Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    More Post Office Madness
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Post Office Madness
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another issue is that just because it was supposedly "delivered", it does not mean that the package was brought to the correct address. The post office sometimes makes mistakes.

All the tracking shows is that the mailman delivered it to some location, and he pushed the button on his device to show that it was left.

Unfortunately, we no longer live in a world where friendly neighbors will bring the package over to you. If it was delivered to them, the cards are GONE forever.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Although it's still not an absolute guarantee, you have to ask for and pay for a signed delivery. In my neighborhood, if packages came either by the postal service trucks or UPS and no one was home, the packages went back into the trucks and a notice was left on the door. They then either re-delivered the next day or you had to go to the PO to hand pick up yourself.

Not anymore. If no one is home the packages are laid at the door. Anyone can see them and take them. In certain areas this won't fly well, but they don't care. They don't want to take the deliveries back and store the stuff until someone shows up, so it's delivered, it's put in the system and it's your problem if you didn't get it. I'm not sure if insurance will even pay once the PO claims proof that it got to the destination.

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We learned of a local incident, this occurred 2-3 years ago. Driver worked for UPS for 30 years

Despite the rules that a signature was required, he left packages on doorsteps when no one was home, as "everyone knew him", and he had friendly relationships with customers on his route. Everyone had his personal cell phone #

Well, one day that backfired. He left a package on a porch with $ 30,000 worth of silverware inside (knifes and forks), despite the signature requirement. The older lady complained that she never got it

He was fired, after 30 years on the job

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just to add a thought, it's also a result of the free shipping and reduced shipping that a lot of companies are now offering to stay competitive with each other. Those types of packages used to require signed delivery and now they don't either.

I don't even think the mailman rings my bell most of the time when he has a package in with the regular mail. They just leave it and go.

Posts: 10376 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just a friendly reminder that U.S. postal rates increase again in June 23, 2019.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
Just a friendly reminder that U.S. postal rates increase again in June 23, 2019.

Whatever the problems we have with Royal Mail in the UK there is no doubt USPS is far worse, certainly in terms of cost. I have just completed a single sketch card trade with a collector from the USA. His cost just for sending his card regular airmail was $14.25 while I sent my card tracked, signature on delivery, and insured up to £50 ($60) for £8.65 ( about $10 ) .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A seller from the UK sent me 2 cards in an envelope, July 2, and still nothing has come as of July 19. He did not use tracking

Does this seem like it's taking an unusual amount of time to get to the USA ?

Last month, the same seller sent me 2 other cards and they came within a week.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
With July 4th holiday in there and the weather, no. You'll still probably get it.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
A seller from the UK sent me 2 cards in an envelope, July 2, and still nothing has come as of July 19. He did not use tracking

Unfortunately, shipping to the USA from the UK can be like that. The worst case I have had, to date, was a regular airmail shipment taking 28 days to arrive at its destination in the USA. Most things take 7-14 days but there is no certainty of that. Without tracking, you just have to cross your fingers and hope....patiently.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

And I bet the shipping was cheap! If you want it guaranteed in a week pay the $20+ for tracked postage. If you want cheap untracked post wait up to 28 days for postage. I sent Christmas cards to USA last year and they got there in 5 days a birthday card took 28 days. Cheap post means variable delivery times (from USA too)

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

And I bet the shipping was cheap! If you want it guaranteed in a week pay the $20+ for tracked postage. If you want cheap untracked post wait up to 28 days for postage. I sent Christmas cards to USA last year and they got there in 5 days a birthday card took 28 days. Cheap post means variable delivery times (from USA too)
To be honest, paying extra for tracked postage doesn't mean it will arrive any faster but at least you can usually see where it has got to along the route. Well, apart from the time it spends in the Black Hole known as US Customs. I've had tracked items disappear into that for anything from two to 14 days Frown

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Found a nice sketch the seller is asking $32 to ship to the

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wuher:
Found a nice sketch the seller is asking $32 to ship to the

Virtually given up collecting now when a $12 card costs $25 to ship

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same problem, i've lost track of the number of cards i would just buy straight off but one look at the postage and that's the end of that.

$1 promo cards with $15 postage = no sale. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yet I just purchased a card from topps card group on Facebook and cost was $4.50 no tracking or insurance but for a cheap card I was willing to take the risk

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yet I just purchased a card from topps card group on Facebook and cost was $4.50 no tracking or insurance but for a cheap card I was willing to take the risk

you maybe willing to take the risk but the ebay sellers are not although why they should be worried about losing a 1 dollar promo i've no idea.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
When it comes to sending cards from the US to UK, the only cheap method appears to be to maybe put it in a hard plastic, throw it in white envelope, put on an airmail stamp and kiss it up to God. No tracking, no insurance, no buyer protection and little to no protection from PO machines or mishandling. If it gets there, it gets there, and no one blames anybody if it doesn't.

Obviously this would be insufficient for any card of any real value, but if it is worth little, then two parties might directly agree to do it. No eBay seller would agree for any item sold on eBay. They might agree if you had direct contact and it was a private sale off eBay. Even in a private sale or trade, the minimum for a padded envelope with some form of tracking is around $15 now from the US to UK.

I know its a very frustrating situation, but sellers do want to get rid of these cards and most have no interest in ripping off anyone on mailing. It's just the cost and the forced rules involved. If the buyer is willing to assume all risk, you might talk someone into just letter posting it, but not through an eBay sale. They won't risk problems with eBay and I don't blame them.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

you maybe willing to take the risk but the ebay sellers are not although why they should be worried about losing a 1 dollar promo i've no idea.
Do bear in mind that with an eBay sale if it goes missing the seller has to refund the $1 for the card AND the postage paid by the buyer. So the loss to the seller can quickly mount up.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

They won't risk problems with eBay and I don't blame them.

I don't blame them either.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
But still $32 for 1 card that could sell at $1 or $100
I won @$25 shipped to a friend in US for $4 then on to me tracked and insured Still $16 cheaper that's a massive saving go figure
?