Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Questionable cards on eBay.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questionable cards on eBay.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
There is a few robert downey jnr's iron man auto cards that look a bit dodgy!!

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you guys are seeing questionable stuff please post it on boards, or email it to me so I can post it up on webjon to get the word out.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received this card in a large lot I purchase...pretty certain it's fake given the quotes around Sawyer don't match the other autos I've seen. What do you think?

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely questionable. . .

The signature itself has autopen dots at the end of every line. . .

I'd avoid this card (or, in your case get your money back if you can). . . It'll be on webjon soon.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you send me a scan of the back?

Thanks,

Jon

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I pulled that auto from a pack, and the auto-pen dots are definitely NOT on mine. The signature also varies in other respects.

EDIT - I missed the quotes remark! The first ones are indeed 'upside down"!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cardaddict,

Posts: 2508 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a scan of the back:

The seller already told me to just send it back.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the scan. . . very cool it's from a legit seller. . . I wish we could trace all these fakes back to the source.

It's *very* odd that they have these strange printing issues -- like the quote issue on this card. . . It's almost like someone got hold of the pre-production image files and printed some extras. . . Odd.

posted Hide Post
Hey Wayne-

If you still have the card can you see if there is an Inkworks watermark on the back?

Thanks,

Jon

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I pulled that auto from a pack, and the auto-pen dots are definitely NOT on mine. The signature also varies in other respects.

That autograph was a redemption. Do you mean you pulled the redemption card?

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
i think one thing should be pointed out. Those dots at the end of pen strokes, are quite normal for pens and autographs. not saying its real or not, but a lot of authentic autographs have those dots at the end. its just where the pen sat for a secound or if the hand lifts back it gives it a double dose of ink, very common on both fountain pens and fine line sharpies. You dont see them on the blue vis-a-vis (the best pen for in person/convention autographs of all time) but its mostly due to the pens ink flow and density of the color.

here are some examples of authentic autographs that have ending "dots", people who never used/cared about using an autopen, and they are authentic cause grading/authenticating their autographs is something i do. just saying, dont assume seeing that dot means its not real. Do your homework first, but that on its own is a normal thing.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This signatures are too small to see anything, but the Josh Holloway above autograph has perfectly round dots at the end of EVERY line in the signature. That isn't normal.

Jon

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
well the cushing you can see it at the end of many letters.

Here is a uptight of it

also, to be sure here is another piece i have. heres the signed pic, and heres the upclose. it has a small drawing done by hamill back when this was signed in 1978-1979. no one would autopen that. That and, well, trust me i do this a lot its real.

all I am saying, is that the dots don't mean autopen automatically (oddly phrased, I know). If its variant sure call it out. But the fact they have those dots doesn't on its own mean anything. its normal for many autographs and pen types to do that. It as a symptom alone doesn't mean fake at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zhamlau,

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:

all I am saying, is that the dots don't mean autopen automatically (oddly phrased, I know). If its variant sure call it out. But the fact they have those dots doesn't on its own mean anything. its normal for many autographs and pen types to do that. It as a symptom alone doesn't mean fake at all.

I agree with you, much emphasis is being made about the dots, but they occur in the course of a normal signing.

Autopen signatures are perfect replicas and are very hard to detect when you have only one card in front of you. You can look for certain signs that may help, like the dots for instance, but you know the only way to really identify an autopen? Have another autopenned card of the same one or a good photo of it. When you compare the two and the signatures are identical, that's when you know for sure.

Signature stamps are difficult to spot on first glance too, but there is no stroke impression, and sometimes you can spot the line from the edge of the stamp. Its all a lot of fun not to be fooled. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
. . . There are certainly differences between autopen dots and dots (dark spots) in a signature. . .

Your scans are still too small to see, but the top scan that you refer to as 'cushing' looks like dark blocks, not round dots.

The Hamill definitely has dark spots, but not at the end of every line, and also there is a ton of feathering in the signature (at least not from the looks of the small scan).

This really is totally comparing apples to oranges. If you want to discuss dots in signatures then we should be talking about signatures that are being called into question -- not random signatures that you can find with dark spots in 'em.

While dark spots in signatures aren't the end all to be all to determine authenticity in a signature (and I don't think anyone every said that they were). They are one of a number of tell tale signs that there could be problems.

What are your thoughts on the Josh Holloway? Real or questionable?

Jon

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Autograph aside, there are other issues with the Holloway...the quotes around Sawyer is wrong, and the Inkworks emblem on the front is too far to the left...it intrudes in the LOST test. I checked every other LOST auto I have and none of the others are like that.

webjon...I'm not sure what you mean by the Inkworks watermark.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck Bartowski,

posted Hide Post
On the back of many Inkworks autograph there is a barely visible wallpaper of the Inkworks logo at a 45 degree angle. It is often very difficult to see, and is easier to view with a black light. Jason from Cult Stuff posted a scan of the watermark around here somewhere. . .

Here is the watermark:
http://cult-stuff.com/?attachment_id=113

Jon

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:

That autograph was a redemption. Do you mean you pulled the redemption card?

Yes, sorry, I pulled the Redemption Card and sent it to Inkworks. I have both the punched redemption card and the Holloway auto in the binder. I should have looked closer before posting. Thanks, Jane!

Posts: 2508 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
On the back of many Inkworks autograph there is a barely visible wallpaper of the Inkworks logo at a 45 degree angle. It is often very difficult to see, and is easier to view with a black light. Jason from Cult Stuff posted a scan of the watermark around here somewhere. . .

Here is the watermark:
http://cult-stuff.com/?attachment_id=113

Jon

Ah...the back does have the watermark then. It's hard to see, but it's there.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i messed with the hues and saturation some...you can see the watermark in this scan