Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Questionable cards on eBay.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questionable cards on eBay.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This issue crops up now and again and each time it makes me think about our Hobby!

As it becomes easier for someone sitting at home with the right technology to produce copies of autographs from manufacturers that most collectors would have difficulty detecting, I have to think the Hobby is doomed in its current form.

Unless you have Provenance of an autograph it is worthless, and as we know, trying to prove to someone "I pulled it from a box myself" is almost impossible.

I do not know the answer to this concern, I'm just becoming reluctant to pay high prices for that elusive card when there is concern it may not be an original.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
The solution is simple, use effective security features on your cards and you will stop fakes dead. Hot foil stamping from magnesium blocks, security micro writing, security foil that really is secure and isn't sidestepped by nail varnish.... UV printing, or watermarking... of course some of these might ad a penny or two to the price so don't hold your breath.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sure Miss Lizzy, send me the scan of our Krause card.

The Radcliffe definitely looks questionable. . . I'd need to compare to other cards, but the signature concerns me.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Just a thought...

Do you think that some of these "Questionable" cards could be legitimately signed by autopen or perhaps an assistant with the celebrity knowing and allowing it to happen???

The star that has to sign the cards and has no time or just passes them off to someone else to take care of???

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Sure Miss Lizzy, send me the scan of our Krause card.

The Radcliffe definitely looks questionable. . . I'd need to compare to other cards, but the signature concerns me.

Jon

Email sent to you Jon.

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Miss Lizzy!

The card you've posted definitely has dark spots in the XOXO, but it also has feathering -- at least it looks like it does, the scan is pretty small.

Dots in an of themselves aren't always problematic as they can occur naturally in a signature, but if you notice the Yunjin Kim cards posted on webjon every 'stroke' in the signature starts with a 'dot.' Also every dot appears to be perfectly round.

Finally on the questionable there is no variation in the line thickness/darkness (aka feathering) at all through the entire signature, dot above the 'i' in Kim, or 'XOXO'

It's hard to tell from your scan, but there definitely appears to be feathering in the 'XOXO', plus line variation in the signature, and it doesn't look like 'Yunjin' starts with a dot.

It's *hard* to tell from a scan, for sure, and the cards are supposed to look real. . . That said I welcome all who ask questions since awareness is the best thing we can do to prevent these cards from getting out. I don't even own a single Yunjin Kim autograph to compare to, I'm simply going off these very small cues in the signature, along with the realization that the seller had other questionable cards.

Since people have questioned my questioning this card I freely admit that I have gone back and examined the card more closely and compared to other autographs, and I still feel -- for the reasons stated above -- that these Yunjin Kim cards are questionable. I still would like to see nice high quality scans from people who have copies of the same cards posted.

Jon

I pack pulled a Yunjin Kim Lost Season 2 auto...I'll try to send you a scan when I get home.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarcG:
Just a thought...

Do you think that some of these "Questionable" cards could be legitimately signed by autopen or perhaps an assistant with the celebrity knowing and allowing it to happen???

The star that has to sign the cards and has no time or just passes them off to someone else to take care of???

Perhaps that could be happening in some instances, but the cards that have been pointed out all are different than their pack pulled counterparts. So that doesn't seem to be the case here.

That said we know it's not unusual for celebs to get a stack of their own autograph cards for their own personal use. . . perhaps that is the origin of some of these cards.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Just a thought...

Perhaps that could be happening in some instances, but the cards that have been pointed out all are different than their pack pulled counterparts. So that doesn't seem to be the case here.

That said we know it's not unusual for celebs to get a stack of their own autograph cards for their own personal use. . . perhaps that is the origin of some of these cards.

Jon

OK... I just thought I would bring that up.

So you are saying there could be cards that celebs didn't sign and their assistants or someone could have gotten a hold of and somehow they became available without autos?

I wonder if there was any info about this happening or do you know of anything like that happening?

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you are saying there could be cards that celebs didn't sign and their assistants or someone could have gotten a hold of and somehow they became available without autos?

I wonder if there was any info about this happening or do you know of anything like that happening?

I don't have any information showing that assistants or other folks have signed official cards for people -- at least not in the non-sport world.

There are many instances of the celebs getting blank autographs for their personal use though. I've written about it on webjon a few times: http://webjon.com/blog/?s=unsigned

This is why you sometimes see a very odd variant signature -- several Lou Ferrigno's Hulk autos sold on eBay with various quotes "Hulk Smash" etc, these were all from his personal stash of autograph cards, and weren't pulled from sealed RA sets.

Jon

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I can't scan my pack-pulled autos because I don't have a scanner. I also have that Angelina Jolie auto, but it was bought from a dealer. The best I could do is a digital photo.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lizzy:
And speaking of questionable autos, I have a Brian Krause from Charmed Season One that I am pretty damn positive is fake. I cannot for the life of me remember where I got it from.
Can I send it you for a second opinion?

That Krause card wound up being dumped in the Razor Ink Vault boxes and goes for about $25 on a good day.

I'm not saying its not a fake, but if it is someone wasted their time and talents. Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Miss Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

That Krause card wound up being dumped in the Razor Ink Vault boxes and goes for about $25 on a good day.

I'm not saying its not a fake, but if it is someone wasted their time and talents. Big Grin

That's why I'm not too heartbroken about it. Big Grin

I have another one that is definitely real, so I'm gonna let Jon have this one so he can add it to his fakes collection.

Posts: 2070 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Celebs definitely get extra cards from the mfgs. In the past I have written to celebs and here are a few that signed my item and also sent official signed trading cards...

-Boti Bliss (CSI:Miami)

-Michael Trucco (Battlestar Galactica)Even got it a few weeks before it officially came out.

-Just a week or so ago. I received a official Artbox signed Harry Potter card signed by Dawn French. I had sent her a custom HP card and she sent the real one.

Their are a few others I cannot remember offhand.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So the best way to prevent unsigned cards from floating around getting signed is to have the person sign stickers so the cards never leave your office..

HMMMMMM imagine that..

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well this thread just saved me from a wasting a few dollars. I read this earlier today. And since I don't bid on these higher end autos...Didn't pay too much attention. Well tonight I was about to spend $5 on a Jeffrey Combs 4400 auto card. And right before I was going to submit my bid. I noticed the name of the seller was savecoupon and I remembered it from the thread and did not go through with the bid.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I just looked through savecoupon's negative and neutral feedback (thank you, Toolhaus). Most of the complaints were about slow delivery or non-receipt of coupons. However, someone left a negative on November 10 that the Subway coupons were fakes and the seller wouldn't issue a refund.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Do you think that this is only happening to the High End Autos or does it really matter?

Any evidence of Harry Potter Autos?

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There is a Christopher Lee auto on ebay right now for the Cornerstone set.

As far as i know he never signed for that set.

It could be a blank that someone got him to sign but it does not say it is.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some stars might use autopens?. rather than sign 100 cards just give it to their secretary to autopen them?

one not fool proof test is ask the person selling to enclose a packet. if they opened cases/boxes they will have a ton of those and could spare one. if they don't have empty packets and its a new release how did they get the auto?

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
Nice topic. It will be good to continue posting scans of signatures.

I understand the fear to "fakes". Specially when trading card companies go bankruptcy and sell everything to anyone.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post