Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Custom Binders

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/6987068326

September 06, 2012, 11:13 AM
papahet320
Custom Binders
I am new on the board here and relatively new to non-sports card collecting. I do custom binders for all my sets and was wondering if there was anyone here that did their own as well and would be interested in trading artwork?
September 06, 2012, 11:40 AM
John Tirohn
I don't do custom binders but would like to know how you go about creating them. When a manufacturer offers one with a set I usually buy one as I like to display my cards in a bookcase, readily accessable.
September 06, 2012, 12:14 PM
Bacall1
I would like to know how to make them also. I will make one for that hard as **** to complete Hunger Games autograph set (if I ever finish it) and the base cards.
September 06, 2012, 12:48 PM
papahet320
The binders I do are stock colored binders I get usually at Staples and I create inserts for the front, back and spine. I do all my covers in Photoshop and Illustrator. I do them for the fun of it and they usually turn out pretty good. I would be more than happy to maybe do some custom binders if any of you are interested.
September 06, 2012, 02:16 PM
Bacall1
I for one would like one. I have no artistic ability whatsoever, up to and including designing a cover for a binder. I would like one to house the Hunger Game set I am working on. My email should be on here. I'll be happy to work out a deal with you. Thanks for the kind offer!

quote:
Originally posted by papahet320:
The binders I do are stock colored binders I get usually at Staples and I create inserts for the front, back and spine. I do all my covers in Photoshop and Illustrator. I do them for the fun of it and they usually turn out pretty good. I would be more than happy to maybe do some custom binders if any of you are interested.

September 07, 2012, 12:45 AM
ifish73
I will scan my favorite card from the set and print it out at 8x10 for the front of the binder.
September 07, 2012, 08:36 AM
Andy28
I mix it up for the front of my binders. In my binder with comic-cover sets i have printed out 4 photo size comic covers for the front. In my Spider-man binder i have a color pin-up sketch of black cat that i got from an artist on another forum. In some of the other binders i use an "ultraprint" from one of the sets contained within. I also have one binder with newer sets that i just have a bunch of wrappers displayed in it.

Apart from the fact that some i really like the art on, i primarily use it as a way to quickly identify what sets are in that binder.
September 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
John Tirohn
Good information! Thanks...
September 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
mintoncard
I've been making custom binders for over 10 years now. As a graphic artist, I'm not restricted to what a card company releases. I understand that set binders aren't always available with a new release, either due to cost (where no binder is available), or limited in production (where after-market prices become absurd).

Topps has been stepping up their game with numerous on-line binder offers (Star Wars, GPK & Wacky Packages), so I've been picking those up.

Below is a small sampling of recent custom binders (just the fronts shown). NOTE: This is custom work, and in no way reflects any design or concept from any manufacturer listed.

September 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
TC00
Liking the customised binders ^_^ Great work!
September 13, 2012, 06:19 PM
TC00
I've wondered for a few years about how I'd go about making my own binders.

Might give it a try when I have more time - though not being an expert it takes me a few hours to mock up a trading card let alone anything the size and complexity of an A4 binder!

Definitly a thought for the future.
September 17, 2012, 09:23 PM
archifou
Nice binders mintoncard!
October 09, 2012, 01:35 PM
papahet320
Here are a few of the recent binders I have done...

October 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
dcole
Great job on those binders! I am going to have to try and do something similar for my NOTLD and Mars Attacks sets. What software did you use? Photoshop? Illustrator?

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.
October 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
papahet320
I use a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator. All the images are found online or I scan some in.