Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    HP: OOTP Mad Eye Redemption
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HP: OOTP Mad Eye Redemption
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I hate to think of what Artbox could have chosen as a replacement: Death Eaters with non-speaking roles, Hogwarts students with non-speaking roles, son of a werewolf and auror who didn't even appear in the film because his scene was cut...

Oh, wait, they've all ready done those. Wink

When you think about it, it must have been difficult to find the right replacement. Not only did they need a fairly "big" character, the actor also had to be willing to sign more than 200 cards (Jeff Allender estimated the Gleeson redemption numbered around 235) and Warner Bros. had to approve the whole thing.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Ill be flipping mine for what I paid on the Mad Eye redemption so its all good in the end.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's been so long since I sent in my redemption, I've moved three times! Seriously, I don't remember which address I put down on the redemption. I wonder if Artbox sent out the cards to everyone all ready, or if I have time to email them and tell them that my address has changed. Honestly, I never thought it would be resolved, so I never took the time to update my address with them... grr...

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rns91294
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who feel it is a comparable autograph. When the original Gleeson card was released (the one he actually signed) it was NOT selling for $200-$600. The fact that Artbox came through, regardless of how late, is something great itself. The fact that they were able to get a main character to sign a brand new card they created just for this is even better. Like kbmum said, it could have been a nameless character just to "get something out". Personally, I love this Gambon auto and would not mind owning it. I think it is one of the nicest looking cards he signed!

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
In terms of market value a Gleeson autograph does beat a Gambon, but this Gleeson never existed, so the Gambon variant has to win. Big Grin

This is a great point too. We can't go saying what the value of a card that never existed would be.

Honestly, I just think that there are some people who will never be happy, no matter what. Think about it, this late in the game, you should just be happy Artbox did something rather than nothing.

Posts: 183 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: July 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be sure, those of differing viewpoints on this issue are taking one possible definition of what the word 'comparable" means and running with it. I can agree that the Gambon and Gleeson are comparable in terms of their stature on the HP movie series and yet I can also agree they aren't comparable when Artbox autograph market value is the prime consideration.
On a related point however, justice delayed is justice denied. It always has been. It always will be. My gripe with Artbox wouldn't be the Gambon for Gleeson exchange but rather the amount of time it took them to begin sorting out this ignominious affair.

Posts: 19 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringott:
To be sure, those of differing viewpoints on this issue are taking one possible definition of what the word 'comparable" means and running with it. I can agree that the Gambon and Gleeson are comparable in terms of their stature on the HP movie series and yet I can also agree they aren't comparable when Artbox autograph market value is the prime consideration.

I don't think anybody would disagree with you that in terms of current market value, they don't compare so well. However I think is is unreasonable to expect any card company use market value as their 'prime consideration' when offering a replacement, because it is forever fluctuating. I.e. what value do they put on the card? The value of a Gleeson GOF card when the redemption card came out 3 years ago or the value of a Gleeson GOF card today? If a Gleeson fetches $500 today does that mean an Emma Watson card would be a more suitable replacement? I'd say a replacement of that sort would be a far more unreasonable expectation.

Artbox's prime considerations would likely be ease at which they could provide a suitable replacement (i.e. get a decent actor to sign enough for them); the comparable price of getting said replacement to sign for them (I'm sure they want to keep costs down); significance of character in the film series; stature of actor in their profession.

quote:
On a related point however, justice delayed is justice denied. It always has been. It always will be. My gripe with Artbox wouldn't be the Gambon for Gleeson exchange but rather the amount of time it took them to begin sorting out this ignominious affair.

Given that Gambon is clearly such a willing signer one wonders why it would take Artbox so long to get this Gleeson fiasco sorted out.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard, Artbox first tried to negotiate on its own with Gleeson. That didn't work. Warner Bros. became involved. That didn't work. Artbox then had to find a new signer, come up with a new design for the card and get WB's approval. Should it have taken three years? No. But, who's at fault, Artbox or WB? The big sticking point with all of the HP cards for quite a few years has been WB's slow approval process, one that became slower and more difficult with each release. Some of the HP releases were late not because of Artbox, but because WB took so long approving all of the cards.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rns91294
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember how much the GOFU Gleeson auto sold for when it first released? I am not talking about the redemption, I am talking about the actual card that was signed and inserted in to sets. The reason it sells for so much now is because it is the ONLY one he signed, but when it first came out, it didn't sell for as much.

Posts: 183 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: July 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
The Yak Shack price guide has the info. For the first couple of months after GOF was released, the auto ranged from $80 to $110. Eventually, it settled in the $40-$50 range. The price started going over $200 in spring 2010.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am curious what kind of contract the celebs have when it comes to signing. How can Brendan refuse to sign something that he had a contract to sign? Did he get paid in advance to sign these? I am curious.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I remember when the Gleeson card first came out it was going for about £40. When my gf pulled the card from her single box at the time of release she was pleased she got a decent auto but moreso beacuse it covered the cost of the box. It certainly wasn't the pull it is now!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of TWS
posted Hide Post
I sent in my Gleeson the day I got the cards but still don't have the replacement. Maybe they are doing them in Alphabetical order which means I'll be about last.. Frankly I'll take anything instead of nothing at all.

Posts: 2099 | Location: none | Registered: September 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
From what I've heard, Artbox first tried to negotiate on its own with Gleeson. That didn't work. Warner Bros. became involved. That didn't work. Artbox then had to find a new signer, come up with a new design for the card and get WB's approval. Should it have taken three years? No. But, who's at fault, Artbox or WB? The big sticking point with all of the HP cards for quite a few years has been WB's slow approval process, one that became slower and more difficult with each release. Some of the HP releases were late not because of Artbox, but because WB took so long approving all of the cards.

From whom did you hear this in regards to Warner Brothers slow process of approval? What I once heard, directly from an Artbox employee on the phone, was that they believed it was "probable the cards sent to Gleeson were lost in the mail". This was back in late 2008. When I pressed them about a year later all I got was, "we're not sure where the cards are".

Posts: 19 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

quote:
I don't think anybody would disagree with you that in terms of current market value, they don't compare so well. However I think is is unreasonable to expect any card company use market value as their 'prime consideration' when offering a replacement, because it is forever fluctuating. I.e. what value do they put on the card? The value of a Gleeson GOF card when the redemption card came out 3 years ago or the value of a Gleeson GOF card today? If a Gleeson fetches $500 today does that mean an Emma Watson card would be a more suitable replacement? I'd say a replacement of that sort would be a far more unreasonable expectation.

Artbox's prime considerations would likely be ease at which they could provide a suitable replacement (i.e. get a decent actor to sign enough for them); the comparable price of getting said replacement to sign for them (I'm sure they want to keep costs down); significance of character in the film series; stature of actor in their profession.

True, trading card values are in constant flux, however if memory serves me there are adequate sources by which to determine a cards approximate CURRENT value. To be fair, if Artbox can also determine the intial approximate value of the card, it would then be easy to find a middle ground between the two.

As far as comparable values then, while Watson would be a bit unreasonable, there's NO reason that the Gleeson could not be replaced with the Gambon autograph AND something additional given the moderate disparity AND the three+ year wait for collectors who pulled or otherwise obtained and mailed in redemptions.

quote:

Given that Gambon is clearly such a willing signer one wonders why it would take Artbox so long to get this Gleeson fiasco sorted out.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
quote:
From whom did you hear this in regards to Warner Brothers slow process of approval? What I once heard, directly from an Artbox employee on the phone, was that they believed it was "probable the cards sent to Gleeson were lost in the mail". This was back in late 2008. When I pressed them about a year later all I got was, "we're not sure where the cards are".

Mike Simon told me when he was still working for Artbox (yes, the problems with WB started that long ago). I have another trusted source who told me about the situation getting worse since then.

When someone at Artbox told you it was possible the cards were lost, did he or she mean that they were lost on their way to Gleeson or that the signed ones were lost on their way back to Artbox?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
The impression I was given during my phone call process was that they were signed and being shipped to Artbox...eventually it changed to one of many other excuses.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As you have read. I had been waiting for a few years for my Gleeson card to come from Artbox. I recently got the Gambon replacement. So the other night I read that "Safe House" was having its premiere in NYC. Liam Cunningham is in it and I needed his auto. But, I brought some other cards just case. It was near impossible to get to the celebs. Even some of the professional autograph guys said it was pretty bad. But, luckily I was able to get one autograph.... Smile

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Card Dude
posted Hide Post
On a similar but unrelated subject, does anyone know if the Deathly Hallows Part 1 auto redemptions are still being redeemed?

I have one but it expired about a month ago

Posts: 1117 | Location: UK | Registered: December 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post