Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    My James Bond Autograph Collection
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My James Bond Autograph Collection
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Are you suggesting that RA may be giving up the Bond license, or worse? Because I have not heard that anywhere.

Bond is still a living franchise, as is Star Trek and especially Game of Thrones. RA may have lost Marvel, but there are other options out there. Maybe RA is just taking its time picking new titles to go with the old staples.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
When "X" asked "Any more details?" I took it to be a question along the lines of "what is the source of the rumor?" -- that is, how much confidence should we place in it?

Did you hear it from an industry source?
A random anonymous poster on another board?
Did you make it up youself to keep the thread interesting?

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
It's in the latest issue of NSU on page 25 for upcoming releases for the major manufacturers.

To quote the paragraph:
'Then in June, 2017 James Bond Archives: Final Edition Trading Cards. Charendoff says "This will be our last Bond Archives set, completing the run of full sets of movie cards for every classic Bond film."'

So it could be seen as the last Bond set ever...OR...the last 'Archives' type of set and maybe a move to a different format.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, if this is the end of the Classic Films, then what is left to do ?

Haven't the Daniel Craig films pretty much been covered ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
There is only so many times you can put the same images out over and over again and call it something diffrent.

Having said that Bond has not reached star wars saturation yet and they are still selling well so who knows.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On a related note, I read an article on line by the fellows who have written the past 6 Bond films, and they claim that they are totally devoid of new ideas, that they have no clue as to a plot for the 25th Bond film, as everything has been done to death.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have yet to receive my copy of NSU for Feb/March 2017. On RA's website they are not even mentioning Bond for 2017 yet, Archives 2016 the Spectre Edition is still fairly new.

You can read that statement a couple of different ways. I think there have been 4 sets released with the Bond Archives title, 2009, 2014, 2015, and 2016. There have been many others including Quotable, Complete, In Motion, Mission Logs, Heroes & Villains, Dangerous Liaisons, Anniversary, Autographs & Relics, and 007 CLASSICS. Not to mention any Expansions.

In short, RA can make up any title it wants to for a Bond set. So I agree with Hedgehog Witch, you don't have to assume its the final Bond product from RA, just the last one with Archives in the title.

Should Steve be more specific about it? Well since he seems to have put it in NSU himself, yes. If he doesn't clarify what he meant, people are free to interpret it anyway they see fit. So maybe someone should just go and ask him. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The next Bond set will contain metal cards M13 to M24, a continuation of M1-12 from the 2016 set

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I quit trying to complete the Bond sets about 4 or 5 sets ago. Too many cards, too many EXPENSIVE cards, too many boxes with not enough hits in them, and most of all too FEW dollar bills floating around here. I love the Bond sets and wish I could keep going on them, so maybe this will give me a chance to catch up some.

I can't believe they've run out of plots. Pay me a hundred thou or so and I'll come up with a good idea, or maybe even three.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Yes, what Bill said... "talk" from who? From where?

Thanks to Hedgehog Witch for posting the excerpt.
If the set title was all we had to go on then I would be thinking this was the last set ever. But with Steve's additional comments, I think it just means the final set where throwback sets are the main theme.

Completely agree with you Wolfie that rehashing the same images makes for stale sets.
I'm surprised that RA have blasted through all the classic movies so fast, with most releases featuring 4 film sets. They could have easily done 2 or 3 films per release, especially seeing as parallel sets were included, making the previous releases easier to build and extending the concept in the process.

I know the throwbacks have had their critics but I love new imagery and base sets for films that never originally had cards made back in the day. I think, along with such a deep autograph series, the throwbacks sets are the best thing any manufacturer has ever done for Bond cards.

But what comes next? I would like to see a second Women of Bond set heavy on key WOB autos that have clearly been stockpiled at RA over the last few years. Beyond that I don't have much interest in compilation sets these days.

For Archives 2017 I think it makes sense Die Another Day should be one of the last sets made as it was RA's first Bond movie set, and it will be good to have a new set without restricted imagery. The remaining 3 throwbacks obviously being For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, and A View To A Kill. Very Roger Moore heavy and I wonder seeing as he is 90 this year if that is deliberate or just coincidental.

No doubt we will be treated to a full bleed of him from FYEO or OP, but I think it would be nice to have some sort of tribute chase set to him, he carried the series for longer than anyone and he has been a great participant in RA's Bond sets.

Not to go on too much of a tangent but never been a big fan of the writers Purvis & Wade, everything from TWINE through to SPECTRE have been personal/revenge films. They're out of ideas because they're one note wonders. Look how much of TWINE was ripped off in Skyfall! Time for new blood. Someone fresh will have an idea.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe the license is up for renewal and someone else outbid them ? I am just guessing. If someone does make a new set, hopefully it won't be like what Topps did with the Dr. Who cards, with a ton of chase and autos which are impossible to collect

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Just that the 2017 set may very well be the last

After trying to collect a full bleed cast book, having never enough in a set, and including too many repeat signers, then being told it's on going, full bleed are way behind 40th anniv, lets make sure we get all the back stock at least before they quit, I have some good ideas for subsets.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
RA have had the licence going on 15 years now - I'd guess the licensors are satisfied with what RA are putting out.

Assuming RA don't manage it, unless a new licence holder could get Auger, Wakabayashi, Rigg, Lonsdale, Bouquet, Walken, Coltrane, Eva Green, Bardem, Waltz, Dalton and Connery (who ANY company would have trouble convincing to sign) could another company make anything worth getting excited about? They'd just be repeating what RA have done, on yet another style of card, and less thoroughly (because of deceased actors).

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't know what card maker could do a better job on Bond than RA has done and should continue to do. Least anybody forget, "on card autographs". Would anyone really prefer stickers?

As for the rest, I have read nothing here but speculation based possibly on a rather vague statement. Some collectors regularly dialog with Steve, why not ask him point blank? Then we will know if we are talking about something or nothing. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I honestly don't know what card maker could do a better job on Bond than RA has done and should continue to do. Least anybody forget, "on card autographs". Would anyone really prefer stickers?

As for the rest, I have read nothing here but speculation based possibly on a rather vague statement. Some collectors regularly dialog with Steve, why not ask him point blank? Then we will know if we are talking about something or nothing. Wink

I agree with that, and even though Topps have started with on card auto's, I really wish RA had The Walking Dead licence from the start.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
RA have had the licence going on 15 years now - I'd guess the licensors are satisfied with what RA are putting out.

Assuming RA don't manage it, unless a new licence holder could get Auger, Wakabayashi, Rigg, Lonsdale, Bouquet, Walken, Coltrane, Eva Green, Bardem, Waltz, Dalton and Connery (who ANY company would have trouble convincing to sign) could another company make anything worth getting excited about? They'd just be repeating what RA have done, on yet another style of card, and less thoroughly (because of deceased actors).

Remember they said Aki (Wakabayashi) had gracefully declined because she damaged her hand in a car accident, auto's I would really like (aside from that list) would be Lola Larson (Bambi) and Putter Smith (Mr Kidd) from Diamonds and Everett McGill (Killifer) in Licence to kill also anyone from The World is not enough, such a recent film but with only six full bleed auto's.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The announcement of James Bond archives final edition, doesn't that just mean last of the archive edition ? seeing as there are only four films left to go with the retro sets ?

posted Hide Post
I hope it isn't the last Bond set ever, but my wallet would thank me. I am much happier since I gave up trying to get a complete master set with each release. I didn't even get the binder or base set for the last release. I just got all the full bleed autographed cards. I am still kicking myself for selling off a lot of my Bond collection because of the enormous expense of keeping up Instead of just paring down my collection to what I really liked. Now that I have focused solely on getting the full bleeds I have had a hard time replacing the cards that I previously sold. I was just able to purchase the Davies 15 case incentive card so I am stuck at needing 2 to complete my full bleed set. Unfortunately I still need the Famke DL card and the 6 case incentive card of Roger Moore from the in motion set. The Moore will be much easier to find and way less expensive, but still doesn't show up often. The Famke might end up being the card I never get back for my set. I keep hoping Steve will be able to add some signers that make me happy I stuck it out. I know the Bianchi card was extremely surprising to me. The Bond franchise is in good hands with RA and I hope that if cards continued to get made that they continue to be made by RA. If Topps or UD get their hands on it I will be done collecting for sure. I like my cards signed and not stickers affixed to a card.

Posts: 12 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree, I have all the different character full bleed (even kept David Harbour) cards and want it to be continuous, there's still a lot of catch up to go, the last time I saw that Famke on ebay it was £800.00

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
I agree, I have all the different character full bleed (even kept David Harbour) cards and want it to be continuous, there's still a lot of catch up to go, the last time I saw that Famke on ebay it was £800.00

Was just looking through some completed eBay listings and last month one of the Dangerous Liaisons Janssen autos sold (auction style) for £825/$1,030 Eek I think that is the most I have ever actually seen it sell for by a long way.

I know it's a mega rare card but I don't see the value in it myself.

And to think my dealer at release (2006) was asking £125 to pre-order (before everyone twigged how rare it was), which I thought was a bit rich for me.
And at the same time I turned down Cards Inc. trying to flog me one the only one they pulled for what I thought was the ridiculous price of £200.
And years later (in 2015) I missed a BIN listing for £150!

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the picture on her second full-bleed but I wish I'd got her DL card, I'd flip it in a heartbeat!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,