Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    More Post Office Madness
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Post Office Madness
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Small envelope mailed to me from the UK, to my Bayonne, NJ address.

Envelope was clearly marked. Seller did nothing wrong.

Instead it was sent to the Elizabeth, NJ post office, which is nowhere near Bayonne. Not even the same county. It's been sitting there for several days now, according to tracking, no movement whatsoever.

And with the way the post office works now, there is NO direct phone number to call this post office. Plus it has 4 locations, so who knows which branch it is at.

Madness !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You will get it. It will sit there with no status change, a few days or maybe a few weeks, then it will arrive unannounced without any tracking changed. There is no one to call.

I'm in NY and the NJ distribution corridor is how USPS tracked items ship to me. Same thing happens to me about half the time. If you can send things thru United Parcel, even if they take it only as far as the local PO, you will at least get it faster. USPS tracking slows the whole process down and gets you stuck in places.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'll give you a better one coming by Fed Ex, not USPS. Purchased from Target on April 4th, most things arrive in a week and nothing special bought. Shipped from Oregon on April 4th, don't know why it started in Oregon. It went in succession to Washington State, Montana, Minnesota and is now in Illinois as of yesterday. Its delivery date was today. Don't think that's happening since it's still about 1000 miles away.

My small package is taking a tour of the Southwest and I have no idea why. Target has free shipping, maybe Fed Ex is transporting by mule trail. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I live about 60 miles away from a certain well known small press publisher. Every time they send me a book, it has to travel over 360 miles to get to my house. That's just the way the system is set up.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It must be the same concept as it's cheaper to fly from the San Francisco area to Phoenix then another city like all the way out to Denver or Dallas and then to Reno than it is to fly directly from San Francisco to Reno, which is only about an hour flight. Maybe on the multi-stop flight you're riding with the mail and other mysteries and it all only makes sense at a global level somehow.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Artist
posted Hide Post
This is fummy! I received a small envelope couple days ago mail from Calif. I look at the postmark and it was dated October 2020. It took 6 months get to my P.O. Box. Are the post office delivery by ponies? The post office want more money every year?

Posts: 231 | Location: South of the border, TX, USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good Morning

I had to post a parcel this morning whose destination was only 5.4 miles away. (the recipient wanted it posted not hand delivered and they were paying the postage). Out of curiosity I asked the PO operative what route it would take to get there. He said the the sorting office for my area is 40 miles away. It is then sent to the sorting office of recipients area (which despite its closeness is 42 miles away from its location) The distance between these two sorting offices is 88 miles. Total travelling is 170 miles and all this because the Post Office has done away with local sorting offices. Note distances are approximate.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Over time I have learned that all mail in Mississippi goes to Jackson. So, If I mail a letter (say to my parents house approx. 5 miles away) then it will go 90 miles to Jackson then 90 miles back. 180 miles.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I ordered a card on April 12 and it is still a no-show. I haven't had any similar problems over the past year other than some slow service (a letter took 4 days to go 100 miles). I let the seller know and he just refunded my money not wanting to wait it out.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Despite being told we would be living in cardboard boxes and eating dirt when we left the European Union and Covid being used as a constant excuse for any shoddy service, I had a binder of cards reach me from Germany in less than 24 hours. Best transaction ever!

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is that how Brexit was summed up for you? I don't think it was ever explained on American television.

And please no more bragging about extraordinary service in the "More Post Office Madness" thread.

Jess

P.S. That's a joke. It's great when it's working for you and we all want to hear some good news.

quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Despite being told we would be living in cardboard boxes and eating dirt when we left the European Union and Covid being used as a constant excuse for any shoddy service, I had a binder of cards reach me from Germany in less than 24 hours. Best transaction ever!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
They forgot USPS: "Your package is in transit to the next facility."

For eternity. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'VE BEEN WAITING OVER A MONTH FOR A PACKAGE SHIPPED FROM FLORIDA. TRACKING SHOWS IT HAS NOT LEFT IT'S 2ND LOCATION IN 3 WEEKS. I FILED A LOSS REPORT AND HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM THE PO.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Here's more madness. Item sent via ebay global from USA - lost. Item sent via normal post from USA for $4 arrived. EBay have refunded me for the lost item less 1 cent!!!! Bizarre

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Just got my latest binder and cards package. Bouncey

Delivered to my door 24 hours after i won it. Eek

3 cheers for UPS. Clap

Postal madness in a good way for a change.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two purchases from eBay never arrive. One with tracking that stalled out after a few weeks (this was two months ago). The other shipped PWE and its whereabouts are a mystery. Both sellers sent refunds.

Also, I had some Star Wars cards from eBay arrive at my post office yesterday according to USPS tracking and then head right back out with a "Moved, Left no Address" notice only to return to my post office this morning where I picked them up.

The clerk behind the counter said sometimes this stuff happens. I'm just glad it didn't make it all the way back to the seller. I kind of want to know how it got routed back to me a second time, though.

Posts: 62 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's not like the old days when we had the same mailman for years. In the past year, I think we've had at least four different ones. We used to get the mail consistently in the late morning and often between 10 and 11am. In the past year it has come as early as that but rarely. It has come as late as 7-730 pm especially during the winter.

On our local news there was a story to partly explain the difficulty many restaurants have had finding employees as they adjust to the easing of COVID restrictions. Some people who used to be waiters have started working for the post office because the pay is better. I think some of the PO problems are simply because there are a lot of inexperienced people working there. The weird thing is there seem to be more problems now than around the holiday season.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I dont know wether this is in the right place or not but here goes.
Who decides what shipping costs for E Bays GSP are .
There are vast differences i what different sellers are charging to use this service , apparently there is no supervision or base rates for using this
For instance I have found
Binder $29.03
Single Card $29.03
How can this be it seems that the seller can charge what they like and E Bay really dont care because they get the money over the actual cost the seller is charged to post the article .
There are all sorts of costs that are being asked to ship via this system for items and no rules attached to them
E Bay are getting too greedy but there is no other platform around that can be used to create competition against them
They are a Global outfit and this is what we get from a Global company
Globilasion Stinks
My Rant for the Month.

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
I dont know wether this is in the right place or not but here goes.
Who decides what shipping costs for E Bays GSP are .
There are vast differences i what different sellers are charging to use this service , apparently there is no supervision or base rates for using this
For instance I have found
Binder $29.03
Single Card $29.03
How can this be it seems that the seller can charge what they like and E Bay really dont care because they get the money over the actual cost the seller is charged to post the article .
There are all sorts of costs that are being asked to ship via this system for items and no rules attached to them
E Bay are getting too greedy but there is no other platform around that can be used to create competition against them
They are a Global outfit and this is what we get from a Global company
Globilasion Stinks
My Rant for the Month.
If you are talking eBays Global Shipping Program then the problem lies mainly with the fact that the seller has no say in the charges. They are controlled and set by eBay which is why I have never used the service as a seller. All the fees are ridiculously high.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post