Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    The Melty Misfits Series 1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Melty Misfits Series 1
 Login/Join

Picture of Dougnddeb
posted
I have a complete base card set of 60. Then there is an 80 card error/variation set. Does anyone know if there is a error/variation checklist?

Thanks,
Doug

Posts: 15 | Location: Dyersburg, TN | Registered: August 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dougnddeb:
I have a complete base card set of 60. Then there is an 80 card error/variation set. Does anyone know if there is a error/variation checklist?

Well, sort of. The Buff Monster has an image of the 80-card uncut sheet (with the variations) on the website.

Time for internet eyestrain. The sheet shows the "regular" variant cards; there were also misprinted error cards, including those that were offered in a 4-up boxtopper panel. (Series 2 has 8 "planned" variants, and there's an 80-card uncut proof sheet for that set as well.)

For Series 1, I can't describe the variants completely, but four are printed with either black numbers or white numbers: 16b 17b 18a 29a. The others are probably all sticker-back variants like different puzzle pieces or sketches or puzzle versus checklist: 2a&b 3a&b 4a&b 6a&b 10a&b 11a&b 25a&b 28a&b. (These are the 16 cards that are printed twice on the 80-card variant-set uncut sheet.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: allender,

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's the lone pack of them I got at Comic-Con. The wrapper indicates this version of the packs was an SDCC exclusive, so I think they are all regular cards except for the "Messed Up Melvin" which is marked as a Comic-Con exclusive on the reverse side.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was also an 28b Ralphin' RALPH in New York Comic Con 2012 exclusive packs.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Lots of "Buff Monster", going around lately. They're having some sort of Hello Kitty 40th Anniversary celebration at an L.A. Museum (or some such place) this weekend, big enough for coverage on the Southern California TV news networks.
The reports showed some of the items in the exhibit including vintage Hello Kitty pieces plus newly commissioned art including designer toys, sculptures, and paintings. One of channels had a nice lingering shot of a Hello Kitty themed anniversary painting with numerous Melty Misfit characters painted into the background all around Hello Kitty. They didn't credit the artist, but it was obviously Buff Monster, who must be synonymous with the rapidly melting ice cream motif in modern art at this point.
(Luckily, it is still there for the taking in literature. I am, in fact, now 1,400 pages into volume 1 (of a planned eight volumes) in a series of books telling the history of a family whose fortunes ascended the most thrilling highs and plumbed the deepest valleys of despair simply as a result of a lack of proper refrigeration coupled with unseasonably hot temperatures.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sidekick graciously gave me custody of the Series 1 uncut sheet before it was raffled away at the Card Talk breakfast and provided me with the Series 2 variant sheet. I also learned that some of the Series 1 "error" cards were planned, where they printed two colors on a sheet, rotated the sheet 180 degrees and printed the other two; and some where they used gold ink instead of magenta. Each error was limited to about 5 copies. The Series 1 variants:

2a - Completed blue puzzle; Magenta row 3 column 4
2b - Green row 1 column 4; Blue row 3 column 4
3a - Sketch segment; Magenta row 3 column 2
3b - Green row 2 column 2; Blue row 3 column 2
4a - Completed blue puzzle; Magenta row 4 column 3
4b - Green row 1 column 3; Blue row 4 column 3
6a - Sketch segment; Checklist
6b - Green row 4 column 3; Checklist
10a - Sketch segment; Magenta row 3 column 1
10b - Green row 2 column 1; Blue row 3 column 1
11a - Checklist; Magenta row 3 column 3
11b - Green row 4 column 3; Blue row 3 column 3
16a - Black #; White #
17b - Black #; White #
18a - Mixed-Up MILTON; SDCC exclusive Messed-Up MELVIN
25a - Magenta row 1 column 3; Sketch segment
25b - Blue row 1 column 3; Sketch segment
28a - Magenta row 2 column 1; Checklist
28b - Blue row 2 column 1; Checklist
29a - Paintin' PAYTON; NYCC exclusive Starin' KAREN

The Series 2 variants are eight with a special "NYC" puzzle back showing "the front of Buff Monster's New York studio." The "a" variants have a broad sidewalk band at the bottom, while the "b" variants have a broad green band at the top, which distinguishes them from non-variant puzzle pieces.

31a - 34b - 43a - 49b - 62b - 65a - 66a - 70b

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are also color variations on the promos

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post