Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    My James Bond Autograph Collection
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My James Bond Autograph Collection
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
You did way better on the price than me, patience is a virtue and all that!

Many of the Bond autographs seem to be dropping in price and by dropping I mean they are reaching good value in line with the current level of demand. It's not for every signer that has hit an over $100 auto and it's not for every auto card of every signer that has hit an over $100 auto, but looking at the eBay sales list, there have been some really good bargains made on names you wouldn't expect to see. Maybe not on their best Bond auto card, but on one of their Bond autos.

All part of the changing of the guard. Unlike what we experienced with the vintage card market, time is not decreasing supply and increasing demand. Supply is remaining constant, as these modern hits are carefully handled and not subject to careless destruction. Demand is decreasing as newer and hotter subjects come along. As holding collectors decide to sell off, the prices must drop to meet the remaining level of demand of people that couldn't or wouldn't pay for these cards before. Only the best of the best are going to hold their peak values and only on some of their cards. So don't expect the likes of Janssen to drop, but the likes of Craig already have.

Any moment, including on eBay, is only of one snapshot in time.

I think with things like this there are too many variables to be certain as to what the main reasons are for peaks and troughs. I think that with RA not putting out sets for 2 years now, collectors lose pace to keep plugging away at their collection (I know I have). But mainly I think it is because we have not seen a new Bond film in 4 years. Get the next one in cinemas, and with all the ceaseless press that goes with it, and people/collectors get caught up in the excitement again.

Recently I've seen some very soft BIN prices where money was definitely left on the table. Chase, costumes and autos.
As for the 'bigger' cards... I think it depends on the specific card (picture etc.) and who happens to see it.
The most recent Skyfall FB Craig went for $128, and last month the same seller sold one for $218. Most tend to skew more towards the lower price but another recent one in that range had a horrible signature and another came from another seller who only uses stock photos (a big turn off for some buyers).

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
X, unless my eyes deceive me, you two have variants from Lonsdale. Your signature is done in print style, RPO1's is in script.

I imagine owing to the pen. He signed an 8x10 for me as well and his auto on that was more like RP01's.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
You did way better on the price than me, patience is a virtue and all that!

Many of the Bond autographs seem to be dropping in price and by dropping I mean they are reaching good value in line with the current level of demand. It's not for every signer that has hit an over $100 auto and it's not for every auto card of every signer that has hit an over $100 auto, but looking at the eBay sales list, there have been some really good bargains made on names you wouldn't expect to see. Maybe not on their best Bond auto card, but on one of their Bond autos.

All part of the changing of the guard. Unlike what we experienced with the vintage card market, time is not decreasing supply and increasing demand. Supply is remaining constant, as these modern hits are carefully handled and not subject to careless destruction. Demand is decreasing as newer and hotter subjects come along. As holding collectors decide to sell off, the prices must drop to meet the remaining level of demand of people that couldn't or wouldn't pay for these cards before. Only the best of the best are going to hold their peak values and only on some of their cards. So don't expect the likes of Janssen to drop, but the likes of Craig already have.

Any moment, including on eBay, is only of one snapshot in time.

I think with things like this there are too many variables to be certain as to what the main reasons are for peaks and troughs. I think that with RA not putting out sets for 2 years now, collectors lose pace to keep plugging away at their collection (I know I have). But mainly I think it is because we have not seen a new Bond film in 4 years. Get the next one in cinemas, and with all the ceaseless press that goes with it, and people/collectors get caught up in the excitement again.

Recently I've seen some very soft BIN prices where money was definitely left on the table. Chase, costumes and autos.
As for the 'bigger' cards... I think it depends on the specific card (picture etc.) and who happens to see it.
The most recent Skyfall FB Craig went for $128, and last month the same seller sold one for $218. Most tend to skew more towards the lower price but another recent one in that range had a horrible signature and another came from another seller who only uses stock photos (a big turn off for some buyers).

While I don't disagree with any of your individual points X, I do think that there is an obvious downward price trend for older certified autographs cards and repeat signers now. I say that as a general observation, not merely limited to Bond products.

Although I have dabbled quite a bit in Bond autograph cards, the title I really like and know better is Game of Thrones. Because they both are or were by RA, Bond autographs were really the model for the much smaller and less expensive GoT universe. GoT autos, while much younger in years, are going through very similar price adjustments. On average auto cards of the main stars were coming out $149 - $189 in the beginning. With repeat signings, those same actors are now being bought in the $75 - $125. I don't mean the same cards necessarily, although some are, but the same actor with the same autograph. Except for a few that have signed very little, like Clarke, the big stars are not commanding big autograph prices anymore and a reliance on dual autographs, limited cuts and auto/relics is the current substitute for the problem.

For Bond, mid-level actors are just as telling of the trend, if not more so because there are a lot more of them. Autograph cards in the $49 - $79 range now are very good names that used to be found in the $89 - $129 type range when they first appeared. Many female stars with names like St. John, Adams, Dench, Yeoh, Hatcher, Seydoux, Seymour, even that great actress Denise Richards Big Grin seem to have been effected a lot and can be found with significant reductions from their start.

So I do think that the idea that the accumulation of even limited certified autographs is taking its toll across the board is very real. Sure there are collectors who value the card over the autograph, but there is a good portion of the demand made up of people looking for the autograph only. Once they have one in a title, they are done. Subsequent repeats have fewer takers, translating into fewer people bidding it up or keeping it up. It is a snapshot in time, but it is also a direction that would seem to be supported by trackable data.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have all of the RA Bond autos in my collection, aside from the Connery cut auto from 2017, and the 3 unreleased ones, discussed above

In your opinion, which are the 5 most desirable autos/most in demand/hottest ones ? I really don't know, as once I obtained them I just put them in my binders and never looked back.

Just wondering.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I have all of the RA Bond autos in my collection, aside from the Connery cut auto from 2017, and the 3 unreleased ones, discussed above

In your opinion, which are the 5 most desirable autos/most in demand/hottest ones ? I really don't know, as once I obtained them I just put them in my binders and never looked back.

Just wondering.

Wow, that's stunning. I'm assuming you mean everything, including all the various case incentives done over the years. The full total for RA Bond autographs stands at 726 cards, covering 290 different signers, quite a few of whom have sadly passed on.

So I don't really think you can limit to only a top 5 because there are so many iconic roles in this series and some of the more expensive autograph cards are really not the most important for me. Also my preference was always full bleeds, so I always like them better than the other styles and I don't like any with the gold signatures.

Top of my list would be any of the 3 cards from Famke Janssen, with a nod to the FB. She is the most popularly desirable auto I think, over even the Bond actors themselves.

Then the one off card from Barbara Bach, WA3. Try to find that one.

For me, a lesser price, but I really nice card would be Rosamund Pike. She is a fine actress, she signed only once and it doesn't come up much.

Honor Blackman, nothing more iconic than ***** Galore. Her best card would be the 18 case incentive from 2016, but she has 5 others to chose from too.

Ursula Andress is even more difficult with only 2 cards done. She is just as important in Bond lore.

The 2 Duals I like, both multiple case incentives, are the Moore/Kiel and Craig/Dench combos. Not the most expensive of the duals I think, but the best relationships on screen.

Finally, any and all James Bonds are a must. For me I liked Moore and Brosnan best. Even though Roger Moore has died and the death bounce has been added, he signed a lot. There are actually 17 autograph cards that feature Roger Moore throughout the RA series. All are limited and some are very short incentives, but it's a bigger selection than anyone.

For me there are some really nice names that are well worth the price because they are good actors with lots of other notable work. People like Dench, Marceau, Yeoh, Lee, MacNee, Baker, too many to try to remember really.

And those that look like big stars to come, Seydoux, Harris and Whislaw.

I really think the RA Bond cards have the greatest autograph line up ever assembled. I know some may say its Star Wars or anything Marvel connected, but Bond went back far enough to have classics that can't be compared to current flash-in-the-pans.

If your collection is only missing the Connery cut, you might think about getting one while they can still be found. You could always put it up as the complete run some day. I seriously doubt anyone could find the whole collection in one shot, short of RA's own vault maybe.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
This is all extremely interesting.
What is the one off card, Barbara Bach, WA3, you referred to?

EDIT - I just counted my Rittenhouse Bond autos and came up with 543. I quit around 2014 when I became discouraged by the EL cards, the parallels and the retro cards - it was just too much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cardaddict,

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Raven, I have them all, aside from the Connery cut auto and the unreleased WA48 and A291 and A294.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
This is all extremely interesting.
What is the one off card, Barbara Bach, WA3, you referred to?

EDIT - I just counted my Rittenhouse Bond autos and came up with 543. I quit around 2014 when I became discouraged by the EL cards, the parallels and the retro cards - it was just too much.

Sorry if I confused you by saying one off, I just meant Bach only signed one card. The WA3 is in the Women of Bond series and I think I only saw it come up once about 10 years ago. It probably should be at the top of the list.

Yeah there have been a lot of RA Bond autographs since 2014. It did end up with 726 and 3 numbers unreleased.

David, that is an awesome accomplishment.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are at least two Bach WA3 autos on ebay now

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are at least two Bach WA3 autos on ebay now

Where are you seeing that David? I just looked on eBay and only insert cards and signed photos. No certified Bonds at all for her.

I do see where one sold on 2-9-19 for $200, which I find incredible. I would have bought it for that much myself. Big Grin The market may be soft, but it shouldn't be that soft.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My apologies.

They were 2 completed auctions, each of which ended in February.

Another 2 ended in December.

Looks like each sold in the $ 200 range

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I just looked up the WA3 in the Beckett Annual of 2017 and it lists for $150 - $300. I have seen so few that my own estimation was that it was worth more than that. Perhaps it's another case of a rare card not being worth what it should be because enough demand is just not there for it.

I mean Barbara Bach retired after marrying Ringo, so it's not like she did much more in her acting career. It always was a tough card though. I haven't been looking for it, but the recent sales appearances and a moderate price does fall in the line with what I was saying to X. Demand is down for older certified autograph cards and prices are adjusting downward too. Still a very important Bond auto as TSWLM was one of Moore's best and introduced Jaws.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Now I understand what you meant.
I'm glad I got the Bach auto when it was easy to afford.
That is quite an accomplishment David!!!
At least I have 2 of the Janssens, and the 15 case John Rhys-Davies and a few of the other hard to get ones. I'm missing a few key autos though. You have ALMOST, but not quite inspired me to go after the 183 I am missing. Hmmm, at $2 apiece, that wouldn't be so bad.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just wondering.

1. Famke Janssen FB no.1 - Dangerous Liaisons
2. Famke Janssen WOB #WA27 - Archives 2009
3. Denise Richards FB - Complete Bond
4. Ursula Andress 40th #A32 - Complete Bond
5. Famke Janssen 40th #A56 - Complete Bond

It's not the most varied list but those are the ones that seem to consistently pull in the most money when they occasionally pop up. I think there are fewer of the Janssen FB out than the WOB card but the latter never seems to come up for sale.

Numbers 4 & 5 can alternate and Andress' WOB card can go for equally strong money.

The John Rhys-Davies 15-Case FB is also a good contender for top 5 but his price has fluctuated more in recent years. The Bond girls seem to hold steady and have climbed over the years.

Plenty of others can also go for daft money (more than those listed above) if a collector wants it badly enough. Many previously difficult to get cards have since become impossible to find.

It's fantastic that you have managed to get nearly all of the autos David. Which are your favourite 5?

Mine would be:
1. Pierce Brosnan GoldenEye FB - Mission Logs
2. Roger Moore The Man With The Golden Gun FB - Archives 2014
3. Famke Janssen FB no.2 - Archives 2009
4. Famke Janssen WOB #WA27 - Archives 2009
5. Daniel Craig Skyfall FB - Archives 2014

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Do any of the Roger Moore, George Lazenby, Pierce Brosnan, or Daniel Craig autos go for alot ?

All 4 of those Bonds signed many cards for RA.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do any of the Roger Moore, George Lazenby, Pierce Brosnan, or Daniel Craig autos go for alot ?

All 4 of those Bonds signed many cards for RA.

They seem to fluctuate. They can all pull in good money, just not INSANE money that Janssen, Richards and Andress seem to.

Brosnan GoldenEye FB is the best of his.
For Craig it was always his CR FB but a fair few of them have popped up the last few years so prices have softened.
For Moore his incentives are the most expensive, arguably Bond in Motion being the toughest, but his TMWTGG FB incentive is nice, and his TSWLM FB is popular.
Lazenby's Archives 2009 FB is a hard one to find these days and has gone up in recent years.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Since Denise Richards is being mentioned as a top autograph pick, can someone tell me what is up with her 1999 Inkworks' World Is Not Enough card?

While her RA cards are going in the $250 - $400 range, despite her lack of acting career, the Inkworks' autograph card looks to be going under $50 in very recent sales on eBay. I think these are UK sellers. That card was gotten by redemption only, as were all the 6 signers offered.

So does anyone know why the Richards is showing up now and selling for so very little? Are all of them out there? Take a look at the sold cards in the last couple of months. Something is going on.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven,

Thank you for your kind words.

For each Bond set, I had a dealer put together a master set of each for me. However, I don't have any of the parallel foil cards that RA did on the later sets. None of those at all.

On the 2017 set, the dealer told me that he had 1 of the Connery cuts, but that another customer beat me to it, and asked for the card first. The cheapest I have seen that one sell for on ebay is in the $ 1000-1200 range.

I asked him and another dealer about the Upper Deck Bond set, and both told me that they wouldn't touch it, as they didn't know what the set involved, what there was in terms of chase, autos, etc. and they were afraid that putting together a master set would be too daunting

So I guess I will pass on the UD Bond, as I am not going to chase it down, piece by piece.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

I asked him and another dealer about the Upper Deck Bond set, and both told me that they wouldn't touch it, as they didn't know what the set involved, what there was in terms of chase, autos, etc. and they were afraid that putting together a master set would be too daunting

So I guess I will pass on the UD Bond, as I am not going to chase it down, piece by piece.

So I'm not posting in threads about UD products anymore, since I seem to be saying the same things over and over and they are not changing, just pushing it farther with every new product. However I can comment if a UD product comes up in other subjects, so wolfie, you can still hold me to it, but not here. Big Grin

I can see where it's tough on Bond collectors. You have to welcome the fact that someone is continuing Bond cards and I'm happy for the chance at getting more autographs, but a master UD Bond set really does seem impossible given its size.

There are 2 guaranteed autographs per box, which is very unlike UD and very much in line with RA's old model. Yet this is supposed to drop soon and no one knows who the signers are or what to expect for any numbers. And you have the whole e-Pack release that everyone knows will follow and at least some collectors are more interested in doing that than boxes/cases.

So I think there is just too much uncertainty for dealers to want to make too many promises or even know how much they want to stock themselves. That said, it would be great if you yourself could keep up at least the autograph list, since you have all the others except the cut. I would like to see new signers missed from the last 2 movies and more autographs from all the Bond actors and the popular ladies.

I'm sure there has to be some good opportunities for desirable cards in any future UD products. How deep old Bond collectors can go into it is TBD.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since Denise Richards is being mentioned as a top autograph pick, can someone tell me what is up with her 1999 Inkworks' World Is Not Enough card?

There were only six autographs in the Inkworks set, I seem to remember getting one in every two boxes I bought. None seemed to be particularly rarer than others, so it's just the case that there are a lot of these autographs out in the market.

By the time she signed for Rittenhouse, she signed much fewer cards per release. A similar story with the Judi Dench card.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post