Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What do you do with duplicates?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you do with duplicates?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all

I am new to collecting and I just purchased two boxes of Star Trek 50th boxes and have many duplicates. I see many people buying cases what do you do with all your extra cards? We all know we won't make much money off them

Posts: 22 | Location: Cyprus | Registered: March 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
That is a very good question and really well presented. However, I have no idea, I have a house full of the things!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well i volunteer in a charity shop and i take all my extra singles and put them into plastic bags and we sell them to the kids for not very much. This puts cards into the hands of children and raises money for our local hospice so it is a win situation for everyone concerned.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Well i volunteer in a charity shop and i take all my extra singles and put them into plastic bags and we sell them to the kids for not very much. This puts cards into the hands of children and raises money for our local hospice so it is a win situation for everyone concerned.

That's such a cool thing to do you get the joy of a full set and the joy of helping others Smile

Posts: 22 | Location: Cyprus | Registered: March 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Depending on the set I can usually give them away down the local pub on quiz nights Smile . Panini Americana 2012 was very popular as the quiz master often throws in a question about US presidents Big Grin .

It also helped me sell some base sets to people who were fans of particular shows but had never heard of trading cards.

Only time it ever caused trouble was when I had a bunch of the Playboy Centrefold of the Month cards and a couple of wives found them in their husbands coat pockets when they staggered in after a few pints Twak .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I keep 99% of everything and I am running out of room. However, since the card companies are doing everything they can to discourage my collecting habit, the accumulation has slowed down considerably.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If its duplicates of certified autograph cards, relics or other hits I always keep them.

If you mean the base cards or insert sets, I give the ones from suitable titles to the neighbor's kids. Duplicate cards from sets that might disturb the parents Big Grin generally go to my local hobby shop for a bit of credit.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I sell my duplicates and very rare occasions trade some.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
However, since the card companies are doing everything they can to discourage my collecting habit, the accumulation has slowed down considerably.

I am almost gone myself. The cost of a box almost always is more then the fun/ collectability I get out of so I pass on so many more products then I would have in the past.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Send em to me! Smile

At this rate it may be a while b4 I get a base set...

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
If I ever end up with duplicates I ALWAYS sell them. I see no point whatsoever in keeping multiples of the exact same thing so recouping some money, whatever the amount, is always useful.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I try to trade them. Those that don't make it in trades, I donate to charity.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
If we are talking about base cards... well, this will upset some people, but I used to throw them all out. Now, if they are appropriate, I give them to my wife. She is a school teacher and puts them in her classroom. I can't give 8 yr olds Game of Thrones cards though, so they might still hit the bin.

Autographs or chase I sell on eBay or try and trade, though. I have no use for multiples of the same card.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I toss them in the trash.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Honestly I'm that lethargic that base and regular chase end up stored in boxes and don't see the light of day for many years. If they're costume cards they end up on eBay, and I don't think I've had many duplicate autographs for a very long time.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Originally if there was complete duplicate set (or close to)
or chase cards I didn't need I'd:

SELL ONLINE: I'd sell it online (or collect/trade the to complete the set before selling) to a collector (or dealer) who could use it.

FORUM TRADE:: Then I used duplicates to trade and get what I needed for my sets with spare cards I didn't need.

FORUM GIVE AWAY::Eventually it got time consuming to trade so I simply did a massive free (including free shipping - despite protests from some kind forum folks) give away a few years back (Close to 2,000 cards) on the forum which was very successful and culled my collection massively and gave me a feel good factor.

DONATE CHARITY:: Now when I come across sets I don't want I simply donate them to charity (good will) and that's that.

Happy collecting!

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post