Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
What do you do with duplicates?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/6987045186

March 31, 2016, 01:24 PM
Tollickd
What do you do with duplicates?
Hello all

I am new to collecting and I just purchased two boxes of Star Trek 50th boxes and have many duplicates. I see many people buying cases what do you do with all your extra cards? We all know we won't make much money off them
March 31, 2016, 02:01 PM
steve j
That is a very good question and really well presented. However, I have no idea, I have a house full of the things!
March 31, 2016, 02:20 PM
wolfie
Well i volunteer in a charity shop and i take all my extra singles and put them into plastic bags and we sell them to the kids for not very much. This puts cards into the hands of children and raises money for our local hospice so it is a win situation for everyone concerned.

March 31, 2016, 02:31 PM
Tollickd
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Well i volunteer in a charity shop and i take all my extra singles and put them into plastic bags and we sell them to the kids for not very much. This puts cards into the hands of children and raises money for our local hospice so it is a win situation for everyone concerned.

That's such a cool thing to do you get the joy of a full set and the joy of helping others Smile
March 31, 2016, 05:03 PM
Triple-Frog
Depending on the set I can usually give them away down the local pub on quiz nights Smile . Panini Americana 2012 was very popular as the quiz master often throws in a question about US presidents Big Grin .

It also helped me sell some base sets to people who were fans of particular shows but had never heard of trading cards.

Only time it ever caused trouble was when I had a bunch of the Playboy Centrefold of the Month cards and a couple of wives found them in their husbands coat pockets when they staggered in after a few pints Twak .
March 31, 2016, 05:27 PM
cardaddict
I keep 99% of everything and I am running out of room. However, since the card companies are doing everything they can to discourage my collecting habit, the accumulation has slowed down considerably.
March 31, 2016, 09:47 PM
Raven
If its duplicates of certified autograph cards, relics or other hits I always keep them.

If you mean the base cards or insert sets, I give the ones from suitable titles to the neighbor's kids. Duplicate cards from sets that might disturb the parents Big Grin generally go to my local hobby shop for a bit of credit.
April 07, 2016, 08:19 AM
kane1
I sell my duplicates and very rare occasions trade some.
April 07, 2016, 11:11 AM
barobehere
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
However, since the card companies are doing everything they can to discourage my collecting habit, the accumulation has slowed down considerably.

I am almost gone myself. The cost of a box almost always is more then the fun/ collectability I get out of so I pass on so many more products then I would have in the past.
April 08, 2016, 11:28 PM
Komodo
Send em to me! Smile

At this rate it may be a while b4 I get a base set...

April 09, 2016, 01:46 PM
X
If I ever end up with duplicates I ALWAYS sell them. I see no point whatsoever in keeping multiples of the exact same thing so recouping some money, whatever the amount, is always useful.
April 10, 2016, 09:48 AM
stevetrek
I try to trade them. Those that don't make it in trades, I donate to charity.
April 10, 2016, 09:24 PM
Jason00
If we are talking about base cards... well, this will upset some people, but I used to throw them all out. Now, if they are appropriate, I give them to my wife. She is a school teacher and puts them in her classroom. I can't give 8 yr olds Game of Thrones cards though, so they might still hit the bin.

Autographs or chase I sell on eBay or try and trade, though. I have no use for multiples of the same card.

April 15, 2016, 11:45 AM
Chris Cline
I toss them in the trash.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/
April 17, 2016, 11:08 AM
rwn410
Honestly I'm that lethargic that base and regular chase end up stored in boxes and don't see the light of day for many years. If they're costume cards they end up on eBay, and I don't think I've had many duplicate autographs for a very long time.
August 05, 2016, 06:36 PM
TC00
Originally if there was complete duplicate set (or close to)
or chase cards I didn't need I'd:

SELL ONLINE: I'd sell it online (or collect/trade the to complete the set before selling) to a collector (or dealer) who could use it.

FORUM TRADE:: Then I used duplicates to trade and get what I needed for my sets with spare cards I didn't need.

FORUM GIVE AWAY::Eventually it got time consuming to trade so I simply did a massive free (including free shipping - despite protests from some kind forum folks) give away a few years back (Close to 2,000 cards) on the forum which was very successful and culled my collection massively and gave me a feel good factor.

DONATE CHARITY:: Now when I come across sets I don't want I simply donate them to charity (good will) and that's that.

Happy collecting!