017 MARVEL THOR RAGNAROK MOVIE TRADING CARDS PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:
• (3) Hits (Sketch, Memorabilia, Actor Autograph, Dyson Rip Card) in Every Box!
 Sketch Cards - Unique 1-of-1 original hand drawn sketch card from top artists!
 Memorabilia Cards - Authentic material used in production of the movie! At least (1) in Every Box!
 Single & Dual Actor Autographs - Standard auto cards as well as unique and thematic Grandmaster's Prized Possessions Actor Autos, with strands of chain embedded in the cards!
 NEW! - Dyson Rip Cards - Break open these cards (some SP #'d to 15, some SSP #'d to 5) to reveal a mini card inside! Along with regular mini cards, find comic creator and actor autographs! (1) Dyson Rip Card in Every Box! (on average)
• Three Different Insert Sets - Showcasing behind the scenes imagery, and key characters in the movie!
• 50-Card Base Set - Featuring authentic movie stills, with two different LTFX foil parallels to collect - one numbered to 199!

Amazing thing to me is the price... I expected the normal $100+ we've seen so much of lately. These will likely be more around the $85 mark, which is better but not exactly a budget friendly price either.

Nice to know we'll get a chance to find out of the movie is any good before we have to place an order for a change.

Bad news that we'll have to wait to mid-December to get the cards. Will the movie be in the normal theaters still by then? Who knows.

Ed

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Will the movie be in the normal theaters still by then? Who knows.

Ed

Yes, all indications are that this one will be a block buster.

I'm wondering how much the comparison, so close together, might hurt Justice League. This Thor is all about the fun and JL looks to be as painfully earnest as BvS was. I'll take the fun. Smile Might have to try UD again just for the heck of it.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Dyson Rip Cards, I don't know if anyone has seen them in sport card products, but the question is always to rip or not to rip?

Since you don't know the hidden card until you rip it, this seems like a no win situation. The hidden card is always a gem, until you rip it and prove that to be wrong. Big Grin

Unlike those RA seals on incentive top loaders, which I always break without worrying about ruining the mint condition, I really can't see ripping a Rip card. That kind of bothers me, as this is a premium hit in the box and I will never know what I have, unless I do what I don't want to do. See how this hobby drives us crazy. Razz

posted Hide Post
I know the rip concept was in some hockey releases, but sheesh, that was '96 or '97. It did not catch on, and rightfully so. I'm not sure if these have been around in non-sports before or not, but I don't like 'em. It also hurts that I don't have a lot of love for mini cards, either!

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Release moved to January 3rd. No reason given, like normal.

Will Thor still be in theaters then? Thinking not.
Plus you miss any holiday shopping.

Thanks Upper Deck.

Ed

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There goes my Christmas present to myself. Big Grin

Oh well, I hope that since UD is delaying, they are at least making the product better and getting more signed cards so that we might actually get an autograph out of a box. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So its a couple of days from the updated release and there is no checklist for this set. No idea who is on the autograph list and virtually no mention of these cards on the official Upper Deck website.

All I can think of is that UD must be staying in business despite itself because they are certainly not doing anything to promote sales.

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
I think UD is more interested in their sports cards with the non sport stuff being more of a sideline. They certainly don't seem to be concerned with advertising or distribution with regards to their non sports offerings.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh its not even sports cards anymore. They managed to lose most of their pro licenses. I think they still have some hockey, but most everything else is exclusive deals with a few current stars and many retired athletes in different sports. Specifically selling autographs on all manner of photos and jerseys, rather than cards.

When UD obtained the Marvel license and then started up old entertainment titles like Alien and Firefly again, I thought it was its way of getting back into the card business through non-sport and maybe dominating the market as it once did with sports cards. If they are just treating these titles like a sideline, I guess not.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
Any news on this release?

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidDeb:
Any news on this release?

Out today.

Checklist if you're curious: https://www.beckett.com/news/2...-deck-thor-ragnarok/

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So 15 packs per box, 4 cards per pack. Funny how the numbers keep going down with each new release. At least you can complete the 50 card base set with one box, assuming the packs don't have more than a couple of parallels of course.

Would really like to know all signers instead of "among the signers". I expected Hemsworth and Thompson, they have been good before. Urban and Stan Lee could seem likely too. But what about Goldblum, Blanchett, Hiddleston, Elba and Ruffalo? Even Cumberbatch might have a few stickers left over. This was a pretty good cast if you like stars. Hopkins and Damon did cameos too, but don't hold your breathe.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Would really like to know all signers instead of "among the signers".

All 4 signers are listed on the site.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Would really like to know all signers instead of "among the signers".

Did you read to the bottom and find the checklist? It's all there.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post