Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    My James Bond Autograph Collection
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My James Bond Autograph Collection
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Deal was done off ebay so not much they can do about it. Shame as I have used the seller lots of time, figured they would be trustworthy.

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Name them and shame them, I say!

Posts: 12 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
Deal was done off ebay so not much they can do about it. Shame as I have used the seller lots of time, figured they would be trustworthy.

If the deal was initiated through PayPal you may still be covered if it was done via invoice.

Posts: 288 | Location: Behind the sofa! | Registered: April 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
drofdarb,

Sorry to hear about your family health issues. The importance of trading cards and other trinkets pale in comparison. Still, if you've been ripped off for what will have been A LOT of money I don't understand your restraint in naming them, and hope you will pursue the matter?

I have seen (the biggest?) UK dealer on eBay list some very good high end Bond cards recently, and at the highest BINs I have ever seen on eBay for most of them so I'm pretty sure I know who you're on about. If it is them, given their other inventory, I wouldn't have thought they'd be short of the money.
Anyway, it's speculation until you name them. If it is them, it is conveniently shady they only ever use stock images so will not have pictures of the stolen goods in their listings.

I wouldn't want the rarest card in the world to finish my collection if it came from a dealer who stole it from another collector. I would do all collectors reading a favour and steer us clear of dealers like this who no-one should deal with. Start a thread with the details in the title, so it doesn't get buried in this conversation thread. Do the same on Blowout's forums too.

I do wish you would have offered some cards to the community first, there are some, I for one, would have offered you surely better than cheap dealer offers? Regardless, I do hope you get the right resolution to this situation.

Do you have any written correspondence with them outlining the deal, pics of the cards sent, the proof of postage etc.? Forget PayPal I'd be contacting the police/take them to small claims court.

Have you pressed them on the matter?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Thanks for the post, another dealer in the UK contacted me, a very reputable dealer, Dave from Premier Cards to see if he could help.

He mentioned someone else is having trouble getting a response form the dealer in question so there is a possibility of travel being involved. Might just be bad business practice rather than criminal intent.

I will give it another week and see what happens. This is the 4th week now so we will see.

Brad

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
Hi,

Thanks for the post, another dealer in the UK contacted me, a very reputable dealer, Dave from Premier Cards to see if he could help.

He mentioned someone else is having trouble getting a response form the dealer in question so there is a possibility of travel being involved. Might just be bad business practice rather than criminal intent.

I will give it another week and see what happens. This is the 4th week now so we will see.

Brad

Or they could be dealing with a family emergency too?

But are they still paying their mortgage or their bills?

Don't let common decency on your part cloud matters, or allow for poor excuses.

It doesn't take 4 weeks for ANYBODY to send an email or pick up the phone. It takes what, a minute to do a BACS transfer or send money through PayPal. I wouldn't give anybody 4 weeks if it were my money.

I hope it comes good in the end.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I hope you get your money!

On a semi-related note, why is the Mads Mikelsen autograph from THE COMPLETE JAMES BOND so high priced on E-bay? Is it just wishful thinking on the part of the seller?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I hope you get your money!

On a semi-related note, why is the Mads Mikelsen autograph from THE COMPLETE JAMES BOND so high priced on E-bay? Is it just wishful thinking on the part of the seller?

That seller has always had a habit of asking, IMO, ludicrous prices for the 'best' stuff.

Thing is, because the prices are so high, stuff usually sits for a long time and that makes them the dealer that always has that card that can't be found anywhere else. Often a buyer with either too much money, and/or no other sold auctions to compare against, comes along does buy at their prices.

You can make the argument that if someone is willing to pay it that it must be worth that much, but and having watched sold Bond eBay listings for years, this seller plucks sky high figures out of thin air that are ALWAYS higher than recent/typical averages that have ever been seen for almost every single 'high-end' card they sell.

Also when they run auctions on such cards, they ALWAYS end at very high prices, even with stock photos. I won't go near them, any seasoned eBay buyer could figure out why. Even large volume US dealers who ship worldwide can have bad days on auctions for the best cards, but not this seller.

I find it irritating as well because, IMO, they have been one of the major factors in pushing up the asking prices of loads of desirable cards, and not just Bond. It encourages other dealers to follow suit and should a collector release that rare gem from their collection, they are only prepared to accept the insane asking price too!

That said, Bond is a major franchise with a lot of history and die-hard fans. A lot of once reasonably priced cards have gone up in price dramatically. Mads Mikkeksen is one in particular. He only signed once for RA/Bond and has done very well for himself: besides being a great villain in one of the best regarded Bond films, he has gone on to star in Hannibal, become part of the Marvel cinematic universe, and of course a significant character in Star Wars, and he has had no official cards for those latter properties (and those genre card collectors have £££$$$ to burn).

I bought his Complete Bond 40th style auto in 2007 (at release) for £33/$50, and he was not a tough card to get back then. He was a £70/$100 card for a long time, give or take, but in this last year or two he's really shot up, but to £200/$280 MAX.

....But this seller wants £440/$610 for it? Yes, cardaddict, they are chancing their arm.
All you need is one desperate collector... and hey presto, it's now a '$600 card' Twak

I still need his full-bleed auto but will not pay stupid money off the back of sellers like this.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that detailed reply! I did not even realize Mads was in those other franchises. I stopped collecting Bond after the 2016 Classics, due to lack of funds and a growing dissatisfaction with the hobby, but it's still interesting to see some of my older cards increase in value.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for that detailed reply! I did not even realize Mads was in those other franchises. I stopped collecting Bond after the 2016 Classics, due to lack of funds and a growing dissatisfaction with the hobby, but it's still interesting to see some of my older cards increase in value.

No problem. A LOT the auto cards from Dangerous Liaisons and Complete Bond in particular have really gone up in value quite a bit.

I know you were always a completest but have you ever thought of trimming some stuff out/picking up the odd random new card?

It rejuvenated me/my collecting when I thought of packing it all in. Thumb Up

posted Hide Post
I had to wait from one dealer when I sold my sketches it took over 8 days for payment to arrive , hope yours arrives soon.

Posts: 50 | Location: U.K | Registered: August 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

No problem. A LOT the auto cards from Dangerous Liaisons and Complete Bond in particular have really gone up in value quite a bit.

I know you were always a completest but have you ever thought of trimming some stuff out/picking up the odd random new card?

It rejuvenated me/my collecting when I thought of packing it all in. Thumb Up

I thought about picking up the odd autograph here and there, but my enthusiasm is now nill. Maybe I'll get back in the groove, who knows?

posted Hide Post
So all good, just got paid. No need to name and shame which I wasn't overly comfortable with anyway. Dealer is reputable just a bit lax in communicating.. lol.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Good!

Just don't forget to send me my 10 percent advisor's fee on this, even though I didn't advise you. I just want the money.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Good!

Just don't forget to send me my 10 percent advisor's fee on this, even though I didn't advise you. I just want the money.

Of course, if you could just send me your bank account details and a small amount of money to cover some administrative costs then I can send the money straight over..

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it's all sorted.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse revamped their website this week and in their "Archived Licences" section you'll find James Bond.

Steve at RA has been very upfront at the challenges of getting new signers at this point and that they won't be producing Bond cards for now. Still, very weird to see it not listed as a 'current' licence - do they no longer have the licence?
After 15 years of Bond card sets from them, 2018 is the first year without something new. Hard to believe and I do wonder if we will see anything else once Bond 25 comes out.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of un-licensed Bond cards on ebay right now. Maybe nobody has the license.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
There is a lot of un-licensed Bond cards on ebay right now. Maybe nobody has the license.

So a current search of James Bond trading cards on eBay resulted in 14,729 listings. Most are autograph cards or boxes. Quick look saw no unlicensed ones, maybe they are somewhere else. Lots of erosion on the auto prices, I haven't really looked at these in awhile.

Anyway, hardly seems any reason to produced any unlicensed Bond cards, is there? Wink

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:

So a current search of James Bond trading cards on eBay resulted in 14,729 listings. Most are autograph cards or boxes. Quick look saw no unlicensed ones,

These are uk auctions and there are about a dozen or more, look home made.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post