Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse 2023
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
RA says that the first 3 sets of 2023 will be Dr.Who Seasons 1 to 4, Star Trek Discovery 4, and House of Dragons.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

On one hand it is good to see continued 'new' licenses in Dr. Who, and House of Dragons. . .

On the other hand even though these are 'new' they really don't feel new.

I haven't watched House of Dragons, although I hear people like it.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Presumably, that's reboot Seasons 1 to 4 of Doctor Who rather than the original William Hartnell Series 1 to 4 from back in the 60s Smile

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, on Dr. Who it is the series which began in 2005 and the Ninth and Tenth Doctors are signing cards.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the full list from their release schedule:

Doctor Who Series 1-4 (2023)
Star Trek Discovery Season 4 (2023)
House of the Dragon Season 1 (2023)
Strange New Worlds Season 1 (2023)
Star Trek Picard Season 2 (2023)
Twilight Zone Archives Expansion (2023)
Twin Peaks Archives Expansion (2023)
The Umbrella Academy Archives (2023)

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Lea Thompson was in an episode of Picard and directed two episodes. When I met her we discussed signing cards and seemed open if she were to be approached for the RA set.

I will most likely go all in for House of the Dragon. Discovery is the only other fresh title coming from RA.

From an autograph perspective who is still around from Dr Who S1-4? I have no doubt that RA could make a very beautiful set covering this time frame. Maybe more sketches?

Given the aging cast members this seems like a bad starting point, especially with as slow as card production is going these days.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
Presumably, that's reboot Seasons 1 to 4 of Doctor Who rather than the original William Hartnell Series 1 to 4 from back in the 60s Smile

That would make more sense but then again RA IS dragging out another TZ set. Wink

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
From an autograph perspective who is still around from Dr Who S1-4? I have no doubt that RA could make a very beautiful set covering this time frame. Maybe more sketches?

Given the aging cast members this seems like a bad starting point, especially with as slow as card production is going these days.

I can only talk about what I see, and others may have different experiences where they live, but RA's Doctor Who in both editions is still on the shelf at $75 a box where I am.

A look at eBay has even the few signers I knew before very reasonable. I pulled a Cumming, thought that was pretty good value, and saw the card up at $40 on eBay. I still like the card and the actor, but box content even with a limited card and reduced price wasn't box cost.

I don't know how Doctor Who is a viable title for RA when the premiere set has only one signer, Jodie Whittaker, in any sort of real demand. That's just my observation of course.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If they can get Eccleston , Tennant , and Piper then the set should be popular ( in the UK for sure ) . I would rate all of those above Whittaker in terms of value for on card signing .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
They’ve got Eccleston and Tennant. Don’t know about Piper. They were on display at Philly this past October.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
They’ve got Eccleston and Tennant. Don’t know about Piper. They were on display at Philly this past October.

On the RA boards Steve has said that Piper signed also, along with duals of Piper with Tennant and Piper with Eccleston. This set is going to be a big hit I think. It's certainly going to do much better than the previous set. I may get in on a pre-order but I want to see first which of the big cards are going to be case incentives and archive box exclusives.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm getting confused by the number of Seasons and the number of Doctors? Are you saying that Doctor Who S1-S4 cards will start with Eccleston as the 9th Doctor and run thru Tennant as the 10th Doctor?

I had thought they would be going back prior to that, but I guess not. That makes the whole series a lot shorter to cover.

Tennant is the best known here I would think, but his Star Wars Masterworks autograph card with the animated character is a great buy, if you just want to have his signature.

I don't know that it will be a big hit, but it will be a bigger hit than the last one just by virtue of having more stars.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven,

The original Dr. Who had 26 seasons (1963-1989) and there have been 13 seasons since, starting in 2005.

The most recent doctor, played by Jodie Whittaker was the 13th Doctor.

For those of you who missed the last episode cliffhanger, she morphed back into David Tennant, the 10th Doctor.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
For those of you who missed the last episode cliffhanger, she morphed back into David Tennant, the 10th Doctor.

Yes, but the producers have already announced who they have hired for the next Doctor, so Tennant won't be around too long. Seems like they are trying to reconnect with an audience that may have partially drifted away in recent years by bringing back an old favorite for a shot in the arm. Wink

Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I have one of those horrible sticker autographs of Billie Piper from the Topps set with the extra long cards, so I would like an on-card one of her eventually.
I was disappointed she never signed for the Penny Dreadful set...mind you the autographs were a bit thin on the ground in that CZE title.

I always thought that the S1-4 RA meant was the new seasons from Eccleston onwards. If so there could be some more little gems from the guest actors that popped up here and there. Well if you watch a lot of British TV and your name isn't Raven. Wink Big Grin It would be a steal if they could get Kylie Minogue...I'm doubting it, but who knows? Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
Well if you watch a lot of British TV and your name isn't Raven. Wink Big Grin

I do try to keep up with the mysteries. Just finished "Magpie Murders" and would love an autograph card from Lesley Manville.

I'd need to sign up with Britbox to figure out who all the "EastEnders" are over the last 37 years, or where the East End is for that matter. Big Grin

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

[or where the East End is for that matter.

Big Grin

Ahhh now i can help you there, if you watched the olympics when it was here that is the east end.

Gor blimey it's down ya west ham innit. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I'm getting confused by the number of Seasons and the number of Doctors? Are you saying that Doctor Who S1-S4 cards will start with Eccleston as the 9th Doctor and run thru Tennant as the 10th Doctor?

The post 2005 run of shows are referred to as 'Series 1-13' rather than 'Seasons', which is reserved for the 1963-89 stories.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
The post 2005 run of shows are referred to as 'Series 1-13' rather than 'Seasons', which is reserved for the 1963-89 stories.

I see, thanks.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Gor blimey it's down ya west ham innit. Thumb Up

Ahh, there's that other thing about watching British/UK TV. Some of you people can't speak English, even when you're speaking English. Big Grin Wavey