Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    New Item for Card Storage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Item for Card Storage
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
I have been tired of cardboard storage solutions with no real standard in depth sizes for awhile.

Not to mention the wear and tear on the boxes over time.

New item from BCW looks promising for most card protection sizes. Widevision and Graded cards still need to find a different home.

https://youtu.be/2HcAq9HrIIs

Posts: 3479 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting. . . are you going to check it out?

Looks pretty well designed, but the price tag is possibly a deal breaker for me.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Interesting. . . are you going to check it out?

Looks pretty well designed, but the price tag is possibly a deal breaker for me.

I just copied this from their website

Weight: 4.80 lbs
Holds 3200 loose trading cards
Rows are wide enough to hold toploaders, magnetics, and deck boxes
Stackable
Includes 4 Card Bin Partitions
Hinged lid features secure, sliding locks
Interior Row Dimensions (WxHxL):
3⅛x 4¼ x 14⅜
Exterior Dimensions (WxHxL):
15 x 4¾ x 15

Pre-Order - Available: 02/15/21

$39.99

It appears that further partitions won't be available until June

regards

John

Posts: 1815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think finding a good way to store a large card collection is like trying to find a better mouse trap. You can get the humane ones, the expensive ones, the baitless ones, the covered ones, the poison ones, the ones you don't have to touch or see and the mice keep running around. In the end you go back to the good old $1.49 snappers with a dab of peanut butter and that's the end of them. Wink

These boxes look great for a professional seller that might want to take 2 or 3 to a show. Remember shows? But just to store thousands of base cards and complete sets and assorted cards that don't amount to anything in a closet or basement or garage seems unnecessary to me unless your whole collection can be contained in just a couple of boxes.

For bulk card collections nothing will beat those little plastic boxes in bigger cardboard boxes, or 5000 count cardboard boxes or binders. Its a question of maximizing space and knowing which box or binder contains what cards. You have to check once in while to make sure the cards aren't getting damaged under stacked weight or you need to replace a box/binder for some reason.

This particular product looks really nice as a display, but it wouldn't help me any.

Posts: 8363 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I might have to look into getting one of these to store all my extra base cards that are laying around in stacks or in their retail / hobby boxes. Looks like it would help clear up some needed space.

Posts: 362 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like that the big plastic box looks sturdy, accommodates singles in sleeves and top loaders, and is stackable but I'm not looking to replace my "storage system." I still have my 70's baseball and non-sports in the same shoe boxes they were in then. The boxes have held up. I still have cards in binders. I have a lot of promos in "mineral flats," cardboard boxes ranging from 1 to 4 inches high with a top that rather tightly fits over the bottom but I have most of them in Sterilite bins. I wish the company had stuck with the same design and volume choices, though. The newer ones are not stackable with the older ones in that they don't lock together in a similar way to those big boxes in the video.

Inside those bins are a loose mix of containers such as candy boxes like those open-top boxes that Lifesavers are sold in. They are the perfect size for cards in sleeves or top loaders face-up except for the Pep-O-Mint ones which have a slightly smaller box. I like that some of the smaller sets of the 90's had their own cardboard or plastic box.

Yeah, I look through my cards often enough to determine when some box (or box within a box) should be replaced.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think finding a good way to store a large card collection is like trying to find a better mouse trap. You can get the humane ones, the expensive ones, the baitless ones, the covered ones, the poison ones, the ones you don't have to touch or see and the mice keep running around. In the end you go back to the good old $1.49 snappers with a dab of peanut butter and that's the end of them. Wink

These boxes look great for a professional seller that might want to take 2 or 3 to a show. Remember shows? But just to store thousands of base cards and complete sets and assorted cards that don't amount to anything in a closet or basement or garage seems unnecessary to me unless your whole collection can be contained in just a couple of boxes.

For bulk card collections nothing will beat those little plastic boxes in bigger cardboard boxes, or 5000 count cardboard boxes or binders. Its a question of maximizing space and knowing which box or binder contains what cards. You have to check once in while to make sure the cards aren't getting damaged under stacked weight or you need to replace a box/binder for some reason.

This particular product looks really nice as a display, but it wouldn't help me any.

Posts: 1976 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to how well sleeved cards fit in this. . .

A while ago I removed most of my cards from toploaders due to weight and the amount of space they took up (and threw away the toploaders -- ugh!). Most of my cards are now in sleeves, then in deck boxes.

In general I like this approach, but I'm not thrilled with the deck boxes as the lids often seem to be in the way. Using a larger box with dividers like this might be a good approach, but if there is too much room side to side in the box for a sleeved card I would be concerned about damage.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
I might have to look into getting one of these to store all my extra base cards that are laying around in stacks or in their retail / hobby boxes. Looks like it would help clear up some needed space.

Be careful you don't spend $40 on a box that holds $20 worth of commons . . .

Posts: 1503 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I'm curious as to how well sleeved cards fit in this. . .

The depth of this box is for cards in both top loaders and magnet cases. Not so much for graded cards. It is the same depth as the super shoe storage box size.

As mentioned, I would not buy this for a bunch of loose commons or base sets. However; as my autograph collection has passed 2050 cards this would be a much better solution that what I am currently using.

Posts: 3479 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post