Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Questionable cards on eBay.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questionable cards on eBay.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I pulled a Hayden Panettiere from a pack, and it DOES seem to have a few 'auto-dots'. Makes me wonder. If these stars don't have time to sign their cards personally, I'd rather not even see them released. I'm not saying she, or any of them, DID use a machine, but if they did, I would be quite dissapointed.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it would not surprise me if people paid millions did use autopens or got someone else to do them. the key for me is did it come out of a packet. if yes then one has to accept it.

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another clue to safe buying i would use is if the seller is only listing autos and not costumes,binders, base sets and has no external website then i would look very closely.

the person should be able to explain where they got the card from.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I pulled a Hayden Panettiere from a pack, and it DOES seem to have a few 'auto-dots'. Makes me wonder. If these stars don't have time to sign their cards personally, I'd rather not even see them released. I'm not saying she, or any of them, DID use a machine, but if they did, I would be quite dissapointed.

I highly doubt these folks use autopens to create autograph cards. Dark spots in signatures can and do happen.

The autopen dots are consistent on each stroke of the signature, and they are just one of several things to look at when examining an autograph.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
There is a Christopher Lee auto on ebay right now for the Cornerstone set.

As far as i know he never signed for that set.

It could be a blank that someone got him to sign but it does not say it is.

Amazingly this card with postage sold for nearly $100 and yet it is not part of any set. There are obviously people out there who will pay lots of money for cards official or otherwise, fake or real.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stargaterules
posted Hide Post
A Deforest Kelley auto card has been posted on ebay . A61 Rittenhouse auto . The seller has 0 feedback and has sent me a better scan of the card that i requested back and front . My question is with alot of fakes out there what do you all think of this one ? I still need a Deforest for my collection . sigh

Posts: 91 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blue Horseshoe
posted Hide Post
If it is a Rittenhouse auto then it is a fake as he signed the A61 for Skybox.

If you mean the TOS 3 A61 then has it been embossed?

Dave.

Posts: 280 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stargaterules
posted Hide Post
Sorry yes it does say Skybox on the back not rittenhouse just use to Rittenhouse with Star Trek cards. Can't tell if it's embossed by the scan . Would rather find a well known dealer with one for sale but it's hard to find.

Posts: 91 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
By a strange (therimin music here please) coincidence, I am currently making payments on that exact same card from a 100% and then some legitimate dealer. But I won't have the card for a while since I've given him my arm but not my leg yet. When I have it in my possession I will try posting a pic of it here.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
By a strange (therimin music here please) coincidence, I am currently making payments on that exact same card from a 100% and then some legitimate dealer. But I won't have the card for a while since I've given him my arm but not my leg yet. When I have it in my possession I will try posting a pic of it here.

I've got the SkyBox A61 Deforest Kelley had for some time, and will post a scan in next day or so.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stargaterules
posted Hide Post
Thanks , That would help alot . Wink

posted Hide Post
Found a few more interesting cards and posted about 'em on webjon.com -- Emma Watson and Tommy Lee Jones. . .

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajdedo
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of mine....

Posts: 146 | Location: Sunshine Coast, BC | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Found a few more interesting cards and posted about 'em on webjon.com -- Emma Watson and Tommy Lee Jones. . .

Jon

Proving yet again that Beckett authentication is questionable at best. The guys "authenticating" these autographs are not qualified to do so. The Emma Watson signature on the Beckett card is absolutely a fake. Watson's signature has of course changed as she has grown older as one would expect, however even when comparing it to the same cards from legitimate sources it is wrong. Jon is right about the order of letters, no way they were written in the right order.

Also notice that the grading is all 8.5-9.5 aside from the "surface" which drops the overall score to 7 as it only coming in at a 6. Guess which aspect of a trading card is the hardest to exactly replicate without knowing which paper stock and coating is used on the originals...

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unless you see the card come from a sealed packet how can it be graded as authentic?

without a rock solid traceable provenance it would be a guess?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richnet:
unless you see the card come from a sealed packet how can it be graded as authentic?

without a rock solid traceable provenance it would be a guess?

Well it's possible to do, but you need to invest in security features that make it difficult to copy, micro writing, security strips, UV watermarks, hidden text... the list of things that can be done is endless. he real problem is that most companies assume it's not worth the trouble of copying products, because A. it was difficult (it's not now) and B. it would require additional investment, on a product that they will still only make the same return on. They have no stake in the secondary market values and thus no incentive to change. That is until counterfeiting hurts there bottom line, if people stopped buy card from company X because they could be easily faked then things might change, but that's unlikely to happen. These cards also offer a great return to the counterfeiter.

If I fake a $100.00 bill, I have committed a federal offence, and I will be looking at jail time fora measly 100 bucks.. if I fake a Tommy Lee Jones card I can make closer to $400.00 and if I get caught I am looking at probably a fine with no jail time, and it's much easier to do.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jon

Any info you can give me on Joss Whedo Season 1 Buffy Auto???

There are a few on eBay now and they all appear different to me.

Thank you!!!

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jon

Hate to bump an old thread, but the Watson's on eBay again the BGS graded one.

Posts: 33 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
The Watson auction was ended today. I'd like to know who ended it -- the seller or eBay.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I contacted the seller and alerted them that the card was fake, they pulled the auction and are trying to get a refund.

Jon