Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    America at War - Band of Brothers (iCardz)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

America at War - Band of Brothers (iCardz)
 Login/Join

posted
PLEASE SEE THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE FOR PICTURES

iCardz released the America at War - Band of Brothers set earlier this year.
Lest We Forget Collector Cards
The cards have been well received, although they are not appearing on the secondary market in any quantity to make them easy to collect.

Following is a list of known cards.
Thanks to David R, Don Norton, and pcetodd for filling in some of the blanks on this and the promos list:

HOBBY BOX: Since iCardz is primarily interested in the educational value of these cards, they are in packs. However, you receive one complete set in every box with no extra cards:

1 set of America at War D-Day - 143 cards
1 set of Band of Brothers - 49 cards

AD1 promo for The Pacific
AD2 a salute to veterans
AD3 promo for the Binder
AD4 about Valor Studios (company working with iCardz to secure art and autographs from veterans)

2 Instant Win cards (see previous post)

Autographs/Sketches. This has changed at various times in the past. At one point, you could choose to receive an EXTRA autograph or sketch in addition to the autograph in the box. For the longest time, you were guaranteed 1 auto per box, as promised on the back of the various promo cards.

BE AWARE: Currently, iCardz says that you can POSSIBLY receive one autograph or sketch in your box. As of As of September 2010, and presumably for all remaining product. the autos and sketches fall at 1 in 6 boxes:

FAQ

Sketches: It appears though Ingrid Hardy has 50 sketches on her site
HERE
, she sent iCardz 100 finished pieces, and they were all inserted into the product. I will try to confirm this soon. Also, it appears the sketches are NOT all of men who gave their lives in Europe. Someone with more sketches will need to confirm what the backs of them say if a soldier survived and came home after the war.

Autographs (struck through indicates cards that did not make it into this set):

SP1 - Lynn "Buck" Compton
SP2 - William Guarnere
SP3 - Forrest Guth
SP4 - Edward "Babe" Heffron
SP5 - Clancy Lyall
SP6 - Donald Malarkey
SP7 - Earl McClung
SP8 - Amos "Buck" Taylor
SP9 - Ed Tipper

a list of promos will follow...

Please check My Blog

-

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nicnac,

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Authentic WW2 memorabilia prizes have been given out with the random prize card redemption codes in the boxes:
Authentic WW2 memorabilia prizes have been given out with the random prize card redemption codes in the boxes:
There have been 2 US winners of WWII memorabilia so far. Prizes for the US site are generally authentic WWII US military lapel pins.
Prizes for Canada at War, Lest We Forget - Canada include authentic Canadian military memorabilia such as medals, shoulder flashes, etc.

About text on the website stating that there will be sets following Easy Co. after D-Day, and whether this info is outdated, The Pacific replacing any further Band of Brothers sets:
"We have a number of potential sets in the works. At this time, the only set we have definite plans for is The Pacific, which we expect to release in late 2010/early 2011. Date TBA."

Posts: 486 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Like you Nicnac, I'm very interested in this series, and want to see more. But to succeed, iCardz will have to make their products a little more collector friendly.
The reason we see so few of these on the secondary market is they are pretty expensive. For my box of Band of Brothers cards plus the free autograph, I paid $120. The boxes contain one base set, and one big hit, in my case another autograph.

With an average box of nonsport or sport cards contains a set or maybe two, plus several foil inserts and usually two or three big hits, it's easy to see how collectors and dealers may be reluctant to spring for a box of iCardz product.

I understand production costs, and that iCardz is a small company, but other small companies have been successful with small runs such as Monsterwax, who features several sets per box, a sketch and autograph and prize cards for a competitive price.

One way iCardz could reduce costs is packaging. Instead of the paper envelopes and large printed box, since you are getting a base set, sell them as boxed sets. An auto or sketch plus a couple of extras such as prize card or various promos could be randomly inserted.

Also, it looks like iCardz is marketing these sets towards educators. In my experience, very few teachers today spend much time teaching about wars. The real market for this product is card collectors and military history buffs.

iCardz should set up a table at a card show, a military/gun show and a teacher's convention and see who buys these things.

While I'm griping about the cost and marketing, I am not unhappy with these cards, the D-Day set i got was first rate, and very historically accurate. I'd like to get more iCardz products, the Canadian sets and the pacific set.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Norton,

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PROMOS for America at War AND/OR Band of Brothers (I will not be discussing Canada at War in this thread)

Happy Jack - AaW: D-Day (unnumbered):

AaW:BoB (unnumbered) - Veterans Tribute Autograph Cards

Chicagoland Expo 2009 AaW:BoB (CH1):

Philly Non-Sport Show 2009 AaW:BoB (PH1):

Non Sport Update magazine promo (PR1)

Philly Non-Sport Show 2010 AaW:BoB tri-fold brochure...

...with a random card inserted into tabs...

...and a giant The Pacific promo inside...

Dave at iCardz informs me that the free promos that come with any box or binder purchase are PH1, CH1, and the AaW:BoB unnumbered promo (2nd from the top).
Thanks again Dave.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Do you get a complete set of those AD promos in one box ?

Nicnac, do you have an email address for Dave at ICardz ? I emailed them through their website about 2 weeks ago, but did not receive a reply. You can contact me via email at mistermycroft@msn.com Thanks !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don,
I agree with everything you have said. I have also invited Dave from iCardz to check in on Card Talk. Hopefully he does.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Do you get a complete set of those AD promos in one box ?

Nicnac, do you have an email address for Dave at ICardz ? I emailed them through their website about 2 weeks ago, but did not receive a reply. You can contact me via email at mistermycroft@msn.com Thanks !

David, yes. The box contains both sets, all 4 ad cards, 2 instant win cards, and either an auto or a sketch.

I have sent you an email with Dave's email address. I don't think this is a problem since it is a generic sales address.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of glen87
posted Hide Post
the four i have so far:

Guarnere, Lyall, Malarkey, McClung

Posts: 642 | Location: VT | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glen87:
the four i have so far:

Guarnere, Lyall, Malarkey, McClung

Glen87 did you get that Lyall for $49.99 from the bay?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of glen87
posted Hide Post
I did get it there, but it was only $29.99. got that and the mcclung from the same seller on march 15th. the buy it now was $29.99 each.

unfortunately, i am working on a set of these, so i do need that lyall. i can use a heffron, so if i run across any more, i will keep you in mind. email me if you want to work together to help each other finish this set

Posts: 642 | Location: VT | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,

i have got as far as unique autos, Compton, Wild Bill, Heffron, Lyall and malarkey

i have spares of Compton and Guarnere,

im looking for mclung to finish ths 6 easy ones,

i missed out on a tipper card on ebay Frown

do you have any idea of how rare the sketch cards are ??

Cheers
Andrew

Posts: 20 | Location: Adelaide South Australia | Registered: July 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
also on ebay there is a guy selling color copies of the tipper signature card, when i emailed him about the actual card his response was not for sale yet

also there is the odd sketch card on ebay as well, i purchased one today for 90 us so now i have 2 of those,

do you know how many sketch cards there are and roughly how rare they are

i have also obtained a 2nd set of the 5 promo cards as well,

cheers

Andrew

Posts: 20 | Location: Adelaide South Australia | Registered: July 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
there is a guy selling color copies of the tipper signature card, when i emailed him about the actual card his response was not for sale yet

Interesting.

quote:
also there is the odd sketch card on ebay as well, i purchased one today for 90 us so now i have 2 of those

I have been watching that card for months and was surprised to see it gone today Wink The more expensive one has been around for about a week.

quote:
do you know how many sketch cards there are and roughly how rare they are

willgull has posted a really nice link below.

quote:
i have also obtained a 2nd set of the 5 promo cards as well,

Do you have the Philly 2010 flyer?

Andrew. Looking at my trade bucket, and with the Philly 2010 promo set, do you think there is any way for me to get the extra Compton, and perhaps Guarnere from you?

http://picasaweb.google.com/11...utos?feat=directlink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nicnac,
Do you still need a Chicago promo? I never heard back from you. If you do, just email me your address and I'll send it off to you.

Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
Ingrid Hardy has shown 50 of the sketch cards she created on her site. Hopefully this link works.....http://rabidhorse.com/icardz.html

I dunno if these are all that were created but have also seen only a few of them surface.

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Geerts:
Do you still need a Chicago promo? I never heard back from you.

Hi Greg, I sent you an email with my address ages ago. It must have gotten swallowed up by your spam filter. Since then, I have acquired one for my personal collection so perhaps someone else here could do with it.

quote:
Originally posted by willgull:
Ingrid Hardy has shown 50 of the sketch cards she created on her site.

Fantastic! Thanks willgull. Seeing all 50 sketches like that (and I believe they are ALL in the set) is so much better than seeing 1 or 2 here and there showing up on the market.
Wow, they are stunning! Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
Wavey Hi Andrew, if you don't trade it with Nicnac, I need the AaW:BoB (unnumbered) promo (second in Nicnac listing) and I am also looking for the PNS1. Thanks.

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sad to see you go nicnac i just had a great score as well, still have some spare autos,

also just order 10 boxes i know maybe stupid but we will see Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Thomson:
sad to see you go nicnac i just had a great score as well, still have some spare autos,

also just order 10 boxes i know maybe stupid but we will see Smile

Okay, I calmed down and decided one rotten experience with a mod shouldn't make me punish myself by leaving this rare group of WW2 collectors.

Andrew, please tell what the great score was.

Also, I would be very interested in the following autos:
Guth
Tipper
Taylor
Compton

Check out my trade bucket, and remember I also have the Philly 2010 flyer promo.
http://picasaweb.google.com/11...utos?feat=directlink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
Hi Nicnac, cool to have you back.
I would be unterested by your unnumbered promo from Band of Brothers and , of course by your 4 different autos (email is in my profile).
I don't know how you guys do to find all these : every time I look on Ebay, I find nothing (if you except the day I bought my set for $9.99).

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my score was not that great Frown

autos 10

out of them only 1 i needed and that was Tipper

apart from that got 5 wild bill, 3 malarkey and 1 mclung

i did score another sketch card which i was thrilled about,
interesting with the Tipper Card i got the Sketch in the same box, have heard that rumour as well, that tipper was packed with sketch cards